COVID-19 in other countries

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 28th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Comparing operating a business and world leaders, is chalk and cheese and naive

There was not one country prepared for this or health system for that matter. To make it worse China covered this up and closed their borders early in China/wuhan

Can you tell me which country got it absolutely right ie no deaths? There were a few countries that contained it early, but there would be human right issues for most countries to go down this road

Spain by far per capita is number one for deaths/cases vs population
    Please refer to @Simon Hampel table, it will show you how countries are fairing per population

Btw i cant open your link. Are we allowed to post links on Trump???

Spain’s Coronavirus Crisis Accelerated as Warnings Went Unheeded

Italy
    Italy’s Politicians Are Making the Coronavirus Crisis Worse

UK
    'Where is Boris?': The UK government's cautious coronavirus strategy provokes a public backlash

Switzerland, how did it become second highest with corona. Not managing borders

COMMENTARY: How Switzerland ended up with the second-highest coronavirus infection rate in the world

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2020
    Francesco likes this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Absolute rubbish. I am talking about leadership.

Unfortunately, some world leaders believe it is all about them, their ego, ... How “naive”!!!

COVID-19 has shown that the difference between a good world leader and a poor leader is “chalk and cheese“.

But they had heaps of warnings, especially the USA. Google it.

Here is an article posted two years ago on the World Economic Form website produced by Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security:

6 ways countries can prepare for the next infectious disease pandemic

Here is one paragraph from that two year old article:

“The participants consisted of eight former senior US government officials and a current member of Congress, with our staff playing the roles of experts and facilitators. It was conducted in Washington, DC, in front of a live audience of 150 government officials, academics and policy experts. It was streamed live on the internet, the first time to our knowledge that such an exercise has been made open to the public as it happened.“​

Here is a paragraph from my earlier link:
    “A week after the first coronavirus case had been identified in the United States, and six long weeks before President T.... finally took aggressive action to confront the danger the nation was facing — a pandemic that is now forecast to take tens of thousands of American lives — Dr. Mecher was urging the upper ranks of the nation’s public health bureaucracy to wake up and prepare for the possibility of far more drastic action.”​

The USA had lots and lots of warnings, some ages ago and some recently. Some people ignored the warnings more than others.

I didn’t say any country got it absolutely right but some got it absolutely wrong.

I don’t believe any country wants to win that title.

For me, one death is one too many. With the worldwide count closing in on 120,000 deaths (with 20% currently in the USA), there are 120,000 extended families and associated friends totally grieving.

TBH, I believe Australia was “lucky” to have the December/January bushfires. I never thought I would ever say such an awful thing.

We were “lucky” because it was a”big kick up the backside” for ScoMo. He totally misread the potential tragedy of those fires. He learnt his lesson and wasn’t going to make the same mistake with COVID-19.

Australia is indeed a lucky country.

Google it. As I stated in my previous posts, it is written by the New York Times.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

please refer to Simons chart

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Comparing government/world leaders with population of over 350m and business is very niave my opinion and pompous

Imagine a business with 2 employees...... seriously:eek:.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Apr, 2020
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

so you have not been watching whats actually happening?

There are many hot spots already. There are 50 States.....bejesuuus

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Simon's chart isn't that much different to the information in the links I posted.

The Worldometers website is more up to date and has a lot more information. The numbers I posted are up to date as of today.

Simon's chart was accurate up to yesterday morning, and the numbers aren't all that different.

The website I posted has information about a lot of other countries, and a breakdown by state in the US. Other countries have information about the number of cases daily presented graphically.

MTR and kierank like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes
    Lots of moving parts

however does not change the fact that no country got it perfectly right. Rather hypercritical to point the finger at one country, one leader.......shows biased

I posted links on what happened in Switzerland and why second highest corona in world, ignored

8. kierank

I go to the same website that @Simon Hampel sources his data. It is more up-to-date

Did you read this post:
    I would say both need good leaders.

The impact on a country of over 350M people have a poor leader at this crazy time is far worse as we are seeing before our eyes.

This is going to have a huge impact on the world. There is an old (pre-COVID19) saying:

“When the USA sneezes, the world catches a cold”​

The USA is doing a lot of sneezing at the moment, unfortunately for them and for us.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Apr, 2020
    geoffw likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But its your opinion, not fact.

reading left aligned media wont cut it

Polls are high, lets not forget votes got him in same as our PM. How the people rate it is what matters not what some journo wrote in New York times, with no source. This happens alot

i think we should move on before this thread gets derailed further

iloveqld likes this.
  10. kierank

That is exactly my point.

One or many of these hotspots in the USA could take the title off New York.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sure
    But lots of moving parts, lots of stuff happening in the background. Lots happening every day

Watch US press conferences, a tad early...in morning though

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Unless they made some pretty terrible decisions in coming weeks, I'd be surprised if that were the case. New York has a much higher population density - and I'm going to guess, a much larger population with poor fundamental health - than most other US states. Throw in a pandemic and you've got a public health disaster.

Out of all the states I looked at, only New Jersey is anywhere near close to the levels that New York is seeing - and that kind of makes sense because of their close proximity and the number of people who travel between those states for work, etc.

Take New York out of the equation and the infection and death rates we're seeing elsewhere in the US are more inline with European countries.

kierank and MTR like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hope this is fact
    ‘Worst Is Over,’ Cuomo Says as 7 States Ally to Reopen Economy

14. kierank

I truly hope you’re right.

This morning on the news it looks like seven State Governors have formed an alliance and may not follow what President is decrees.

I can fully understand why they have done that but it is not a good look.

The last thing the world needs/wants is a fractured USA.

Gockie likes this.
  15. geoffw

I believe that the reason (for two individual alliances) is that states have been given the responsibility for finding their own supplies. This has led to competition, higher prices and advantages to richer states. By combining, states can make the process more efficient.

MTR likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

process has been very transparent, assumption are just that

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We can do both if we are smart

Some countries are doing this now

I am Ok, but i worry about my children, and next generation, we should not be selfish

HUGH72 likes this.
  18. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Italy took 15 days to lockdown: 100 cases - Feb 23, Northern Italy lockdown - March 9. Maybe there was a smaller area that locked down earlier ? Don´t know.

kierank likes this.
  19. kierank

That is your opinion, not fact.
    Not true.

Some have tried to start; none have yet succeeded.

Some have tried to start and have not succeeded. For example, Singapore.
    I worry about everyone, we should be very, very careful.

Lizzie likes this.
  20. geoffw

2020 Italy coronavirus lockdown - Wikipedia

8 March In Lombardy and prior to that a smaller-scale lockdown of eleven municipalities in the province of Lodi that had begun in late February.

But a country wide lockdown didn't commence until 9 March.

Casteller likes this.