COVID-19 - Will it change how we work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Scott No Mates, 17th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

With many businesses making plans to allow those in non-customer facing roles to work from home, do you either as a business owner or as an employee see the changes which are being made and implemented as a reaction to the Corona-virus becoming the norm for your place of work?

In my personal experience, I have telecommuted fulltime to the point where the office is now only used if a formal meeting space is required (serviced office 2-3 km from home). All of the staff work remotely, we use the phone/cloud-based suite of programmes for all of our deliverables.

The resultant outcome is that we do not need to travel to an office (saves most people 1+ hours/day), we aren't out and about, more family time however we do need to be more disciplined in the way we approach work, managing our time etc.

This is not something which everyone can adapt to as they require the social interaction between other staff or where they require tuition/supervision/mentoring however works well in my situation.

Do others feel that if this experiment in self-isolation works, this may result in wider ramifications for the commercial property industry with greater instances of hot-desking (non-dedicated workspaces), shared workspaced or complete working from home scenarios and a reduction in demand for office space and reduced accommodation expenses for the business?

lixas4, Player and thatbum like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Unicycle everywhere... except after ankle surgery Premium Member

I actually think yes.

I think people who always work 5 days a week from an office will have extra flexibility like bringing it down to 3 or 4 days, and people with reasonably flexible workplaces already will be even more flexible.

From home though, you can work really hard, or be really slack, whereas to be really slack from a workplace is harder.
    So for employees there just needs to be some sort of monitoring. Not micromanagement style, but just something to keep people accountable as what has been achieved in the day.

Ps. We have a generous internet allowance and given the situation our provider has now made it unlimited for everybody. Good because I've been WFH for the last 2 weeks since stuffing my ankle.

3. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Apart from demand for office space the commercial sector will also be impacted by decreased demand for food, hospitality and retail space. If hundreds of thousands of workers all started working from home that's thousands of coffees and meal transactions that aren't going to occur each day. Workers may still eat out or grab coffee but it will be in an area closer to their home instead of the CBD. For residential property there would also be less incentive to live as close as possible to the CBD as instead of having to travel 5 times a week it could be down to once per week.

4. RPI

RPI Property Lawyer, Town Planner Business Member

It's definitely about to change how a large number of:
    1. CBD eateries work (they are going under fast);
    2. Commercial Cleaners (people losing work fast - already dropping to 1 clean a week instead of multiple)
    3. Plenty others

We have had lots of contracts terminated, business deals, leasing etc all put on hold. Impending bloodbath unless something changes quick

5. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Definitely agree. You're ahead of the masses.

Aside from tools such as Zoom, skype, WhatsApp and the like, there are innovations coming with virtual meeting/collaboration rooms that are cross platform (no need for VR headsets necessarily) where people will be interacting in the room irrespective of where they are in the world. Clumsy to start with avatars, but they will get better. Definitely watch this space..........

I have invested in an early stage education focused venture along these lines. Future will change the way some commercial real estate is purposed and may allow (to a greater degree) people to live in lifestyle areas without being close to CBD's and corporate centres. Not all vocations or businesses, but more and more will be relying on remote networking and communication.

This is a perfect beta/pilot to see how things function even with the tools and tech we have today. Less air travel and carbon footprint may also be benefits.

lixas4 and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You'd think cleaning should be ramped up with this threat.

skater likes this.
  7. RPI

RPI Property Lawyer, Town Planner Business Member

No need to clean if there are no staff in the office.....

wylie likes this.
  8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

Nothing changes for us - we've worked this way since day 1. Love it.

9. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Short Spotless? Not listed anymore :(

Whether you’re a seasoned investor or first home buyer, TheOneSpot will help you make smarter decisions buying property. Use these free tools to assess affordability & lifestyle fit, inspect with checklists & easily compare properties side-by-side.