COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Such inventiveness! Now to sit back and listen out for the braying of the "Give it to me now" mob.

"Melbourne researchers have turned one of the world's most-used drugs into a nasal spray which they hope could prevent COVID-19 transmission.

Key points:
    • The nasal spray is expected to be effective against emerging COVID variants, including Omicron
    • The drug will be trialled in 340 Victorian households over the next six months
    • The spray does not require refrigeration and could be distributed widely
    Northern Health medical divisional director Don Campbell said he had a "crazy idea" that the blood-thinning drug heparin could stop the virus growing in cells."

It started as a 'crazy idea', but researchers think they've found a way to combat COVID using a common blood thinner

Gockie and geoffw like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We were keen on sticking with AZ booster (old style vaccine).

I booked hubby early last week for AZ booster at our local pharmacy. They had plenty of spots this week too. Confirmation came saying it would be Moderna, so I cancelled until we see our GP this week.

Meanwhile, two doctors we know said they chose Moderna booster, as it seems it may give better protection. So this morning I thought I'd book two appointments for Moderna, for after we see the GP this week.

All appointments are going fast, or gone. Bookings now are available mid January, some into February.

I booked two on 7th January and kept looking.

I managed to find two together on the other side of the city this Friday and one disappeared while I was booking. I've got the second one booked for Sunday.

I'm thinking our GP will confirm what other GPs have said, and agree we go with Moderna. If so, we will have our boosters this weekend and I'll cancel the bookings for January 7th. They will be snapped up.

It seems very clear that with Queensland numbers exploding, everyone is rushing to either get vaccinated, or have boosters.

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Very good.

I am hoping they will have anti-viral for COVID-19 in tablet form shortly to replace vaccines. It is amazing how quickly this has come ....if we can only do this for common chronic diseases. Really amazing....scientists are just absolutely amazing....they should be paid more just like our health workers on the front line. I irritates me to see desk jockeys in admin positions paid more than nurses. Nurses being paid less than teachers does not make sense...teachers are reasonably well paid given they get another 6-8 weeks of holidays.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm getting Moderna tomorrow from the chemist run clinics as my booster. Moderna isn't available at our state run clinics, only GP and Chemist clinics. I was keen to do some mix and match and use it as booster on my 2 x Pfizer vax.

wylie and Mark F like this.
  5. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I am doing the same Moderna booked for 8 Jan. To me it makes sense to have different vaccines especially to have a standard type (AZ for me) and then a mRNA based booster. I suspect the advantage is in tickling ones immune system in slightly different ways.

wylie likes this.
  6. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Same, booked for Moderna tomorrow. It's been nearly 4 months since my last Chinese-made vaccination, and nearly 7 months since my 2nd Pfizer.

@Westminster how are you feeling today?

7. Westminster

I had my Moderna around 11am and my arm started feeling sore at injection site maybe 3-4hrs after. It's now 9hrs after and it's stiff and sore to raise the arm but it's not stopping me doing anything. Last vax I got some side effects the next day so I'll report in tomorrow

Baker and The Y-man like this.
  8. Westminster

@Baker happy to report still feeling good except for the arm which caused me to wake up when I rolled onto it at night. A friend who also had his booster is feeling a lot more symptoms today than me.
    Fingers crossed I continue to do well and you breeze through your ultimate mix and match with 4 different vaxes

Baker likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Tried to bring my booster forward and was basically told that, due to supply issues, I can't bring it forward and might even be pushed back.

This government handling (state and federal) has been a farce. Bulk rapid tests won't be available until end January, trying to prevent testing so "numbers" go down instead of fixing the testing itself and bringing forward boosters without supporting actual supply

10. Westminster

That's a real shame to hear that you can't get an earlier appointment. Bunker down until you can get it.

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

No choice what you get here as a booster, just whatever they have on the day but normally Pfizer or Moderna.

Ineligible for a few months anyway because I have covid. Also ineligible for PCR since tested positive on home antigen test and that's enough now. Hopefully the vax certificate will be extended 6 months based on covid infection, need it for travel later.

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Wow!
    Don’t you have walk in vaccination hubs?
    Daughter and her hubby in Bundaberg walked in yesterday, jabbed (Pfizer booster) and out within an hour!

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

How are you and you son getting on?
    Hope you are getting better.

Casteller and The Y-man like this.
  14. Casteller

Son is better but me no, it knocked me around quite a bit, fever and vomiting last night, hard to breath, no food since Monday. Lungs are a bit less clogged though today (using a strong expectorant) and I can do more things instead of lying in bed, so I think it has turned the corner.

Gockie, Marg4000, Sackie and 3 others like this.
  15. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Get well soon

Casteller likes this.
  16. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

Did your doctor prescribe any medication?

17. Casteller

I did an online consult with my health insurance, because of the clogged lungs they recommended a strong type of expectorant Fluimucil Forte 600. Kids mum had some she dropped it at my door yesterday, then she tested positive to covid also.

I suggested an antibiotic which is what I used for pneumonia long time ago but was quickly brushed off, no good for covid (viral)

18. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

I find it absolutely scandalous that governments will spend billions on vaccines and millions coercing people to get the vaccine against what is supposedly a potentially deadly virus that if you are unlucky enough to get could cause you serious long term harm if you don't die. Yet they spend nothing researching for a cure. Then if you do get it they just send you home with a bottle of cough medicine.

I wish you and your wife a speedy recovery.

Observer and Terry_w like this.
  19. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

It's sort of complicated much like this representation of the Omicron spike.

upload_2021-12-31_7-39-23.png

Lizzie likes this.
  20. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Are you living in a rural area? I only looked at one of the many local clinics offering Pfizer boosters and they had hundreds of appointments available but I’m in western Sydney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.