COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Apparently there is no evidence to suggest that the vaccine prevents transmission.. Now i may be mad, but surely through the extensive trials they would have been able to figure this out..

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think there's a huge difference to making a personal choice whether I want to fly, and if that means having the vax to do so, that is within my control, my choice.

Right now, we are going through being disallowed entry to a state when we have outbreaks, but I do believe if things like driver licences being cancelled, there would be total uproar.

I have a friend who is an anti-vaxer. She enjoys cruising, but I would assume she and her family will make the call on whether they ever fly or cruise again. If it involves vaccination, they will holiday another way.

3. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Requiring a vaccination certificate to travel is nothing new, I remember needing to show the little yellow vaccination booklet many times years ago to enter countries and board flights.

Many countries in Europe now signing up to an electronic covid vaccine certificate requirement to travel internationally, early stages but a dozen or so countries including Spain are joining it. So travelling around Europe in the future will probably need a vaccine, but there will be the possibility to bypass via quarantines and/or test (140 euro each) every time you cross most European borders, at least that's the case right now (although moot point here since tourism banned at the moment only residents allowed entry with a negative test result).

Firefly99 likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep they do - but they also have the right then not to fly anywhere

As for "not been proven safe" - personally I'd like the Oxford AZ vaccine, as it utilises old technology that has been around for over a century and proven to be safe ... the new technology RNA ones that, from all the scientific peer reviewed data I've seen they appear to be safe, I'm a little reluctant on getting them

5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

There are already various virus variants already so who is to say which vaccine will be needed and how many new ones for new variants? If it's like flu I heard possible 60,000 new strains so does that mean we will need new ones every new strain? Similarly how our yearly flu vaccines are modified.
    I then don't see how any business can enforce any rules they are not medical scientists and how will they specify and dictate which one. in case of deaths are they accountable or doe the government cover their liability? So many unknows at this stage?
    Norway suspects 23 old people died from Covid vaccine - ScandAsia

6. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

7. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Lizzie likes this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The second one involves hydroxychloroquine as well as invermectin.

A study in the Lancet a week ago shows some relief in a small group of patients. It was a small study, designed just to determine if a larger study is worth pursuing. Their conclusion is that this warrants further study.
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(20)30464-8/fulltext

So if I had the choice between a drug which has only yet tentatively shown to relieve some symptoms, against a vaccine which has been shown in large trials to be effective in 90% effective in preventing the onset of Covid-19, I know which one I'd choose.

These vaccines are not DNA altering, despite "information" from Facebook suggesting otherwise.

Lizzie likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You misspelt mis-information.

The correct information is science knowledge 101 ... DNA can change mRNA ... it is impossible for mRNA to change DNA ... the vaccine uses mRNA technology so therefore it is impossible to change DNA.

I flunked high school and even I know that bit of info

Covid-19 Vaccines Can’t Alter Your DNA, Here’s Why

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Jan, 2021
    Travelbug, Firefly99, wylie and 2 others like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

11. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this applies for yellow fever if you’ve been to certain countries.

12. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sounds like Europe is entrenched in a squibbling cat fight, with civil war only a hairs breadth away ... :eek: ... from memory the AZ is being manufactured in Queensland, so wonder if we can hold into ours too, if Europe descends into chaos

Vaccine uncertainty as EU tightens export rules

14. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Would be pretty harsh if we hold out with zero cases in our country and watch other countries in chaos with people dying. Would not surprise me though if we tried.
    We need to be careful we do not become too big for our boots, we have a tiny military and rely heavily on our allies.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree - it would be incredibly selfish ... but do wonder if we can hold onto 25% of what we had "ordered", so our most vulnerable are protected, and release the rest

Firefly99 likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

How though...you can hardly walk through the aisles at Chemist Warehouse without bumping into something...and they're contemplating having queues of people in there waiting for a jab?

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think you’d need to book an appointment.

Shazz@, Lizzie and wylie like this.
  19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Lateral thinking has never been in my arsenal :(

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That's what you have to do for the flu shot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.