COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I'll provide my view of some issues surrounding the vaccination rates. It's a valid statistical sample of one and only applies to Canberra although it may be true elsewhere.

First, I messed it up and had a flu vaccination first, so had to wait two weeks before receiving an AZ vaccine. If I had used my brain better I would have received the first dose in April and by now be fully vaccinated.

I understand at present well over 50% of 60+ year olds in Canberra have yet to receive the first vaccine dose. Complacency by that group may be a factor there.

However, if choosing to attend a GP clinic, it may not have the capacity to run a vaccination clinic all day during surgery hours every day of the week it is open. As well, there may not have been a sufficient supply of the vaccines even if the clinics could have functioned on that basis. I understand AZ vaccine supply overall is plentiful now but it relies on getting it to where it is needed according to the demand. I don't know the logistics arrangements which are in place.

Last year flue vaccines were a bit of a mess, for example, the pharmacy had plenty but the GP surgery across the road had not received an supplies. It is possible a similar situation applies with the AZ vaccine at least.

So I wonder if these aspects (complacency, supply, resources) are factors in the apparent low vaccination rates for older people.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

11.4mil doses have made it into arms in Australia - but only 3.45mil are fully vaccinated ... that means there are nearly 8mil of us impatiently waiting for our second dose. Once that second dose is done, that'd be around 50% of the adult population ... so we're getting there ... just not as fast as we'd like to

Screenshot (30).png

Westminster, wylie, Hetty and 2 others like this.
  3. SatayKing

Interesting there @Lizzie.

I'll take the following information at face value. It's from the SMH.

upload_2021-7-29_14-52-28.png

4. SatayKing

I guessed it was somewhere but it was difficult to find.

Halfway down the page. It is difficult to read so best go to the actual site. I am assuming it is taken from Medicare data so there will be lag.

COVID-19 vaccines

upload_2021-7-29_15-1-50.png

Gockie likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

11.4M doses total
    3.45M fully vaccinated, 2 doses each = 6.9M doses

So 4.5M waiting for a second dose

Lizzie likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Math was never a strong point

7. geoffw

I think you just forgot about the fully vaccinated having had two shots.

8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Those are for the total population.

This is for the adult population - 40% have had at least one dose.

Attached Files:

SatayKing and Lizzie like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahahaha - you know me better than that - I'll stick by my math inability ;)

geoffw likes this.
  10. SatayKing

Thanks @Firefly99.

The breakdown by age, first dose, second dose, State is in the link I provided in post #784 above which is the Department of Health's web-site.

Firefly99 likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Firefly99, unicorntears and geoffw like this.
  12. SatayKing

I have read some businesses, such as CBA, are preparing to take any available AZ vaccines and offer it to their staff and families as well as possibly the general public. They would be using the health teams currently in place which already provide flu vaccinations.

They are not silly. Well aware of the need for a healthy workforce so there is a monetary aspect underlying this proposal.

I assume it would not be undertaken without regard to the risk of TTS. According to the ATAGI with the AZ vaccine:

"Although estimates of risk based on small numbers of cases are imprecise, the risk of TTS is estimated in Australia at around:
    • 2.6 per 100,000 in those <60 years; and
    • 1.7 per 100,000 in those ≥60 years."
    "ATAGI reinforces that the benefits of vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca strongly outweigh the risks of adverse effects in all Australians ≥60 years."

There is a great deal more in the ATAGi advisory which can be accessed here:

ATAGI update following weekly COVID-19 meeting – 28 July 2021

Gockie likes this.
  13. SatayKing

Lizzie likes this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I just read this article about what happens or changes after someone is fully vaccinated.

I'd heard from a doctor friend that whilst the Pfizer is reported to give better protection in the lab, in the real world, Pfizer and AZ seem to offer very similar protection. This article touches on this.

So you're vaccinated? Great! Here's how it changes things for you

KateSydney likes this.
  15. SatayKing

It appears there was a miscount on vaccination information for the ACT in late July.

upload_2021-8-3_11-16-54.png

16. SatayKing

If this is an indication of the issues faced......

"More than 11,000 people in the 30- to 39-year-old age group have rushed to book their Pfizer vaccinations, overwhelming the ACT Health booking system before 8am despite registering two weeks in advance.

The ACT government will start allocating vaccinations to the next age group from Tuesday morning after opening eligibility to accelerate the program.

The government had invited 30 to 39 year olds to pre-register for their jab two weeks ago in attempt to streamline the process and avoid lengthy delays for the booking system.

But some have reported being unable to book their appointment, despite responding to a message they received just hours after the age group became eligible.

One ACT resident said he received a text message inviting him to book at 7.21am and was told the queue was full at 7.36am.

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said all booking allocations had been exhausted until at least mid September. Earlier bookings may become available if vaccine supply increases."

Lizzie and unicorntears like this.
  17. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

The incentives and prizes are unnecessary. They just need to provide the vaccines and make them easily accessible.

Lizzie likes this.
  18. geoffw

That will only be useful for the willing. It won't help the hesitant and the skeptics.

SatayKing likes this.
  19. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

A $300 payment is a fairly small carrot. For some $300 is a decent amount of money, for others it's a nothing amount.

This is one time I'd suggest a bigger stick works better than a small carrot. Restrict people from large events and international travel based on vaccination status.

I don't think it's right to impose these restrictions in the long term, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to restrict unvacinated gatherings whilst there is still a declared 'state of pandemic'.

Stoffo and Lizzie like this.
  20. Spets

Spets Well-Known Member

Piston_Broke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.