COVID tests for travel

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lacrim, 22nd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

So if you're traveling/driving into QLD from NSW, you need a test 3 days before and 5 days after you've arrived. I'm starting to lose it.

There should be one set of rules for the country period.

MTR likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I booked and paid for my ticket, paid for insurance and booked and paid for my quarantine hotel in Thailand and then caught Covid. My 10 days will be up before I am due to leave, but I hear it is hard to get a negative result on the PCR test for up to a few weeks so i probably won't make it.

3. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

All the best Terry, If you’ve run out of reading material:

CARDACI -v- FILIPPO PRIMO CARDACI as executor of the estate of MARCO ANTONIO CARDACI [No 5] [2021] WASC 331

Got the lot, trusts, wills, bankruptcy, wealth, younger wife, older (now deceased) husband.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My daughter is travelling to Fiji in a few days. A negative PCR test is a requirement - but she's having huge trouble getting one. Testing centres in Canberra had the house full signs at 7:30 am. The private labs are closed for the public holidays, and now the public labs in Canberra aren't accepting travel testing. The only chance she's got now is to get tested at the airport. Initially they only accepted testing on the day of the flight (an 8 am flight) but they're now accepting 24 hours before.

5. Terry_w

My non travel test took 4 days to get back

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Our tests done at midday Christmas Eve still haven't come back. It meant instead of us camping in Tas tonight, we've had to book self contained accommodation as the quarantine/border force people didn't want us possibly using shared facilities like the bathrooms or kitchens.
    Btw, one of my partner's bags was not at the luggage carousel after we got there, it's the bag with the tent in it and we believe it will arrive tomorrow.... so it wouldn't have really been possible to camp anyway without it.

The place we ended up booking last minute is great imo. Was a bit over $200 for the night, but I give it a big thumbs up. Got us to go to a location where we probably wouldn't have gone to otherwise but it's a lovely beautiful spot. Will mention it on here after we check out :)

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2021
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I can't believe they let you in if your test hadn't come back yet and you'd been potentially exposed at the volleyball tournament and transport. Have they tested you on arrival and told you to self quarantine until new results come back?

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Since the tournament I had 2 results come back negative - one done 2 days after the tournament (Monday 20th), and one rapid test on Christmas day. They won't accept either of those results though, and it's the PCR one we had on the 24th that still hasn't come back yet. If our results aren't back (and I still can't see a text saying the results are back yet) then we need to go to a local clinic in Tas to be tested. Test turnaround here will be much faster.

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2021
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nothing surprises me anymore, madness

Sackie likes this.
  10. Terry_w

some friends just went to get a test in the city at 10am and they had already closed the queue, so they then went to another one at the eye hospital and the same thing. They have to go and queue at at 7am to get a chance at a test.

Beano likes this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Simples...do not accept travel related tests get people to pay the $100 or whatever. Those tests are not essential.

Why are the feds so stupid? Surely they can get travel related tests charged via different centres. I am sure the Companies will oblige as they will get more money per test the govt. rate.

Casteller likes this.
  12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I guess travellers can still rock up to a free one saying "I don't feel well".... :(

The Y-man

Lacrim likes this.
  13. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

In Melb.. need a negative test to come back home. Was at a testing centre 9am on Boxing Day, 2hr wait then told it was closed. Came back in the afternoon and waited another 2hrs and finally got a test. Great way to waste time on my holidays.

Been nearly 48 hrs later and no test results. Flight is in 6hrs, but looks like I'm going to have to rebook. Even 72hrs may not be enough!

What a schmozle! It was all pretty obvious something like this would happen.

1100 cases in QLD anyway, not much different to Melbourne now, so it's all quite pointless.

*** stupid Queensland requirements are putting lots of strain on testing centres, and wasting time for those that may actually be sick, or where it is important to have negative test :mad:

Casteller and Terry_w like this.
  14. geoffw

Agree.

They've waived the requirements for a day 5 test, this relieving the Queensland testing facilities, but are not yet considering the Rapid Antigen Test for entry. By the time they do allow the RAT the private labs in other states which closed down for public holidays will be close to opening again. No pressure relief for any other state, only themselves.

They don't give a RATs.

15. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

There’s part of the problem.

Terry_w likes this.
  16. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Incompetent NSW gouvernement had months to prepare for a surge in tests once reopening and Covid start circulating. Not only did they do nothing to prepare for it, the BS narrative is now ridiculous. Where 3 months ago they were telling us, pleas come get tested if you have a scratchy throat, now it’s please don’t come get tested unless you are pretty much infected. I have a friend who attended a Xmas event at another friends place. The other friend tested positive on a self test. My friend attended a testing centre only to be told to go home and wait for the friend to get a positive pcr test - they were also made feel like they really should not be clogging the queue. Of course the friend tested positive. Now my friend is testing positive on a self test. He tried attending 2 venues yesterday, waited 3hrs at each only to be told sorry too late it’s closed. He’s now home self isolating while his wife (who is testing negative on self tests for now) is looking after the kids.
    The number of actual infections has got to be orders of magnitude higher than what the numbers are showing. Even people who are sick and who want to get tested can’t get a test, imagine the numbers who can’t be arsed, don’t care or don’t feel too bad. Madness.

Complete incompetence in not planning for this.

Elle Ar, wylie, Terry_w and 1 other person like this.
  17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Not if it is a travel form...is first question is are you unwell.....back of queue....:D:p...some common sense to prevent people gaming the system.

To me unless there is an emergency travel non-peak.....

18. geoffw

"I am a close contact of an active case". Easy to game.

But there are private labs who will accept people for travel tests upon payment of $150. They're just all closed for public holidays.

Daughter booked her trip to Fiji a month ago, when things were looking ok. Flights, accommodation and tours paid for. I don't think covid is a reason for claiming on travel insurance. But it's looking as if she won't be able to fly out, because she can't get a test.

19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

This is why I can't believe people are rushing to travel....this Virus Pandemic is not over.

However, I do reckon...that in the next 6-12 months...the virus will burn itself...well this is what was seen with the Spanish Flu. The reason for this is larger portion of the world will be vaccinate.....the virus will need to work harder and it will mutate hoepfully with lower seriousness and to something like the Flu....that is hoping.

In any case I am hoping for some travel in 2023...as I suspect we will see more issues in 2022 unfortunately. I am not getting any younger...so want some level of normality soon. I suspect there is a small chance of lock downs we cases exceed 10k per day in NSW.

20. geoffw

It was looking pretty good before omicron came along. For somebody who had been locked down in Melbourne, and had a broken relationship as a result, it was looking like a great tonic after the numbers were well down.

gman65 likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia