Covid and face masks??

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Gockie, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

US currently looking at approving the sterilization of masks...in NY gone from 10,000-20,000 masks per month to 300,000 masks per month:eek:

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Face masks will help the wearer to avoid spreading disease. That’s why surgeons wear them - so they don’t breathe germs into open incisions.

They are not designed to prevent the wearer becoming infected, but certainly may help a bit. Main advantage I can see is that others may think you are infected with something, and keep well away from you!

And for those who sew and want to churn out 1 or 100:

How to Sew a Surgical Face Mask for Hospitals - Free Pattern

gman65, Rugrat, Joynz and 2 others like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Bunning locally seemed to have quite a few

Protector Respirator Kit

The Y-man

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If you want something to do while stuck at home this is a craft project.

Surge - MakerMask

The idea behind it is that it will help reduce community transmission of airborne diseases and at the same time, this will help save the commercially available masks for hospitals as they may suffer a shortage.
    It needs no additional layers.

I read through the instructions and it appears to be straightforward. It is mainly made of uses those reusable carry bags you end up with from supermarkets (which many people have a lot of at home).
    Have a great day at home :)

5. Gockie

And if you don't have a sewing machine... a stapler works! 20200331_084038.jpg

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not in Mentone, Melbourne the couple of times I have been in.

I would only be using it for sanding anyway, not covid prevention. I went to the Dr yesterday and a couple of doctors were using the P2 masks you get from Bunnings. One of them was wearing it upside down with the nose bridge by the chin!

When I mentioned it, he put it on the right way up but didn’t pinch the nose bridge which is crucial for correct fitting.

Clearly these doctors don’t have much DIY experience!

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2020
  7. Gockie

8. Gockie

My post from 29th March! So the things of that list that have been missed/failed down here for the second wave imo.
    1. Social distancing
    2. Enforcement of quarantine (tracking of people).
    3. Public compliance
    4. Monetary compensation for isolating.
    5. I don't see much use of sanitisers either.

9. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

In my suburban area of Melbourne a lot of good behaviour and application of the protocols is being shown by the overwhelming majority. Based only of my local suburban area, my response to those potential problematic areas to negate the spread of coronavirus is:
    1. Generally yes, but you do get a few who think it doesn't affect them. The 12-20yo in samll social groups appear oblivious than malicious...the older people are mainly just being disrespectful.
    2. Clearly failed in Melbourne. Not hopeful of this being resolved soon because the tracing and tracking problem has grown.
    3. Yes - Generally good from the few times I venture out and even before the new lockdown. Again, you do get those who think it doesn't affect them...and there is the occasional person who is just being absent minded and forgetting but they are normally ok when reminded.
    4. The VIC Govt has in place a financial system for those without sick leave or benefits as part of their job. The specific details, its accessibility and its ease to claim, is a different question I can't answer. It is being simplified by the VIC Govt.
    5. Every shopping centre I go to has sanitiser, the supermarkets have it, many of the shops appear to have it as you go in the front door. Initial thoughts are, people do apply the sanitiser where available.

Overall, based on my own visual experience, the overwhelming majority of people are doing things right where they can. Foot traffic is very low in comparison to 'normal times' hence it is the areas that require Govt intervention that is failing e.g. contact tracing and enforcement for positive ID cases. Maybe other suburbs are different?

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

With bigger loops they could be used as jocks lol.

Don't know why this ad just popped up while reading this thread.

gman65, TMNT and Gockie like this.
  11. Melbourne_guy

Too small;)

gman65 and datto like this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^^^ show off :D

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

not a good idea to include a cat in the photo whilst mentioning stapling together!

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2020
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think we have moved on now its Shields, eye goggles being recommended

15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think a space suit would solve the pandemic.

Expensive? yes

Heavy? my oath, about 120 kg, so not too much jogging around.

Effective? Yes

16. Melbourne_guy

You reminded me of an investigation I once had into the heavier versions of this. This is lightweight and coronavirus friendly - it even has the pouch at the rear to fit in some shopping. :D:D

upload_2020-8-1_19-32-7.png

The above is a bit of fun but in Europe during the wars, I am told by people (a lot older than me) had to carry around their gas mask in the event of German air attacks. A quick google confirmed it and I found this:
    upload_2020-8-1_19-36-4.png

Previous generations have had to take protection for their own health by wearing a fully fledged mask....the lightweight coronavirus masks in comparison are very comfortable. If wearing a mask, social distancing and handwashing will help progress life, then that is what has to happen until something better comes along. It will buy time. In my view, anyone suggesting life can't continue because mask wearing is compulsory is making excuses and failing to embrace the solutions.

Lizzie and datto like this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That's what I believe to be accurate, but if most people wear them, then it would work. And if I was near someone with Covid I'd prefer to have a mask than not. There is some reduction in what would reach my face.

Lizzie likes this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

This. In black with Iron Maiden emblazed on the front.

[​IMG]

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I remember my mother telling me that she had to take a gas mask to school during the war. This was in Britain before her family were evacuated.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  20. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We have been wearing masks, as Queensland Health asked us to, while we were in the centre of the Logan/Sunnybank infection cluster.

Seems we have dodged the bullet with only 3 community transmissions, all contained.