COVID-19 in other countries

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 28th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

And I've also heard reports that some countries didn't test people who had died of corona like symptoms, especially early in the outbreak. This served to mask the real impact it was having.

Other countries are probably not testing, or are deliberately hiding the real numbers.

2. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Spain and Italy were the first countries in Europe to lockdown, and continue to have the most extreme lockdowns (I cant even go for a walk). The exponential growth here was very high, it was doubling every 2 days from the start of March for 2 weeks, then doubled every 3 days for a week, then every 4 days since. Some mistakes were made at the beginning in allowing events to proceed when there were still only a few hundred cases (most notably a football match in Bergamo Italy with 3500 Spanish visitors, closing Madrid Uni residences causing students to disperse over the country, and international womens day), but no country could cope with that rate of growth. The country was shutdown 19 days after the first case in mainland Spain. Most other countries had more luck in earlier warning and much slower early internal transmission rate. Some countries have used that luck, some have not.

mrdobalina likes this.
  3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Italy has been having issues with viruses for a long time now so their numbers are not a reflection of what will happen in other countries. The less healthy and the older a populace, the higher the death rate. The US will be shocker unfortunately.
    I think Australia is in a relatlively good position compared to many other countries even though we have an old demographic as we are fairly healthy as a nation

"In recent years, Italy has been registering peaks in death rates, particularly among the elderly during the winter season. A mortality rate of 10.7 per 1,000 inhabitants was observed in the winter season 2014/2015 (more than 375,000 deaths in absolute terms), corresponding to an estimated 54,000 excess deaths (+9.1%) as compared to 2014 (
    Signorelli and Odone, 2016
    ), representing the highest reported mortality rate since the Second World War in Italy (
    UN, 2019
    ). Although the above-described excess mortality created concern among researchers, health authorities and public health experts, it has been challenging to identify its determinants "

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(19)30328-5/fulltext

mrdobalina likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is interesting
    In US all essential workers and people going back to work must have their temp taken prior to going into workplace and prior to leaving.

Also companies must provide more ventilation

US/NY starting to see some positive signs, isolation is working

5. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

This is the point, drastic isolation is working.
    So what happens when you start to relax the rules to get people back to work?
    No more isolation... So not working anymore.

I want to see the economy back to normal as much as anyone, but do you think if we open too soon and see a new spike we just end up back where we started?
    Plus businesses may need to invest capital to re-open, only to be forced to shut down again?

wylie, Lizzie, mrdobalina and 2 others like this.
  6. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Drastic isolation probably hasn't even fed into the stats yet. It's claimed there's a 2 week lag with the heavier restrictions coming in at the end of March. So next week dare I say sub 50 daily cases nation-wide!

I hope but don't believe we will ever have a vaccine. Sars which is also a coronavirus occurred 18 years ago with still no vaccine.

HUGH72 likes this.
  7. geoffw

While there's a slight downtrend in daily new cases in the US, there's an increase in the number of deaths. Isolation in the US started well after Australia.

Screenshot_2020-04-09-13-09-35-66.jpg

Screenshot_2020-04-09-13-09-59-07.jpg
    As for New York. According to United States Coronavirus: 435,160 Cases and 14,797 Deaths - Worldometer the total cases per million (7,706) i for the state the highest of any country in the world except the tiny countries of the Vatican City and San Marino; the deaths per million (319) is higher than any country except San Marino, slightly ahead of Spain. So I'd suggest it's a bit of a stretch to say that social isolation has started to have an effect.
    Former CDC head: New York death toll might be 80 percent lower if social distancing was enacted 2 weeks earlier

8. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I recognise there are many variables involved but a death rate of 45/1m of population v world of 11.4. Ouch.

geoffw likes this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

USA is still/currently way behind Spain and Italy who are at 316 and 292 respectively per million :eek:.

At those rates, USA will have lost 100,000 people. Might still happen, who knows with the current president steering the ship.

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Apr, 2020
  10. SatayKing

I do not know how accurate this so I'll take it "as is" is but aspects of this ABC article doesn't make good reading depending on where you live and approaches by relevant authorities.

What we can learn from the countries winning the coronavirus fight

11. geoffw

And as mentioned, New York is ahead of Spain and Italy per million people.
    Spain 3,170 cases per million, 316 deaths per million.
    Italy 2,306 and 292
    New York 7,706 and 319

Australia 239 and 2 for comparison.

In New York it's hitting Latinos and Blacks harder than Whites and Asians - this may be as a result of higher rates of pre-existing conditions caused by lower access to health care services - and possibly low income.
    Hispanic and black New Yorkers are dying at highest rates from coronavirus

That article states that Many New Yorkers who die at home have not been counted in the official death toll, so the numbers may be even worse.

kierank and Lizzie like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its heading in the right direction Grovenor should know

Good news for NY

Cuomo: New York's coronavirus hospitalization rate a 'very good sign' and 'headed in the right direction'

13. geoffw

shorty likes this.
  14. SatayKing

Um, you sure?

15. geoffw

I was being cynical. Sorry.

SatayKing likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You need cheering up.....you looking at glass half empty

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

18. SatayKing

Got it. I should have realised.

19. geoffw

My apologies. I didn't think that the highest death rates and the highest infection rates in the world were particularly encouraging. The glass is 5% full - a little bit of hope but not much yet.

The headline says that the numbers of intubations have improved. The article says that the numbers haven't gone up - which isn't the same thing. Leaders have to be able to make the most of the straws that they can grasp.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would have thought some good news is welcome

Anyway, so happy you are always in the background to correct me, very grateful:rolleyes:

Last edited: 9th Apr, 2020