COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

For I moment I thought that was a Christmas card you put up.... :eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Newcastle ... tempted to try Belmont hub, but it is an hour each way with no guarantee and mingling with a few hundred of "my closest friends"

The Y-man and Hetty like this.
  3. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

Complicated to formulate a cure or complicated because the virus is complicated?

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Complicated because the nature of the virus is to mutate

5. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

Yes, the virus mutates, so why are people still taking the same vaccine and boosters now that were originally formulated some 18 months ago even though the virus has mutated since then.

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Because they still work at reducing hospitalisations if a person contracts Covid. Plus it has been shown it is less severe for those who are vaccinated.

The virologists and immunologists wont stop attempting to improve the vaccines.

By the way they are still researching vaccines for small pox just in case it comes back. Same with Ebola, Zica, Influenza, measles and a myriad of other nasties.

Lizzie, wylie and George Smiley like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Had a not so great night but still not as bad as the reaction I had to my second Pfizer. High heart rate (over 100 resting), fever and massive night sweats but feeling much improved this morning just tired. From past experience I should start to feel my old self by end of today. I'd still do it again if I had to get a second booster.

Last edited: 31st Dec, 2021
    Baker, Lizzie and The Y-man like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

"Cure" is a difficult concept when dealing with viruses - they tend to mutate and are notoriously difficult to eradicate in the body. This is especially the case with highly infectious diseases like the flu and caronaviruses like COVID.

About the only virus they have managed to cure in some patients is Hepatitis C - where some antiviral treatments have proven effective at eraditcating the virus in patients.

But unlike influenza and caronaviruses which can be spread by aerosol inhalation - Hepatitis requires direct contact or transfer of infected fluids (blood, etc), so it's not like it readily jumps hosts.

Most viruses are very resilient and evolve quickly - meaning that treatments and cures are often pointless because the viruses are so good at working around them.

There are plenty of treatments being developed - and while these are not being sold as cures - they can certainly lessen the impact of the virus on an infected person.

So to say that nothing is being spent reasearching for a cure is not really accurate - and also ignores the reality of dealing with a virus.

Do you know that there are diseases that we've pretty much eradicated in modern society - especially in Australia? We've achived that by way of vaccines. Vaccines work by teaching the body how to fight an infection - allowing the body to effectively cure itself in many cases.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the HIV virus - scientists thought they had a "cure" back in the late 90s, only to discover the virus merely went into hiding in the body and that treatment is lifelong. So, 35 years since first identified, multiple millions are being spent annually searching for a cure for this virus.

10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Although to be fair - we've come a long way in that time and HIV is no longer an automatic death sentence, with treatments being fairly effective.

Life expectancy is still lower than the general population, even if infection is detected early and appropriate treatment received - but still significantly longer than the average 9-11 years of life expectancy with no treatment.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Agreed - but there is still no "cure", only lifelong treatment

12. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Sound exactly like me last night, plus body shakes. The graph of my heart rate over night tells the tale.
    Not sure if it's because I'm also still feeling a migraine from two days ago, but I am useless today.

Interestingly, I only had mild after-effects from 2nd Pfizer.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We both had Moderna today after seeing our GP. Feel perfectly fine four hours later, drinking plenty of water.

Pharmacist said it is half a dose, and has very few adverse reactions. Fingers crossed.

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That was also one of my reasonings for getting Moderna as it's a half dose vs the full dose of Pfizer that really knocked me for six.

15. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

My dose was at 10:30am, didn't feel the side-effects until about 1am that night.
    Hope you don't get any.

wylie and Shogun like this.
  16. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Thanks, kids mum is my ex was bringing stuff to my apartment. No longer possible so used Glovo for the first time last night.

Spain reduced the quarantine from 10 days to 7 but we missed it by two days, and the 10 days means we miss 3 Kings eve Jan 5 which is a bummer, it's bigger than xmas or NYE. Maybe 9.5 days is ok since we'll be outside anyway.

Marg4000 likes this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I have a sore arm at the injection site, but no other side effects so far. I'll see how we pull up tomorrow morning.

{Note from mods - this thread continued here: COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2022}

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Jan, 2022
    GreenTreeFrog likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.