Cracking in brick work

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Tom87, 9th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tom87

Tom87 Active Member

Hi,
    I’ve noticed these cracks are starting to get bigger. Got a structural engineer coming this week but thought I’d ask for some opinions on how bad it is. TIA

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That much daylight can't be good. :eek:

3. Tom87

Tom87 Active Member

Nope, up for a bit of a costly repair I think

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's only single brickwork with engaged piers so it won't be too painful

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Looks very similar to our son's first place. Got a few underpinners in. Told three different things. Ultimately hubby dug right around the back of the house one story at back, two stories at front and put in proper drainage to stop the water getting to the back wall (for over 50 years had been like this).

Under the house, the slab had "heaved" and had these cracks opening on the side walls where the front had dropped slightly. No idea how long the cracks had been there. Advice from an old work friend (now an underpinner/builder) was to dig proper drainage and stop the soil from further uphill getting to the back wall (which had never been waterproofed and had wet soil sitting against it for over 50 years.

Then to allow the soil to dry out completely, see if the cracking stopped or if cracking changed with the drying out. If required, it could be spot underpinned under the front corners.

We'd also been told total underpinning required and we had injection chemical underpinner quote as well. Three different men, three different ideas.

Left it alone, dried out nicely, no further cracking. Cracks filled and house rendered and painted.

craigc, Bunbury and AxeLy like this.
  6. Tom87

Tom87 Active Member

That’s exactly why I thought I would ask. Im dbl storey at the back and the cracking is where the sub floor is. I’m on a hill and have a de watering system set up. I’d say it’s definitely from some sort of water issue.