COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2022

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by geoffw, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Donate it to countries where even first round vax is not happening..... easy said but logistics is a pain..... :(

The Y-man

3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

That study didn’t say if symptoms were less severe though.

-getting it: meh
    -transmitting it: regrettable but what can you do
    -suffering from it: the main problem IMO

I think these studies need to focus on #3. If it doesn’t help with the first two but still helps with #3 then I’ll still be in line for shot 4, 5, 6 etc.

The Y-man likes this.
  4. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Recent CDC info points to natural immunity being more powerful than previously thought:

Seems vax followed by infection is the best protection.

Spain is extending recommended time for booster to 5 months after covid infection, from 1 month. Booster after 2nd dose stays at 6 months.
    Spain approves longer waiting period for booster shots after Covid-19 infection
    "From now on, this body recommends waiting five months after infection before giving a patient a third dose of a Covid-19 vaccine. Until now, this waiting period had been set at just four weeks, an interval that had been widely criticized by virologists and immunologists who felt it was too short and even alerted of the risk of causing “problems in the immune system.”"

Based on this I'm going to wait, so for me that will be booster 11 months after vax, if I get it at all.
    Will mean I have an invalid vax certificate for a few months since they expire at 270 days, but Spain scrapped them on Friday, decided vax mandates for entry to venues, restaurants, etc. don't achieve anything.

Luckily my upcoming trip to Australia finishes at 264 days, need a vax certificate to re-enter Spain. That has been scrapped also for EU arrivals, but not Australia yet but expect it will eventually.

5. jaybean

Awesome analysis, awful video title. Anti-vaxxers already have a hard enough time contextualising things and this won’t help. Just looking at the comments already confirms this lol. (for anyone who doesn’t know what I’m talking about, “natural immunity” in the context of never having had it has become one of the key pillars in the anti-vaxxer movement).

But great info to have. Next question is how long this natural immunity lasts after an infection. I assume we’ll have good data on this within the next 6-12 months.

Edit: I disagree with his criticism that we’re doing mass immunization when what we should be doing is testing people’s antibodies first and tailoring a solution for each individual. In a perfect world - definitely. But how on earth would this be done on a global scale?! That’s an utterly ridiculous suggestion in anywhere other than first world micro-nations like Singapore.

Last edited: 31st Jan, 2022
    Casteller likes this.
  6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I have some reservations about Dr John Campbell. He is a retired nurse and has a PhD in Nurse Education, as well as a BSc in Biology. As an educator he is good although a little dogmatic. However, he does tend to drift into providing opinions on immunology and virology which are outside of his area of expertise.

Shazz@ and jaybean like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I have become disillusioned with him. Early on he was fabulous for getting the message out but recently he's strayed into controversial areas and dabbling in contradicting the experts

SatayKing likes this.
  8. SatayKing

I know what you mean @Lizzie. When I first saw him I checked out his credentials and considered what he was proposing was good. Then I started to notice a couple of things.

First, he commenced suggesting a treatment regime using a particular web-site with a number of research papers as the basis of expressing his views. Both the treatment he was proposing and the web-site have been called into question by Cochrane, amongst others.

At the same time his vid production became more professional and I started to wonder about that.

I don't know. I stopped watching his vids quite a while ago.

Lizzie likes this.
  9. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Shame that natural immunity has become almost a taboo topic.
    This large CDC survey shows how effective it actually is, against Delta at least. Booster shots could be being wasted on millions of people who already have high immunity, while half the world hasn't even had a first shot. Re. Dr John he is just one of many coming to the same conclusion, some governments also.

At least in Europe a previous infection extends the vax passport by six months. I missed out on that since I didn't confirm the TAR test with a PCR, a requirement.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2022
  10. SatayKing

While Dr John is an intelligent person, he is a retired nurse and now a YouTuber and nothing more than that. He is not:

an epidemiologist;
    an immunologist;
    a virologist;
    a public health expert.

He has no journalistic oversight for his channel and no peer review to verify his "research" expressed through his channel.

I'd be very wary of taking on board anything he implies as "truth" where it is nothing more than a view of an apparently popular YouTuber. Delivered with authority but he doesn't actually have any.

By the by, he has now gone on a quest to prove that only 17,000 deaths in the UK were due to Covid with no underlying cause and so the remainder were natural deaths.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2022
    Shazz@ and Lizzie like this.
  11. jaybean

Cause idiots take great things and ruin them.

When I was a kid I used to love conspiracy theories and building thought experiments with them, but I always knew they were highly likely BS. But they were fun. Then you have these whackos that take things too far and ruin it.

Natural immunity is real, yes, but this video was in the context of natural immunity AFTER you've been infected. These guys will twist this to mean natural immunity without being infected or immunized. They've taken a completely legitimate thing and turned it into a loaded word that people can't even say with a straight face now cause it's tied into memes and anti-vaxxer propaganda.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. SatayKing

You may find this interesting @jaybean. Published November 2021. The bolding is mine.

"Natural immunity is the antibody protection your body creates against a germ once you’ve been infected with it. Natural immunity varies according to the person and the germ. For example, people who have had the measles are not likely to get it again, but this is not the case for every disease. A mild case of an illness may not result in strong natural immunity. New studies show that natural immunity to the coronavirus weakens (wanes) over time, and does so faster than immunity provided by COVID-19 vaccination."

COVID Natural Immunity: What You Need to Know

jaybean likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

This is one of the main reasons why in Australia we are still strongly recommending that people get booster shots.

登录 Facebook

upload_2022-2-1_10-22-42.png

SatayKing likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

15. Simon Hampel

That advice is specifically for saliva based RATs - not for nasal swab based RATs.

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The article is about saliva based RATS ... and reinforces the step as per the instructions in the test kits.

Seriously ... we live in a world that has to include instruction warnings not to stick a hand in the blender and/or drink car brake fluid ... how did we get so stupid?

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Feb, 2022
  17. Simon Hampel

Lawyers.

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Feb, 2022
  18. SatayKing

One lawyer in the town = penury
    Two lawyers in the town = prosperity.

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

20. jaybean