COVID tests for travel

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lacrim, 22nd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure she will come out of it ok. But it's hard for her to take. The trip was to celebrate, and to recover from, coming out of lockdown in Melbourne. But it's a lot of money for a full time student to spend just for a different place to be ill. And she is quite distraught.

I guess it's exactly what many people are afraid of travelling at the moment. While there were so many precautions in Fiji, I suspect that, given the timing, she was infected on the flight.

2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

That brings back memories of the World expo in Shanghai 2010.
    No matter how early I arrived for the entry ticket to certain Pavilions I would miss out .:eek:

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just got a five pack - needed for our return to Qld.

Phoned the local Coles and they had one pack left - held them for 10 minutes while I rushed there.

Big relief to have that sorted.

wylie and Gockie like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'll assume its Omicron. Too easy to catch. And you are right, maybe it was simply from the flight or her travels to or from the airport.

One of the risks for travelling right now.

I'm in Tassie right now and it feels safer than Sydney, loads of people have it. If my partner also brought his computer here, we could have stayed longer..... I was even thinking 2 months!!

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I did a test at Sydney airport and it was very smooth. Lined up for 1 min and then straight in the tent. There must be about 20 testers in there. Results back in less than an hour.

But I am showing as positive still so had to miss my flight. You keep testing positive for weeks after the covid is gone.

Observer, Marg4000 and noomi_nooma like this.
  6. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

Was it a rapid test?

7. geoffw

Most countries requiring a test require a PCR test, not a Rapid Antigen Test.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I just read this post and googled two local Coles and one Woolies. All RAT tests out of stock, temporarily unavailable.

My friend's daughter has been isolating at home having had Covid. Her mother has been at the coast and I'm thinking probably had to stay longer than planned until her daughter has gone past her isolation requirements.

I've been calling several chemists and supermarkets for days to try to get her a RAT and there's just nothing anywhere. I guess all those people lining up at Coorparoo junction have also been calling for RATs to avoid lining up with others who think they may have Covid.

I can't help but wonder how safe it is to line up for several hours beside someone who may have it. But what else can one do?

I may send away for some RA tests because sooner or later, one of our family will require one.

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. Terry_w

no, the full PCR swab test. I did a rapid test at home before hand and it was negative

noomi_nooma likes this.
  10. geoffw

Kogan had tests yesterday, but they're not available today.

So if you find some, order them asap.

wylie likes this.
  11. Terry_w

I know someone who works in coles and they got me some. It seems the staff are buying them all up before they hit the shelves.

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I do have to question why she would take this trip in the first place - yes - getting out of lockdown but, as you said, a lot of money ... with a LOT of risk.

13. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

some people want to get on with their lives Lizzie. Good on her.

Terry_w and geoffw like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

There were packets at my local Coles (albeit nowhere near you ;)) - so grabbed another pack of five, to go with the three tests I still have it home.

Like black gold those things so I'm set - and I refused to be accused by the government of not buying them when they're available :rolleyes:

15. geoffw

The risk was a whole lot less when she booked the trip. Covid rates were very low pre omicron. Then, having paid for it, she didn't want to lose the lot. Even a week ago when she left, rates weren't quite as bad as now.

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I understand that - but she knew the risks and there would've been other, more local, places to go to celebrate that didn't have the same consequences

To me, travelling overseas atm, for pleasure that could wait another few weeks/a month is lunacy

17. geoffw

You have the benefit of hindsight. Covid looked to have been under control until very recently.

She is a student, and her time frame was limited. If it wasn't now, it was going to have to wait another year.

Her passion is other cultures. It wasn't about fun in the sun, it was about experiencing how people live in a different way of life. There aren't place in Australia where this is possible, short of outback communities.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Fair enough - but it didn't take hindsight to know this pandemic is a long way from over, that unexpected mutations would occur and travel overseas was risky. Perhaps it's simply a wisdom of age

19. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Keep trying. Suggest phoning first thing when the store opens.

I got the last box, asked the attendant (Coles, Melbourne) about more and she said all stores are getting them but they don’t know when or how many.

20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Thanis @Marg4000. I just called our local Coles (showing temporarily unavailable online). She said best chance is to head in at opening hour and I could get lucky.

This is for a friend, but I'm thinking I will order some online because sooner or later, one of our family will need one.

Edit: Most Werko kits are mostly sold out, but I grabbed what I could just now. It's too late for my friend's daughter (by the time they are delivered) but I guess if she can't get one anywhere else, at least I can give her one (better late than never).

Marg4000 likes this.