WA COVID and Rental Property WA

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ItsComplex, 5th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ItsComplex

ItsComplex Well-Known Member

I've a tenant that has been good last couple of years but recently looks to have missed a payment, PM advised me they has sent the below

I thought there was some kind of moratorium or protection in place for renters in WA at present until March 2021?

Any thoughts @thatbum @Jarrad Mahon or others

2. Jarrad Mahon

Jarrad Mahon Active Member

Property managers are not able to issue a breach notice or termination for non payment of rent during the Emergency period which has been extended till 28/3/21 and it would seem they have not updated their template emails.

Keep in mind though that this doesn’t excuse rent from being paid and will stay on your ledger so it’s best to have a chat with your manager and let them know what is going on.

If you your income/job has been affected there are a range of government support options available that are worth checking into- job seeker , job keeper and the rent relief grant.

Depending on your situation, your manager can help with trying to come to agreement for reduction and/or deferral with the owner.

If this is just a one off missed transfer and you are able to sort it ASAP it’s not going to have any impact on your future reference and it happens to the best of us.

Hope that helps.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah it sounds like just a template email. Not a great one for a number of reasons - its not correct in the current covid legislative scheme, but its also incorrect about the notice of termination because a breach notice hasn't been sent yet - it can't be sent before the expiry of the breach notice (the 1A anyway).

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It was my understanding that breaches and evictions could still happen for events which are not related to covid hardship. So if your tenant hasn't paid rent for some other reason then they can be breached and they can be evicted.

I was granted eviction for a client 2 weeks ago due to non payment of rent - as they weren't experiencing covid hardship - they just didn't want to pay rent.

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

:confused: I didn't realise it was an option available to tenants :D

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's not - you will end up homeless :p In this case he's gone back home to his parents and his parents who went guarantor on the lease have made good on the rent not paid. #kidsforlife #neverstopsbeingexpensive

Last edited: 6th Oct, 2020
    Propin likes this.
  7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I would be reviewing my relationship with my Property Manager. They take a lot of money off me I expect them to know the current rules and law

thydzik likes this.