COVID-19 lockdowns impact on schooling and HSC

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Hetty, 27th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I live in regional. There was so much complacency for those that could have been vaccinated but chose to dally.

My post was not referring to you. I was responding to Lizzie who was talking about those who people with diabetes etc. and presumably in their 60s and were eligible 3 months ago.

Not a high school teacher, but I taught undergraduate students at university for a few years and in my experience, these students needed a lot of support during lectures and pracs. The ones that didn’t have the right foundations and pre knowledge from high school often struggled. Mind you, this was in the sciences.. where you have to do experiments as part of your learning and those could not be done online.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I still do!! :)

The main complaint we get is that they paid for face to face and got a cut down online course (which they could have got cheaper thru OUQ etc). So our advertised point of difference didn't eventuate.
    Semester 2 starts next week, but Melb still has post-lockdown restrictions, so we will run online for weeks 1 and 2.

The Y-man

Shazz@ likes this.
  3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Can totally understand! I loved being able to talk to my lecturers after each session. It’s was how I was able to find a mentor for my research projects.
    Did the uni reduce the fees? Speaking to my old Prof, a lot of staff were culled. How awful.

Lizzie likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

No fee cut AFAIK. Just "lower costs" by "streamlining" staff numbers ;), ban all hours to sessionals (casuals - who are mostly phd students needing the money).

The Y-man

Shazz@ likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and yet the uni students are being left out to dry. Junior is studying bio-med ... she gets an hour at the lab once a week for DNA/rNA but everything else is online - including the cadaver autopsy this arvo. But also, they don't have the back and forth discussions, or brain storming, or concept development that takes place when face to face, no mentoring and sharing with those more experienced

One would've thought - given that 70% of those that go onto higher education, do so by means "other" then their HSC results - these uni students, who are our researchers, teachers, business leaders of the future, would've been further up the chain

Regardless - those under 60 with side health issues, like the 19 year old I know that has a single kidney, or the one with a small hole in their lung, or the 57 year old with genetic diabetes etc would also be further up the list for the Pfizer ... but no ... not now that it's political

Last edited: 29th Jul, 2021
    inertia and Shazz@ like this.
  6. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

It sux to be in this position. We just don’t have enough to go around and I don’t envy the person deciding who to prioritize. You could make a case for any group out there.

Lizzie and Gockie like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm under 50. So as soon as eligibility was opened for the 40s I booked. I made my booking on the 8th June I accepted the first place I could which was a 2 week wait (21st June) and travelled 35km to a state run immunisation clinic. I had my second shot on 12th July.

craigc and Lizzie like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and I am envious ... had my first shot 13th May and waiting until 12th August for the next. There was no Pfizer on offer at that stage. Which is why it comes to the dilemma for those now eligible of go the AZ with a long delay - or wait for the Pfizer with it's short delay

wylie likes this.
  9. Westminster

It's definitely a dilemma for anyone making the decision now due to the long wait time between AZ shots. Does anyone trust that Pfizer spots will become available and finish before taking AZ now. Million dollar question.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's one of those "damned if you do/don't" questions.

I pulled the trigger as soon as I could ... but then you got your first jab 5 weeks after me and is now fully vaccinated and covered ... while I have to wait another whole 5 weeks to reach the same stage ... 10 weeks longer in total. 10 weeks is a long time in a rapidly spreading pandemic so I can understand any indecision

wylie and Westminster like this.
  11. Westminster

I guess at this stage if I was living in Sydney I'd take whatever I could if it meant I could reduce the risk of covid a little bit. Which would mean taking first AZ now rather than nothing until Pfizer was available.

Joynz and wylie like this.
  12. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I’m in my 30s. If I were in my 40s I’d already be vaccinated.

Westminster likes this.
  13. pattoman

pattoman Well-Known Member

Well if they think face to face education is so important, why aren't teachers a vaccine priority group? This whole HSC thing is purely political.

Lizzie and Firefly99 like this.
  14. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I really don’t know why people are getting so caught up with year 12 students getting the Pfizer vaccine. Who cares.. there’s plenty of AZ to go around. Young people getting the vaccine means other young people will also have confidence.. this will be hardest group to convince because most will think the virus is nothing/ or their parents will think they are too young.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

16. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Is this recommended for children???
    About the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

I would not bother unless my child had a serious underlying health issue and would always discuss with my doctor

18. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

No.. that’s why Pfizer is being allocated to the HSC students. It’s not the whole country, nor the whole state… just students in 8 LGAs hotspots. I don’t get the hysteria.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ok
    Neither do I