Crack in the hallway

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by minhdung1911, 29th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Dear all

The agent just did a quarterly inspection and reported on these cracks. How serious is this crack and what should i do? I am really worried now

The IP is in Ipswich and was built in 2012.

Thanks all

Tommy

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

These would appear at first glance to be a designed crack and the building has failed do follow instructions on where to crack. (wisecrack).

Get a gyprocker to create more defined cracks and patch the ceilings.

A building inspection may find a root cause If it is not due to solely to dry weather.

3. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Thanks Scott. Sorry for the dumb question but could you please explain a bit more on your first 2 paragraphs? I'm totally new to this and would like to have some guidance.

Prior to purchase the IP, i got a pre-purchase building inspection and was told that it was due to the soil movement pr something similar.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

An ‘expansion joint’ (which I think is what Scott means by a ‘designed crack’) prevents cracking following movement of the structure of the building. Commonly used in large ceilings or long hallways.

If you need to put an expansion joint in, these days it would likely be hidden under a fake plaster ‘beam’ or similar.

The cracks in the cornice and wall should be patched, however they may open up again. The site how2plaster.com.au has lots of info as does the Renovate Forum - a great local site.

5. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Thanks Joynz. Can a handyman do this type of job? Because i'm in different state

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The cracks could have been there for years and you might not actually need to do anything if you don’t mind how it looks. You can ask the PM to measure the width of the cracks and check next inspection if they have moved.

The plaster might have been cut improperly around the opening, causing some of those cracks - in which case it might be more difficult to get a permanent fix. A plasterer should know what to do.

If you do get it repaired, be specific about what you want. For example, do you want the joint hidden, or just the cracks in the wall and cornice fixed?

7. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Thanks Joynz. I just want the cracks fixed.

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yes from a cosmetic/visual perspective. Not the cause of the cracks (whatever it is) if it hasn't stopped.

The Y-man

minhdung1911 likes this.
  9. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

Just remember if it is due to movement in the building you can get the cosmetic repairs done but you will probably end up getting them re-done in a few years time.

minhdung1911 and The Y-man like this.
  10. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

If i want to find the cause of the crack, i will need to engage a structural engineer. Is that right Y-man? Would contacting the builder help in any way given the house was built in 2012?

11. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Getting it re-done in a few years time is not too bad, at least not in a few months time.

SarahD likes this.
  12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

They'll probably tell you it's the way you are vacuuming the floor or something :D

The Y-man

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

If you do get them redone, don't waste time on a handyman, get a plasterer, you'll get a much better result. Im with the others, I would leave it 12 months, let it hopefully finish moving then patch it. Again, you may find yourself patching every few years. If built in 2012 should still be under builders warranty- try getting them back before the warranty expires if you can.

14. Scott No Mates

Only if it is a structural issue (rules vary between states so check warranty period).

15. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Yeah that is right, most likely you wont get them back anyway, even if it is structural, they will try to evade you til its out of warranty. Worth a try either way though

16. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Just goes to show that it’s not just houses built in 1912 that are susceptible to this. This is why I dislike new houses, what was once new must become old.

As for fixing it, grab some Gyprock joint compound, apply, sand and paint over it. Easy peasy, done it many times myself and I’m not handy.

minhdung1911 and The Y-man like this.
  17. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Hi Otie, unfortunately the PM just told me that the warranty already expired. I will wait for a few months to see how it goes. Thanks :)

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Found a crack in our kitchen. Didnt appreciate the gyprock approach

upload_2018-6-27_16-45-50.jpeg

SarahD and Propertunity like this.
  19. minhdung1911

minhdung1911 Member

Haha. I was going to ask how did you go about fixing it until i saw the photo

20. Scott No Mates

Bot sure If you can fix a crack like that.