COVID-19 statistics

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 4th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

{Note from mods - this thread split from here: COVID-19 in other countries [Health & Family]}

I was curious to see infection and death rates per head of population to see how they compare to Australia.

I've just done a selection of the top countries and did a quick spreadsheet using population data taken from List of countries and dependent territories of the World by population:

upload_2020-4-4_12-31-57.png

Despite the US having far higher population than any of the other countries with lots of cases, their overall infection rate isn't as high (yet), and their death rate relatively low so far too.

Australia is doing relatively well - thanks to our small, well spread out population, just over 20 cases per 100,000 people and with only 28 deaths so far, we barely rate on the deaths per head of population measure.

Interestingly, Spain and Italy are seeing similar death rates. I'm not sure if that means much. The percentage of Spain's population infected is the highest out of all of the countries I looked at.

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2020
    mrdobalina, Toon and The Y-man like this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That information is available on Worldometers and scroll down - though for daily information for a full day, click on "yesterday" at the top of the list.

The US numbers are growing rapidly. Since Monday, their numbers have almost doubled while Spain and Italy have gone up 50%. My screenshot from Monday doesn't include Australia. This could be as a result of increased testing, however the proportion of positive to negative tests is quite high
    Most recent data - about 24%.

Australia's positive rate is 1.9% despite high testing rates
    Australia's virus testing rate leads world
    Screenshot_2020-03-30-09-32-30-12.jpg

MTR likes this.
  3. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

They've just added number of tests and tests per million to that website, quite interesting.
    Italy 10200, Spain 7600, Germany 10900, Switzerland 12800, UK and USA 2500, France 3500, South Korea 8900, Australia 10800.

kierank and geoffw like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

There ttimeline runs that hospital admissions usually are one to two weeks after positive test ... and deaths are one to four weeks after admission ... USA is only at the start of this process

mrdobalina likes this.
  5. geoffw

This has been interesting, and information which has been previously difficult to find.

It does refute our PM's claim that Australia was the first country to test 1% of their population - many countries have done so. That's not being unfair to him, considering that the information was difficult to find.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've been following this chart:

Covid Trends

It shows over time is the number of total infections as well as the increase in infections. By default it's a logarithmic scale which better models incremental growth. You can switch it to a linear scale as well.

What's interesting is you can see in the past week or two that many countries are starting to slow down the rate of infection. People are still getting sick and the overall numbers continue to grow, but it demonstrates which countries are making headway.

Also for most countries it's too early to say they're on top of it. There's plenty of lines showing a slow down then a resurgence within a few days, but overall I find it encouraging.

...And then there's one first world country where infection rates only continue to rise incrementally. Apparently their leader thinks he's doing a good job...

kierank likes this.
  7. geoffw

8. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

When you do your next update would you include NZ ?

9. Simon Hampel

Okay - recognising that reporting over Easter is generally not as accurate, I've updated my table and added a few more countries in.

Here is the data sorted by cases per million population:

upload_2020-4-13_10-12-41.png

Spain has by far the most. NZ and Australia are very similar.

Important to recognise that some countries are not testing as much as others - so there may be large numbers of undiagnosed cases in the community.

Here is the same data sorted by deaths per million population:

upload_2020-4-13_10-15-9.png

Spain still by far the most hard hit. Belgium has a surprisingly high death rate - up there with Italy.

Despite it's extremely high number of cases, the US is still doing relatively well in its death rate - although that could be a delay compared to Europe where most people are only recently infected and the disease hasn't yet progressed enough to cause larger numbers of deaths? Or it could be related to the relative age of the population being infected?

It would be interesting to see breakdown in country stats on infections and deaths based on age compared to overall population demographics in that country.

Toon, Beano and MTR like this.
  10. geoffw

Worldometers shows data with cases per million population, and deaths per million; it has also been updated recently to show total tests done and tests per million population population. Data can be sorted by column, and drilled down in many cases. Thanks to @Biggbird for posting the link originally.

While the US isn't as bad as Europe, drilling down shows New York with some of the worst infection and death rates in the world.

Edit: Some breakdown by age:
    How old are coronavirus patients in the US? We looked at hospitalization data from 19 states

It's two weeks old, and doesn't include New York, but interesting

Last edited: 13th Apr, 2020
    Biggbird likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks this is good

This actually puts it in perspective and why need to compare apples with apples, population matters

12. geoffw

If we are looking at this measure, New York State is doing a lot worse than Spain, Italy Germany or UK.
    United States Coronavirus: 586,941 Cases and 23,640 Deaths - Worldometer
    New York has 9,973 cases per million population, 513 deaths per million.

Spain 3,638 and 380.
    Italy 2,638 and 338
    Switzerland 2,968 and 131. High in cases but lower in deaths. They have a very high testing rate, 2.2% of the population, so perhaps caught more people earlier.
    Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,924,635 Cases and 119,686 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

kierank likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

That's a good point - the United States is a big country and as much as the virus is very wide-spread the really severe impacts are quite concentrated.

kierank likes this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

It would not surprise me to see a number of other USA cities unfortunately take that title away from New York

I sincerely hope and pray that I am wrong.

15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  16. Simon Hampel

I've updated my table and included some individual US states (plus NSW).

upload_2020-4-14_12-5-1.png

New York is really struggling - fully 1% of the population has been infected. Death rate is extremely high too.

Other US states aren't quite as bad - New Jersey's death rate is much lower compared to their infection rate.

The UK death rate has now overtaken The Netherlands.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

thanks

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Would it be too difficult to split the states in Australia

19. Simon Hampel

Not too difficult, the data is there - just no point, given the very low numbers of cases we're seeing. When I update tomorrow, I might look to add Vic and Qld in just for comparison.

MTR likes this.
  20. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Looks like USA reversed its “trend” yesterday, both in new cases and deaths, with a big increase in new cases.

Maybe the Easter numbers were a little optimistic. This virus is making its own rules.

Lizzie likes this.