COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I know vaccination reduces risk of death, hospitalisation and serious effects from Covid.

I’ve read/heard it doesn’t fully prevent transmitting Covid, but does it reduce the rate of transmitting?

SatayKing likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yes, my understanding is because you have prior exposure to what the virus looks like, you’ll have a much shorter infectious period because your body is primed to fight it quickly as it recognises the virus particles already and can quickly react.

As a result, your body will recover quicker. In most vaccinated people your body will have a much lower viral load too because your body is already primed to fight it and the virus cannot get a chance to get the upper hand.

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2021
    Propin, Millie and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Millie likes this.
  4. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Not sure why stating the fact that Covid is a mild disease against most people is ruffling a few feathers.

Again, it doesn't mean that anyone is 'expandable' and again I said the vulnerable should be prioritized for vaccines before any one else.
    Vaccinating everyone else doesn't mean that the vulnerable will not get infected in the future with the current vaccines.Hopefully, it will help with herd immunity and less mutations but that is not guaranteed.

As for me having a "historical attitude of being anti lockdown", I'm not sure where you got that from but I am anti lockdown now with vaccines available that's for sure.

You seem to be only thinking about the physically vulnerable which is a good thing for sure but how about the millions who are mentally/emotionally/economically vulnerable because of these lock downs? Why are they ok to be expandable?

KBHV, Codie and Shazz@ like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

For "most" it's a fairly mild disease. But there's still a sizable minority with severe impact. Hospitalisation, breathing difficult, heart problems, brain fog, and death. Earlier in the pandemic, perhaps 15% of cases were hospitalised. While that may be smaller now, that didn't take into account other severe side effects.

"Anti lockdown with vaccines available". Isn't that a bit premature? Perhaps we should wait until more people are vaccinated. 11% fully vaccinated, 30% partially, is nowhere near enough.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You pointed out, on numerous occasions, that the majority that died had comorbidities ... which is true ... and also implied that they were old, and in poor health due to not looking after their health (diet, exercise, smoking etc) ... and that we shouldn't lockdown to protect them, instead relying on vaccination. Which is all well and good ... if there was enough vaccination to offer them protection.

Several of the young I mentioned in my previous post have being trying to get vaccinated but "don't qualify" yet

My point is that many of those those with "comorbidities"are in this vulnerable situation due to no choice or actions of their own. And they are not necessarily elderly.

Yes, once fully vaccinated then open up ...

wylie likes this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

"and also implied that they were old, and in poor health due to not looking after their health" this is all your imagination. I never said or implied that. All i said we should not just rely on vaccines as a silver bullet, we should rely on prevention too like using Vitamin D and good health in general.

There is definitely enough vaccines if we concentrate on vaccinating the people who need it most. I am not suggesting to stop the current lockdowns, definitely not in Sydney but we should change tact for the near future and not wait until most of the country is vaccinated in many months from now and keep on locking down every time there are cases in the community.

Anyway, for some good news, seems like the vaccines are actually still having good efficiency/efficacy against the latest Delta strain so i stand corrected on that. Below are some results from recent studies from the UK/Canada/Israel:

Screenshot (21).png

Full video below:

Gockie and Lizzie like this.
  8. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I think people need to talk to their doctor before having the vaccine. For example, I know an elderly lady who was knocked back for the vaccine because her blood pressure was too high. If you have high blood pressure you need to talk to your doctor. Other issues include impaired kidney and liver function and blood disorders.
    Please see your doctor.

paulF, The Y-man and wylie like this.
  9. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

You may well be right but I don’t trust the media reports about this. The more the media is pushing the more people are starting to resist. It’s an experimental vaccine and I think it should be an individual decision made between yourself and your doctor. Many years ago my mother had the flu injection and her blood pressure went from 128/80 to 240/140. She had early stages of heart failure and the cardiologist said never again.
    The other point is that many adverse reactions from these vaccines are not being reported by some doctors and the mainstream media seems intent on down playing this. We now have 87 people with blood clots and I think one needs to talk to their doctor and not get advice from the media or a politician.
    I know one doctor who has advised one of my customers to hold off till next year when more evidence and data has been reported,

MTR, The Y-man and Codie like this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Absolutely it should be a decision made between you and your doctor - especially if you have existing medical conditions or are on medication - or if you are just unsure about how safe it is - you should consult with your GP.

