COVID VIC: Whats your view on restrictions on small business

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by TMNT, 29th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Whats your view on these covid restrictions for small business in VIC

1. Completely fair

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Unfair but necessary

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Totally Unfair and over the top

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Restrictions are decided by experts, so I accept it

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

there is a lot of small businesses in Vic severely affected by these restrictions, including my work place, I know a few hospitality business owners and they are hurting, there is a lot of small business owners/industry people that understandably angry and a lot of request/demands to open the industries up, and that the government is too strict, the restrictions are unnecessary, the industry is being driven to the ground.
    This has been going on since early covid,

What is your take?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Perhaps you could link to some documentation explaining what the restrictions are and/or what has changed?

Elives likes this.
  3. random

random Well-Known Member

Ahh man , just bad , heart breaks for them , just sad and way overkill imo. l've had my own business most of my working life and understand and live exactly how small business works. Know all about what it takes to build a business, tough times, holding on, cash flows , margins , going out on limbs , the whole box of rocks and sadly l know exactly how all this is effecting them and how even just a few more at any particular time can completely bring many undone but this !!!!.
    lt's just damn sad and l don't see any reason why so many couldn't be still open. Even gyms, massive rents just for a start , nothing coming in yet what did they say with Sydney,think it was 700k people using gyms and not one case.
    There's 1000s of small businesses and factories could easily work through Covid. Heartbreaking stuff.
    Saw a show last night though and even qld was basically at a standstill , all through surfers, Gold coast , was like a morgue. l know, tourism but never the less, it was just surreal it was basically how Melbourne looks atm.

TMNT likes this.
  4. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

No it’s a disgrace. A lot of small businesses are now destroyed due to the incompetence of the Andrews government and their poor management of contact tracing and hotel quarantine.

Codie and MTR like this.
  5. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

Restrictions were required however there are too many contradictions and unnecessary rules

• Council workers could mow, however private business could not
    • Could have upto 5 trades on a building site, however a handyman could not operate
    • You can walk into Bunnies with a PowerPass, yet other retail outfits are closed.
    The 5km restriction is also ridiculous. So you can click-and-collect in your 5km radius, but you cannot click-and-collect outside that?

People have now hit the limit of what they will tolerate

MTR likes this.
  6. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly as you've said and that goes back to what l was saying , so many businesses and there would be factories and many other things too could easily still operate.

MTR likes this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’m generally ok with the restrictions (apart from the heartless discrimination against singles who live alone).

However my work laptop had serious problems on Friday morning.

Couldn’t work. One the phone to organsiation’s IT Dept all day. Very stressful with work deadlines that are not flexible.

Finally, they said it had to be looked at in person and I needed to order a courier for Monday and they would look at it then.

I live 3 minutes drive from work (under 2km). What's more, it’s on my direct route to the supermarket.

But we still had to have the laptop couriered there and back because I don’t have a work permit!

And if I did drop it off on the way to Woolworths, my workplace could be fined a serious amount of money.

However, there is no difference between me dropping it off in a contactless way and the courier doing the same.

Last edited: 4th Oct, 2020
  8. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Time to open up and obey social distancing rules.
    Get businesses off Jobkeeper and get this country firing again.
    Vic now has proper tracing and tracking so I don't know what the wait on re opening is for?

MTR and Serveman like this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Coz there was a potential superspreader event on the beach which we won't know the outcome of for a few weeks.... :(

The Y-man

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Property Baron

What:confused: what type of event was this?

11. The Y-man

That's a pain.
    But it also goes back to a point I made in another thread how ironically IT will be one of the issues that will stop offices disappearing overnight even if everyone is WFH!

Wife's work had a similar scenario of new starters and resignation (can you imagine contactless exit including return of equipment and onboarding! :D)

The Y-man

12. The Y-man

13. Property Baron

The Y-man likes this.
  14. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

Manufacturing is bar one industry.

I can go to Bunnies and mingle with the workers there, but I cannot Hire a tradesman to paint the exterior of my house

I can go to the supermarket where people do not maintain 1.5m, I can touch items and put them back on the shelf, but I cannot drive 6km for what is essentially a contactless click-and-collect.

I have seen council works, in a group of 3, mowing a nature strip, and edging a path, One on the mower, and 2 doing the edges in unison, not maintaining a distance and not wearing a mask, yet an elderly person was not able to have a single worker come and mow lawns.

There are numerous examples such as these.

The rules are arbitrary, as is the enforcement of the rules

Angel, MTR and Property Baron like this.
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I hope you took photos of the council workers and sent them to the Council.

Most councils outsource that sort of work to external businesses so they would appreciate the heads up.

I had a car accident and one of the policeman who attended wasn’t wearing his mask over his nose.

He was a bit miffed when I asked him to put his mask on correctly (he was standing less than 40cm from me!).

The Y-man likes this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

know a few cafe/restaurant owners/managers and theyve obviously been hit one of the hardest,
    been closed for in dining since march-ish, allowed to reopen for 2 weeks in July, and now closed again, and in-room dining wont be allowed until late nov at the very earliest,

gyms been hit hard too, one of the first to be closed first

im sure there is evidence saying gyms could open safely, while other studies saying they need to be closed

what gets to me is the serial whingers of aussie society, and those that have crowded to st kilda beaches yesterday type of people who jump on the "its all dans fault" bandwagon

yesterday I visited the super market, and there was a lotto shop that had a sign saying, closed early due to covid , the were a staff inside, and they shook their head at the customer indicating it was closed, this guy proceeded to yell out "F&** You Dan, you can go F yourself, " until security were called

17. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah cafe's coffee shops restaurants and like really break ya heart bc places like that can do pretty good up and running but it's a pretty fine line. l know this is all gonna run a lot of them under , such a shame yet there's things they can do to keep it pretty safe .

18. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Interestingly 37.5 % think the restrictions are decided by experts, The premier and his cabinet are not experts. They are overpaid servants driven by ideology and to satiate their ego's, who are incapable of earning a living that is not from the public purse. The experts say a lot of the restrictions are unnecessary and undesirable.

MTR and Property Baron like this.
  19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Isn’t the Chief Health Officer an expert? As well as those advising him?

They have definitely got a few things wrong - but it’s the precautionary principle.

Lizzie, TMNT and The Y-man like this.
  20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

regardless, the decisions are made by experts to a high degree, I find it hilarious that your average bogan karen or consipiracy theorist with an IQ of 80 thinks they know better

wylie and Lizzie like this.