COVID tests for travel

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lacrim, 22nd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I phoned just after opening and there was only one, which I bought. Asked at Woolworths when we were there around lunch time and they were sold out.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

one issue that I am facing is that I had covit before Christmas then got the letter of release from NSW clearing me from self isolation. Then I tested in order to get a flight, the test came back positive. Because I have a positive test I have to self isolate for another 7 days.

It seems the tests will come back positive up to months after you are no longer infectious which means even test that you have to clear yourself could result in another 7 days quarantine.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I swear a trained monkey could do a better job, but I fear the opposition are just as incompetant. Surely there has to be someone in either party that has a clue, or are we at a stage where the only people who want to go into politics are those incapable of working elsewhere.....and we allow them to rule the country?

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Total madness!

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A new website

Find a RAT

“Find a RAT”

Crowd reporting on current availability.
    @wylie

wylie likes this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It's potentially very good. But there are issues. The map view shows stock available in Coles Queanbeyan while the list view shows none. There are UX issues on the phone. I hope they can sort out the issues.

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

If you're all going down the RATs path then there will be little need for these two MBS items so thanks for saving the Federal Budget. Good to know you're taking personal responsibility for these issues. We certainly don't. :D

upload_2022-1-4_10-33-33.png

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Btw, I agree with your conclusion. But I defend her right to make the choice she did.

She was aware of the risks, but still went ahead. And I understand the reasons she did.

We raise children to be able to make their own choices. And when they make choices, we need to respect the choices they make. There are choices they make I don't agree with. I'll express my opinion, but that's it.

Her first day of covid was hell. If it was omicron, it was no mild disease. Diarrhoea, vomiting, extremely stiff joints which made it difficult to move. (She could still smell which is probably unfortunate given her diarrhoea). She could keep any food or water down.

Second day was a big improvement. She can eat and drink now.

Islay, Gockie and Lizzie like this.
  9. Terry_w

I did a phone medical consulation and the doc told me there is no requirement or need to continue isolating if I have the nsw health release letter. You can't get covid twice - but then she added that it could be possible to get a different strain. And after 7 days you wouldn't be infectious anymore. Even if someone else in the household gets covid you still don't have to isolate.

Also you are likely to keep testing positive for 4 to 6 weeks or possibly longer.

Gockie and noomi_nooma like this.
  10. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

so how do you travel if you can’t provide a negative test?

11. Terry_w

You can't!

12. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

Far out what a pain

Terry_w likes this.
  13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Not my experience my latest antigen has just come back negative (antigen tests easy to buy again in pharmacies). Symptoms for 4 weeks but much milder now, home antigen tests days 5, 15 negative, day 20 positive, 27 negative. Some others i know the same, tested negative within a week of positive.

14. Terry_w

I did a rapid antigen test that came back negative and then a PCR test at the airport after that came back positive. It is the PCR test that is needed to get on a flight and get into Thailand where I want to go. But I will try again in a few weeks and see what happens.

Lizzie likes this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a market for the return leg for people smugglers.... :eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

16. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Just announced, looks like we no longer need tests for interstate travel, yay.

PM’s announcement from AFR:

- All states are moving away from requiring a rapid antigen test for interstate travel - except for WA.

- NSW and Victorian state testing clinics will no longer do tests for interstate travel.

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hmm, details sketchy.

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Need more details. If that means positive people can travel interstate, it's a worry for everybody else on the same ship or flight.

19. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Yeah, but should come out shortly.

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'll be very very surprised (but happy) if QLD signed up for this....."All states are moving away from requiring a rapid antigen test for interstate travel"

Observer likes this.