Covid and face masks??

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Gockie, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

A number of Asian countries (that have higher take up of face masks) have basically gotten over the peak (for now) of the Corona Virus.

Maybe there’s something to this?

Masks Save Lives - COVID-19
    12826CF9-D9A9-4785-9857-5E79BB98E16B.jpeg

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There has been a bit written about the protocol for wearing masks without increasing the risk of infection. It’s not as easy as it sounds.

For example, if you wear a mask, it gets coughed on or ( more likely) you touch it with your hand, then you could transfer virus from the outside of the mask to your face etc.

Also, correlation is not causation. I.e Just because A and B exist together does not mean A caused B.

Finally where would we get the masks? I can’t even find one to do some sanding!

Last edited: 29th Mar, 2020
    samiam likes this.
  3. Gockie

Don’t have answers to all, but:
    1. Guess the people in the Asian countries have a head start because they are used to it.

2. A friend made some masks at home using our sewing machine, I think something is better than nothing.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The common "thin" type you see people wearing (but don't seal very well!!) are relatively easy to get online now....

The Y-man

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

More stopping infecting others than stopping a person getting it?

wylie, Rugrat, Joynz and 2 others like this.
  6. Gockie

My friend says:
    They (the Asian countries) also had strict social distancing, enforcement of quarantine (tracking people), public compliance, no shortage of sanitisers, good governance, paid healthcare, $ compensation for isolating...

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

In Japan it is always social etiquette to wear a mask if you have even the slightest hint of a cold. Has been that way for as long as I can remember....

The Y-man

Rugrat likes this.
  8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Yes it was an interesting experience riding the trains

9. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I think face masks are both a symptom of and a correlation to curve flattening. I think the curve flattening is mostly to do with the willingness of governments and citizenry of North Asian countries to be proactive, make hard decisions early and take responsibility for their actions.

The face mask i think is partly a symbol of the citizens' willingness, but I'm sure they help reduce transmission as well. Governments acted early and went hard, and brought the citizens along with them.

We're more worries about the virus stuffing up our Friday night drinks.

wylie, Rugrat and Lizzie like this.
  10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

11. Gockie

COVID-19: WHY WE SHOULD ALL WEAR MASKS  — THERE IS NEW SCIENTIFIC RATIONALE
    The article starts:
    "The official recommendation in the United States (and other Western countries) that the public should not wear face masks was motivated by the need to save respirator masks for health care workers. There is no scientific support for the statement that masks worn by non-professionals are “not effective”. In contrary, in view of the stated goal to “flatten the curve”, any additional, however partial reduction of transmission would be welcome — even by surgical masks or home-made (DIY) masks, which would not exacerbate the supply problem. The latest biological findings on SARS-Cov-2 viral entry into human tissue and cough-droplet ballistics suggest that the major transmission mechanism are not fine aerosols but large droplets, and thus, warrant the wearing of surgical masks by everyone."

12. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Advice here is not to use them up as they are actually needed in hospitals and they don´t do much good for general public. If you´ve got symptoms or are more vulnerable wear one though. I had one good one but gave it away because didn't need it, I only go outside twice a week for 20 minutes and don´t go near anyone.

willair and Lizzie like this.
  13. hachoo

hachoo Member

Having seen footage and streams of Tokyo - Japan, I wouldn't say their citizens being too concerned about social distancing. There are less tourists so the streets are less busy but natives are still living pretty normal way of lives. Like many, questions have been raised about the testing and reporting rates in those asian countries. In Australia, we seem to be testing at a far greater rate than elsewhere.

The average person doesn't put on or use a mask properly so it is a waste the majority of the time particularly when there are shortages in areas of the health industry. Similar can be said for people using gloves in public when handwashing and sanitising would be far more beneficial.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. Gockie

But people could make their own facemasks or even use a scarf to cover their mouths and noses. So the argument for shortages goes away.

xactly likes this.
  15. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Hopefully the situation should be improving , but when the lock down in Hubei was in full swing , companies that operate in Australia and also in China were ordering face masks and respirators in pallet quantities from the industrial supplier warehouses and sending them back to their factories in China .
    At the same time stores like bunnings had run out of stock as their new stock had all been diverted to N.S.W and VIctoria due to the fires.
    We managed to get some from the aisle where all the potting mix was sold.
    But the main area where safety gear was sold were completely sold out.

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Note that this article has not been fact checked. Interesting though.

I still think masks may lead to a false sense of security - no matter what type they are. Leading people to go out to the supermarket etc more than they would usually.

Are people disposing of their masks after every use? Or are they taking them off and reusing them the next time they go out?

Last edited: 29th Mar, 2020
  17. hachoo

hachoo Member

Personally I haven't made a face mask nor know how to at the medical standards required. If you're sick and require to cover a cough, sneeze or any other symptom from an ailment then like directed, you should stay home. A scarf or other clothing garment won't filter particles entering or exiting your system adequately. To say the argument for shortages goes away when you can make your own at home (and not to the same standard) is misinformed.

Furthermore, surgical masks protect the user from contaminating the outside environments in most cases but not the other way hence if you are worried about COVID-19 airbourne/droplet particles, they are commonly not suitable and as many have stated - a waste of medical resources.

Lizzie and Joynz like this.
  18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There is a youTube video I saw from some academics in Hong Kong showing how to make disposable masks with two layers of paper towel a layer of tissue, masking tape and flexible wire!

Perhaps useful in an emergency...

19. Gockie

My friend who does scientific research for her work (works in the labs at UNSW) made a bunch at the beginning of March, so it probably isn't the worst idea in the world.

20. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member