COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think what people are forgetting is how exponential growth works. It's not like the seasonal flu. I doubt any hospital would have overflowing ICU beds with seasonal flu, because it doesn't spread with such wild abandon, but that is the reality with Covid.

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

3. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Actually - it is exactly like the seasonal flu in that hospitals do regularly run out of beds each year due to the seasonal flu and it does spread with wild abandon - it is a virus, that's what they do.

But the seasonal flu is definitely not as deadly as COVID - and I suspect it's not considered as contagious as the delta strain either (I'd need to look up the data to confirm this).

We manage the seasonal flu by way of our annual vaccination program - but it still manages to kill quite a few people each year.
    • 2021: 0 flu deaths so far
    • 2020: 37 flu deaths
    • 2019: 812 flu deaths
    • 2018: 57 flu deaths
    • 2017: 745 flu deaths
    • 2016: 92 flu deaths
    Global deaths from flu are significantly higher - most likely due to lack of access to seasonal vaccines and lack of access to suitable healthcare in many developing countries.

5. Simon Hampel

Prevention is a fantastic goal - but you can't just turn around and magically improve the health status of the majority of the population in the short term. Prevention is a long term goal.

People with diabetes or high blood pressure or liver disease or cancer don't just change their health status within the space of a few weeks. They also don't tend to die suddenly at a young age in large numbers - many of these diseases are manageable using medication and lifestyle changes - and people suffering from them can usually live a full life.

You know what can magically help people with health issues known to be vulnerable to COVID? Vaccines! This technology is absolutely saving lives in very large numbers - including those people who have existing health issues.

This focus some people have on co-morbidities is quite disturbing - it's like saying that anyone who has diabetes isn't worth saving, or someone who has kidney failure isn't worth saving, or someone who has cancer isn't worth saving, or someone with liver disease isn't worth saving.

By dismissing the COVID deaths as a "co-morbidity" problem - you are basically telling that anyone with an existing health issue is less important than those people fortunate enough to be considered "completely healthy".

My dad was diagnosed with diabetes recently - he will have it for the rest of his life. He isn't likely to die in the next few years and is still a valuable contributing member of society - but if he contracts COVID, he is at greater risk of severe illness.

My mum had liver disease since her 20s - she eventually died of cancer at the age of 67 - but were she still alive - she would be at significant risk from COVID because of her illness that she successfully managed for over 40 years.

Are these people less worth saving from COVID because of their other illnesses that allowed them to live well beyond their initial diagnosis?

Co-morbidities shouldn't be a death sentence - so don't dismiss them as the only justification for why people are dying from COVID.

But that is exactly what these vaccines are - they are like a silver bullet that prevents large numbers of people from dying unnecessarily.

No, the vaccines are not perfect and do not provide 100% protection. Yes, there is an element of risk with a small number of adverse reactions. But the risks of dying prematurely from COVID are absolutely enormous in comparison.

We absolutely should be aiming to improve the health of our population - but that will NOT solve this COVID crisis here today. Vaccinating as much of the population as we can, and controlling the growth of this outbreak, absolutely will.

KateSydney, Toon, Firefly99 and 3 others like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The golden ray of sunshine that covid19 delivered us was less flu deaths in 2020 due to people following the covid19 social distancing/lockdown protocols which also hampered flu transmission plus I suspect increased people vaccinating against the flu "better vaccinate against the flu because I don't want the flu plus covid19)

I believe the Ro for the flu is around 1-2 and for Covid19 it's 2-3 with Delta potentially being even higher

7. Simon Hampel

Thanks - I did a quick bit of googling to see if I could find more information.

High Contagiousness and Rapid Spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 ... study calculated an estimated R0 at around 5.8 - much higher than the initial estimates of 2-3 !!

I found mention of the flu having an R0 of around 1.3

I read other reports that put the original Wuhan strain at 2.7 and then calculate delta strain at 6 ... so the numbers vary a bit.

Either way - it's pretty clear the orignal strain is definitely much higher than the flu and the delta strain much higher than the original strain!

Westminster likes this.
  8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hear hear ... so young people with asthma are supposedly expendable (I know many in their 20s with asthma) ... people with high blood pressure who are not overweight are expendable (two family-by-marriage members have had high pressure since their 30s due to genetic reasons) ... people who are overweight are expendable (such as myself who's carrying an extra 5-10 kg) ... people who are controlling their diabetes through diet are expendable (I have a skinny friend in this category)?

You'd wipe out around 60% of the population with that policy

Delta is 123% more transmissible that the "wild" original variant

Firefly99 likes this.
  10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Most of your post is misinterpretation.

No one is saying that some lives are more important than others and being condescending is not going to change the fact that Covid affects people with comorbidities much worse than healthier people or people with other than the comorbidities in the link i shared earlier.

