COVID-19 in other countries

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 28th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

2. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Google's latest USA new case count is 205,460, first time it's exceeded 200K

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Also a grand achievement of an additional 2M cases for the month of November (biggest month yet & it hasn't finished).

US - MAGA.

4. geoffw

Just to clarify - 4M new cases for November - from 9M at the start of November to 13M now. However, there an additional 2M active cases.

That would be a daily new case count (just to clarify).

Edit: I've read one report that states that the 205,000 figure is because many states didn't report figures on Thanyksgiving on Thursday, leaving the reporting until Friday. Regardless, US cases are getting out of control, and will get a lot worse before they get better.

Last edited: 29th Nov, 2020
  5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

When processing the VirusChat stats, I was surprised to see Turkey jump up the rankings in a big way.

Looking at the charts - they've added huge numbers of cases in the last two days:

upload_2020-11-29_15-51-3.png

... however, this is incongruous with deaths, which have been growing consistently for the past several months:

upload_2020-11-29_15-51-30.png

... so it really does seem like they've been holding back on reporting their case figures for several months now.

You know what also happened less than two weeks ago in Turkey? The F1 Grand Prix - held there for the first time in 9 years and which attracted massive global media coverage.

I'm not trying to conflate these two factors - but it does make you wonder whether they deliberately held off updating their official stats until after the GP was held?

Could just be coincidence.

6. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Unless there was a very late flip, it doesn't appear the Turkey F1 race had a crowd in attendance.
    Turkish F1 GP to be held without fans due to COVID-19

7. Simon Hampel

No there were no fans in attendance - the weather was really cold and miserable anyway.

I'm very curious to see yesterday's numbers - which should be published by JHU any minute now.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

With many scientists suggesting the true numbers could be ten times higher than the reported numbers, and assuming many might have caught a mild case and either don't know they've had it, or didn't ever front up to a doctor or hospital, I wonder if that means rather than 12 million reported cases, it could be closer to 120 million cases?

If so, I wonder what that does to the projections?

I'd assume that could mean one third of the US population has had it?

The only person I know who's had it said she had mild symptoms. She isolated herself after flying in from Italy back in early March. Her two siblings on the same flight had it too. None of their extended family back in Italy had it. That plane full of people possibly had lots of cases, as the air-con was turned off (absolutely the wrong thing to do, but early days I guess they thought it would stop the spread through the plane, whilst it would have had the exact opposite affect).

Lizzie likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Another 30,000 cases added yesterday in Turkey - that's 110,000 cases added in 3 days when their previous average was around 2K cases per day :eek:

10. Scott No Mates

Thanksgiving? :confused:

gman65 and Casteller like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

From the NYTimes

"So far, in the month of November alone, the total number of coronavirus cases in the United States has surpassed 4.1 million, with more than 25,500 deaths. Over the last two weeks coronavirus cases increased 12 percent, deaths 29 percent and hospitalizations 38 percent. Since the pandemic began, more than 13.3 million Americans have been infected and more than 265,900 have died.

“It’s not too late,” to slow that surge, Dr. Fauci said, pleading for mask wearing and physical distancing."

Not only will thanksgiving provide a bump, so will the return of those who travelled to see family.

Now they're preparing for another foreseeable wave pre-Christmas.

kierank likes this.
  12. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

It is too late, the die is cast for the USA on coronavirus and they are on a trajectory they cannot control without greater social disturbance. Even if Biden comes in and tries to make changes, attitudes are so ingrained within large sections of their society that too many will ignore and disregard orders.

gman65, Lizzie, kierank and 1 other person like this.
  13. geoffw

Changes aren't just ingrained, they're political. Many would not a copy any changes made by Biden. Any attempt to enforce something like mask wearing might provoke strong reactions or more.

kierank likes this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if some states might do as we've done here and close borders to control the virus in their own state? Anyone with a brain over there could see how the hard lockdown in New York City turned around a very bad situation. Cuomo is admired by many for doing what he did and reviled by just as many who oppose his politics.

But it worked. Blind Freddy can see that. But so many in the US cannot manage to see the nose in front of the faces.

kierank likes this.
  15. Simon Hampel

New York's second wave is rapidly approaching the levels of its first - COVID-19 charts for New York, US

upload_2020-11-30_11-5-47.png

... however deaths have been well under control, which is probably why they are not rushing into more lockdowns

upload_2020-11-30_11-6-41.png

Illinois and Texas are currently seeing the highest number of deaths per day out of all the states.

upload_2020-11-30_11-9-13.png

16. Simon Hampel

They can certainly act to reduce the rate of growth - parts of Europe have done that quite successfully.

However, I do agree that getting it completely under control like we have in Australia, Singapore and NZ - is not going to be possible now - the cost (social / economic / political / etc) will be too great.

kierank likes this.
  17. random

random Well-Known Member

That US chief of whatever , that one Trumps always banging on about forget his name, said he expects the real number is at least 5x in the US.

18. random

random Well-Known Member

Slovenia only had 1400 cases for mths, right through ltaly's horrific first wave. lt borders Northern ltaly for anyone doesn't know and is only 4m people but this wave they now have 76k cases , how's that.

Last edited: 30th Nov, 2020
  19. geoffw

I was interested to know more about this, but I've had trouble trying to find more information. Do you have a reference please? Or at least, more specific information to see what the story is? I couldn't find anything from Fauci, if that's who you're talking about. Thanks!

20. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah Fauci was the one . There was a clip out of an interview with him on ABC news 24 this morning, Monday morning. Probably anything recent on him talking numbers l'd be guessing he'd be saying the same again. He was pretty disgusted with their situation.