The list of health conditions and medications which make it dangerous to receive the COVID vaccine is extensively documented.

When I received my first vaccine dose, I was grilled for about 5 minutes to identify and document any existing health conditions (even after already completeing the online survey when I booked the appointment) - to ensure that there was no risk from any existing condition or medication I was taking - and to document the history in case there was an adverse reaction.

But for the vast majority of people who have no pre-existing conditions and are not on any medication, the vaccines are safe - as shown by the nearly 11 million doses already given in Australia.

wylie and noomi_nooma like this.
  11. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Sam Harris' latest podcast on vaccine misinformation and hesitancy isn't behind the standard paywall because he deems it in the public interest. Worth a listen from 30 minutes onwards and while it touches upon what a lot have already raised in this thread the information might be more digestible or memorable for some in the audio format.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Hesitant about the vaccine, or know someone who is? This book is a must-read
    It’s Tuesday, June 29, at Wimbledon. The mostly unmasked crowd filling the stadium are on their feet, clapping and cheering for a full minute, defying the commentator’s efforts to continue his prepared speech. But they’re not cheering for tennis players; Novak Djokovic and Jack Draper are yet to hit a single shot.

The focus of the crowd’s vocal approval is a woman sitting in the front row of the royal box. She looks around as if unsure whether the applause is for her. The woman is Dame Professor Sarah Gilbert, a vaccinologist at the University of Oxford and a key reason why so many of those attending this match are able to do so without masks, or even at all.

Gilbert is one of the scientists who led the almost superhuman research effort that culminated in development of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine against COVID-19, a key weapon in bringing the pandemic under control. In Vaxxers, she and her colleague, Associate Professor Catherine Green, also from the University of Oxford, describe in painstaking detail the remarkable journey that saw an effective vaccine developed faster than has ever happened before

Listen to the BBC abridged version (5 x 13 minutes) (until Aug 18). One extraordinary story of greatness.

BBC Radio 4 - Vaxxers by Professor Sarah Gilbert and Dr Catherine Green, Ep 1 - January, 2020

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Get your vaccination people - except for those that are anti-vax and we'll send you a "get well" card instead

219909024_3608099992624927_4772228239530888641_n.jpg

George Smiley, rizzle, Shazz@ and 4 others like this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

16. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Firefly99, Hetty and Lizzie like this.
  17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I know someone in Perth who is not an Aus resident who is fully vaccinated with Pfizer as of a couple of weeks ago - 40 year old. I feel a bit ripped off that they have made it so hard for residents to get a vaccine.

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2021
    Vicki W likes this.
  18. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

A Story of a Great Australian
    aged 33 Nutritionist, Today taking her first AZ despite her health position entitling her to Pfizer immediately.
    I asked her why and she replied:
    Firstly AZ is a better vaccine being 67% effective against Delta against Pfizer being only 39% effective in the latest test
    Source: Israeli tests of last week, Pfizer vaccine more effective with eight-week gap between doses instead of shorter interval, Oxford study finds
    Secondly, There are a lot of pregnant people, people with low blood platelet counts who must take Pfizer and just ignorant people who would prefer the Pfizer so let them take the few shots that are available.
    Thirdly, the risk from Pfizer’s heart problems is equal to the 1 in a million death rate to the AZ thrombosis problem and illness are equal. Both vaccines are about 20 times safer than dying from thrombosis on a single international airline trip and no one says no to flying internationally for fun.
    So armed with her platelet count and all this information she visited her doctor to receive her AZ.

I’m not surprised, she has twice been honoured by the NSW Governor on her work and recently awarded the university medal in the faculty of science.

if we had more like her, rather than the fearmongers in our community, Australia would be an even better place.

Baker, inertia, wylie and 2 others like this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If only we could get mainstream media to run this story, it might convince some fence-sitters to get the freely available AZ.

Firefly99 likes this.
  20. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

wylie and geoffw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.