Cracks around door frames

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by RedHat, 11th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Hi all, hoping for some advise here.
    Lately I have noticed lot of cracks coming up near the door frames. Almost all them seem to be running at 45 degree angle. When we painted the house a couple of years back thye were dry wall puttyed and painted. But they are resurfacing now.
    All the doors seem to be fine - no sagging noticed

Its an old house on stumps on a mild sloping block, build around '80s - could it be settlement issue or soil movement?
    Do you think it indicates some serious underlying problem?

I'm thinking to get it checked by a structural engineer just for peace of mind. Any recommendations? I'm in Hills district (WPH)
    Thanks in advance.

upload_2020-5-11_14-19-48.png

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Our place is similar age and we got a few of these - I tend to just spakfilla them and paint over - something along the lines of "what the eye does not see...." :eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

When you say they ‘were dry wall puttyed’ what do you mean? Is ‘drywall’ different from plasterboard?

Do you mean new plasterboard was hung and stopped up?

Or do you mean the cracks in the existing plasterboard were were just filled and that these have now reappeared?

If the latter, were they scraped out and taped too, or just filled?

4. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

No new plasterboard was used. The existing cracks were filled with putty and then painted over. Dont think if any tape was used

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia