NSW COVID: NSW tenants will have six months to pay off rental arrears

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Simon Hampel, 4th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

NSW tenants will have six months to pay off rental arrears

Tenants will be given a six-month transition period to pay off balances accrued during the pandemic and set up payment plans with landlords.

But one regional NSW housing advocate has cast doubt on whether the new support goes far enough.

The NSW government has announced the measure ahead of the March 26 end to the moratorium on evictions, and the requirement for landlords and tenants to negotiate rental payments.

Minister for Better Regulation, Kevin Anderson, said tenants in arrears would have time to plan for how they would pay them down.

...​

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not quite: "Tenants will have six months to set up payment plans for rental arrears" according to the article. That could mean the tenant might pay an additional $5/wk to catch up (for the next 5 years) not to have it repaid over the six months.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

upload_2021-3-4_13-26-39.png

Great quality journalism there!

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Glad that I am getting my $0.04/day's worth out of that one.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I wonder how many people agreed to REDUCE rent or tenants who will argue they didnt defer anything - They were given a discount.

And seek terms to repay over 6 years. Locking in that tenant ? Tenant holds the power as they dont have to show proof do they but the owner is stuck with a debt and atenant will will want rent cuts on top. And you cant evict them. A deferred eviction rule. Great. Landlords now take on role of the Housing Commission.

I have a idea. The NSW Govt should setup a scheme where the LL and tenant agree. And the NSW Govt pays the owner imemdiately. Then the NSW Govt chase the debt and cancel car rego, drivers license etc if they try to bail on their commitment. Landlord is free to evict. What business is it of the state Govt to interfere and accept no responsibility ?