COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people die of clots everyday pre-COVID in the younger age group ie < 50. Could it just be a coincidence and doing 1+1 = 2 correlations?

Firefly99 likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I would suspect that it's possible that people are getting clots for other reasons - but there's not enough data about that yet. More women than men are getting clots; clots are also associated with the pill. That may just be coincidence too.

But I think people are getting too worried about the vaccine, and ignoring the consequences of not having the vaccine. I suspect the whole thing may be being blown up by people who don't like vaccines anyway.

Firefly99 and Lacrim like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They appear to be different from the clots associated with the pill.

4. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

I suspect the main reason it's being blown up is because countries are suspending it's usage.

See Change and Scaphella like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Probably much more than 500,000, given that vaccination started relatively recently and at least a month is required between shots for Pfizer, 3 months for AZ

6. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

For me personally, I’m thirty something, the Australian government along with 20 other countries has decided the Astra vaccine is too dangerous for me to have until further notice. anti vaxxers or Facebook hasn’t influenced me, the data and suspensions of the rollout has so I’ll back the other horse I guess.

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That could quite well be. I was just surmising.

That's a part of it. But it was in the headlines well before that happened.
    But somewhat more than the 1,000 which was suggested.

For me, one or four in a million is a miniscule enough risk that I'm willing to take it - especially as I'm in the older age group, and I'm in contact with vulnerable people.

We're fortunate here that the risk of catching Covid-19 is also very small, although as we've seen, that situation can change rapidly. If Covid-19 was here in big numbers, I'd suggest that it would be a far more serious risk not to take the vaccine than to take it.

8. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Not at all . I think you over estimate the extent of medical knowledge . Something this rare has only been picked up because it’s quite unique . So the chances of understanding why it is happening at this stage IMHO would be close to zero

What else don’t they understand ? Lots . That normal . Nothing sinister .

cliff

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

In the original AstraZeneca trial there were more clots in the placebo group than in the vaccine group .

So maybe the vaccine cuts down the over all risk of clots ....

The reason this has been picked up is because of the very unusual clinical picture of the clots .

Cliff

10. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

What else don’t they understand ? Lots . That normal . Nothing sinister .

cliff[/QUOTE]

I hope there is not lots they don't still understand about these vaccines. That would be very concerning.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I see.

Anyway, how I see this AZ debacle playing out is that the 2a/2b group will be fast tracked (once supply issues are addressed) thanks to those who'll be holding out for the Pfizer.

I'm not sure if which way I'll go at this stage.

12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Lots of women take the contceptive pill. How many do you know that have gotten blood clots?

I will get vaccinated because the needs of the many outway the needs of the few.

wylie likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

14. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

The issues with the J&J vaccine are a huge blow. I had seen this vaccine as being the way to control COVID in developing countries due to it being a one dose and able to be stored easily. Hopefully it will still be rolled out.

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. Scott No Mates

They were the big advantages - ease of distribution.

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Not much point in pursuing the J&J vaccine as it was created similarly to the AZ, and therefore it was thought it may have the same clotting issues.

Subsequent reports proved this doubt to be correct.

I have seen reports that work on the UQ vaccine is being revived, trying a different base to avoid the HIV issues.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

I had heard that recently as well. It will still be a little way off as they halted testing when they found the false positives to HIV with the test subjects. If they can reengineer the carrier cells (or use an alternative which won't affect the HIV test results), then they may be on a winner.

Firefly99 likes this.
  18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My MIL had her vaccination yesterday. I'm not sure why she'd be way up the list. Maybe as he had a severe stroke and because daily carers that visit her are under 50? I'm glad I'm in the under 50 group and won't be vaccinated straight away. After a medical misdiagnosis previously and being close to dying from blood clots I'm in no hurry. Maybe as I've done a stint of warfarin for a year I may be less at risk?

19. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I had my vaccination the other day. No side affects other than a bit sore around the place where they injected. I asked them if they were at full capacity and they said that demand had dropped off because of the blood clotting fears.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My husband had nothing to report, other than usual, headache, sore arm, slight feeling of tiredness, but he naps every day, so I didn't notice any difference.

Our oldest son had his first injection weeks ago and had no bad reactions either.

Some of the reactions I've heard would put me off, and I wish the media would report more about how most(?) people have no issues or side affects.

Shogun, Angel and Lizzie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.