All i am saying/predicting is that we will be in the exact same situation in the long run unless we get vaccines that give immunity or, we accept that 0 cases and lock downs are not the solution.

I don't even think that the risk the current vaccines pose is worth worrying about or that they are not safe and I'm definitely not against people being vaccinated.

You can vaccinate as many people as you want, that will not change the fact that people with comorbidities, just like everyone else, might still end up with the Virus and as we've already seen so far, the current viruses are less effective against some new variants of concern.

So either way, people with comorbidities would still be at a much higher risk of severe illness whether everyone is vaccinated or not and they should be prioritized for vaccination before anyone else and the rest of the population should go on deciding if they want to be vaccinated or not, just like with the flu.

Try to keep an open mind and again, what unfolds in the UK/Israel and parts of the US in the next month or so will be very telling.

Shazz@, MTR and Codie like this.
  11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

... I dont think anyone has ever said there would be 0 cases of covid, or that lockdowns will be permanent?

As has frequently been said, vaccines reduce transmission, reduce impact, reduce deaths. This is a statistics game on a population level.

KateSydney, Lizzie and Simon Hampel like this.
  12. Simon Hampel

People who are vaccinated will still get sick. People with co-morbidities who are vaccinated will also get sick. Some of these people may also die. That is a given - the vaccines are not 100% effective. We know this.

But these deaths will become a very small minority compared to people who are not vaccinated - especially once we have a large enough vaccinated population to provide us with effective herd immunity, since the virus will not have active infection vectors by which to spread to the more vulnerable in the community.

I think we might eventually get to the point where vaccination is largely a matter of choice - like it is currently with the flu vaccine.

But until then - we need to aim for a degree of herd immunity to protect the vulnerable - especially those who cannot be vaccinated for health reasons. A policy of vaccinating the at risk population and then letting everyone else decide is not going to acheive the level of protection we need to confidently open up our borders anytime soon.

I am indeed watching very closely - and the data so far is pretty compelling. Vaccinating the majority of the population is working to prevent hospitalisations and save lives, even in the face of the rampant delta strain. Death rates in the UK, US and Israel are significantly lower at this point in the case growth phase than at the equivalent point in any other previous growth phase.

The vaccines do seem to be acheiving exactly what they were promised to do. It is far too early to say that this (vaccine rollout) is the beginning of the end of COVID or anything like that - but it is definitely helping, the data is unequivocal so far.

KateSydney, paulF and inertia like this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Fair enough - but that's not what you said ... "You are dismissing the fact that Covid is already a mild disease to most people and that it's mortality rate has been linked to comorbidities ... " and then went on to say that people simply need to be healthier - and had a poohpooh about the vaccines with a historical attitude of being anti lockdown

Oh - I also forgot to mention two of daughters 19 year old STEM studies university friends. Fit and healthy but one was born with only one functioning kidney - the other has a small hole in their lung - neither issues are life threatening ... unless they caught something vicious like Covid. They are not elderly and definitely not expendable

... and that's why we have lockdowns until there is sufficient vaccination to protect these (will be vaccinated themselves) people further

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2021
  14. Simon Hampel

No extra Pfizer for NSW, but speed-up of first doses gets green light

New South Wales will not receive any additional doses of the Pfizer vaccine, but the state will speed up the delivery of first doses, Prime Minister Scott Morrison says.

Instead, Mr Morrison said NSW would administer more first doses of Pfizer, by increasing the time between the two jabs from three to six weeks.

...​

This is consistent with the approach used in the UK where they delayed the second dose of Pfizer vaccines (against Pfizer's advice) to ensure more first doses could be given out in a timely manner.

That being said I'm going to be pretty ****** off if they cancel or try to reschedule existing bookings for second doses. That's also going to be an administrative nightmare given the online booking system used where both doses were booked in at the same time.

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My second AZ has already been put off another week - 13 instead of the booked 12. Hope they don't delay further but suspect not, being the bizarrely shunned AZ

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What reason did they give @Lizzie ?

I've called to confirm my final jab next Friday and I've also had the text reminder, so I'm hoping I get there and can get it as planned.

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Just said the clinic for that week had been cancelled ... was just after government announced they'd be sending everything to Sydney, so suspect that's why.

No dramas. Just want it done

18. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

19. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Same thing in Spain they offered Pfizer or Moderna to everyone under 60 that had AstraZeneca as first dose, but 90% wanted to stay with AstraZeneca. Since all AstraZeneca orders are now cancelled they had to buy more because of the unexpected amount of people still wanting it.

Lizzie and Shogun like this.
  20. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I will get my second Astrazeneca but if I was in a "hot" zone I would mix brands to reduce the time to be fully covered.

Casteller and Lizzie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.