COVID-19 in other countries 2022

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by SatayKing, 2nd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I guess you can never be too cautious, especially when you're there.

Last edited by a moderator: 6th Apr, 2022
  2. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

My god that's laughable.

Overreaction in Spain also for a couple of months at the beginning although before vaxes, with everyone confined inside homes. I got abused from balconies and questioned by police a few times for being outside when I was just walking 5 mins to the supermarket.

18 months later the whole thing got declared illegal under the Spanish constitution. Anyone who got issued or paid a fine during the lockdown for being outside got it cancelled and refunded.

Gockie likes this.
  3. jaybean

Everything seems simple in hindsight. Mistakes were inevitable. I for one have never been critical of the govt for the mistakes they made in the first 18-24 months. However with 2 years worth of experience behind us no one should be making mistakes like this now.

I’ve been a huge supporter of the “lockdown until 80% vaccination, then declare endemic and let loose”. Any country that doesn’t see that as the way forward now deserves the scorn of their citizens.

Lizzie likes this.
  4. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

5. jaybean

Sweet jesus. If the government came for my pets I'd be staging a full scale Wacol.

A neighbour once threatened to kill my cat for being in his yard and it nearly started WW3. No one touches my animals.

Baker and Lizzie like this.
  6. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

The hitmen break into flats while the owners are in quarantine, and murder the pets.

Warning: this post contains details of violence towards animals. I wish none of it were true.

I won't post it (though it's probably gone now), but last year there was a gut-wrenching video doing the rounds on local socials (WARNING), from a home security camera. It showed the PPE covered local officials break into a flat. The owner who was in a quarantine facility, was alerted to the entry and could see on her phone what was happening, and while she pleaded and begged them not to hurt her dog over the camera speaker, they beat it to death with iron bars. And it wasn't quick.

After intense outrage online, the local officials apologised and the henchmen were being reassigned.

EDIT: an update
    Another Pet Dog Beaten to Death by Healthcare Worker, Growing Frustration with Shanghai’s Covid Response

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2022
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

8. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

The Great Covid Leap Forward.

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Stats from around the world, comparing only "high income" economies with at least 500K population.

COVID-19 Report - Total cases as of 6 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-7_18-52-54.png
    • Australia #11 out of 47 countries, with 4.91m cases (same as this time last week)

COVID-19 Report - Average daily new cases as of 6 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-7_18-54-17.png
    • Australia #5 out of 45 countries, with 57.6K daily cases (up from #6 last week)

COVID-19 Report - Population infection rate as of 6 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-7_18-55-32.png
    • Australia #31 out of 47 countries, with 19.36% of the population infected (up from #33 last week)

COVID-19 Report - Total deaths as of 6 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-7_22-1-59.png
    • Australia #30 out of 47 countries, with 6.5K deaths (same as this time last week)

COVID-19 Report - Average daily deaths as of 6 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-7_22-3-2.png
    • Australia #6 out of 47 countries with 71.7 deaths per day (up from #19 this time last week)

COVID-19 Report - Deaths per million population as of 6 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-7_22-4-3.png
    • Australia #41 out of 47 countries with 256.1 deaths per million (up from #42 this time last week)

10. Simon Hampel

Interestingly, if we look at the number of cases and deaths recorded in the past 30 days in a number of high income economies - we get vastly different outcomes when calculating the number of deaths per case.

upload_2022-4-7_22-23-10.png

Australia, France and Germany are all around the 0.1% mark (1 death per thousand cases).

Japan and the UK are nearly 3 times higher, around 0.3% (3 deaths per thousand cases).

But the US is at 2.85% deaths per case (1 death per 35 cases) and South Korea is at 4.16% (1 death per 24 cases).

Now I don't for a moment believe that one person out of every 35 who get COVID in the US is dying - or that one out of ever 24 people who get COVID is dying in South Korea.

What I think is happening is a vast under-reporting of case numbers. Most likely because people simply aren't testing.

So while our case numbers seem very high in Australia - we still have one of the lowest death rates in the world. I would put part of that down to great hospitals and a really good health case system in general - but I also think we are testing far more than most other countries.

I suspect that somewhere between 0.1% and 0.2% deaths per case should be typical for most high income countries. Anything higher indicates a lack of testing, in my opinion.

Baker and Lizzie like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

South Korea has had a sudden “boom” in deaths, I wonder what has happened.

12. Simon Hampel

Their case numbers have skyrocketed, although do seem to have peaked (or they've stopped testing as much?)

upload_2022-4-7_22-49-57.png

upload_2022-4-7_22-50-8.png

13. Casteller

First day yesterday in over two years don't have to wear masks everywhere indoors. Most people still wearing them though. I just do whatever the staff are doing. Still required on transport and a few other places. My bank still required it.

Some of the little kids at school still wearing them they don't remember life without masks in class. Should have got rid of them ages ago in schools.

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Traveling on public transport without a mask, for the first time in 2 years, feels really weird

15. Casteller

Can't do that here yet, but in the shops 90% still wearing them, will take time to adjust.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Where we are, public transport is very spacious so lots of room to social distance and open the window. So are the shops but still wear the mask to the supermarket. Of to the theatre tonight for the first time ... think we'll be wearing our masks

17. Simon Hampel

Stats from around the world, comparing only "high income" economies with at least 500K population.

COVID-19 Report - Total cases as of 24 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-25_17-42-9.png
    • Australia #11 out of 47 countries, with 5.72m cases (same ranking as this time last week)

COVID-19 Report - Average daily new cases as of 24 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-25_17-43-16.png
    • Australia #6 out of 47 countries with 43.2K daily cases (same ranking as last week)

COVID-19 Report - Population infection rate as of 24 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-25_17-44-10.png
    • Australia #30 out of 47 countries with 22.55% of the population infected (same rank as last week)
    • Sweden is ranked #29 out of 47 countries with 24.29% infection
    • US is ranked #28 out of 47 countries with 24.67% infection

COVID-19 Report - Total deaths as of 24 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-25_17-47-17.png
    • Australia #28 out of 47 countries with 7.01K deaths (up from #29 this time last week)

COVID-19 Report - Average daily deaths as of 24 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-25_17-49-1.png
    • Australia #12 out of 47 countries with 31.3 deaths per day (same rank as this time last week)

COVID-19 Report - Deaths per million population as of 24 Apr 2022

upload_2022-4-25_17-50-44.png
    • Australia #40 out of 47 countries with 276.2 deaths per million population (same rank as this time last week)

18. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I agree RE: people aren’t bothering to test or record positive RATs. I’m currently living overseas and I found it hard to believe when I caught COVID that I was one of only two people in the entire country to get it that day… until I thought about the cost of the test vs average wage.

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

From the NYT:

State of the virus
    Update for April 22

• Coronavirus cases are rising again in the United States after a precipitous fall from their January peak.
    • Cases have increased in a majority of states and territories during the past two weeks, but the inclines are sharpest in the Northeast and Midwest. In Michigan and New Hampshire, cases have more than doubled since the start of the month.
    • Experts believe that two new subvariants may be contributing to this growth. Both evolved from the BA.2 subvariant, a strain known to be highly contagious.
    • The average number of reported cases announced per day in the U.S. remains at its lowest level since the summer of 2021. Still, the prevalence of home tests, which often go unreported in official tallies, suggests that the current volume of cases is likely an undercount.
    • Hospitalizations also remain low. On average, around 15,000 people are in American hospitals with the coronavirus each day — a figure comparable only to the earliest weeks of the pandemic.
    • Deaths in the pandemic, which are expected to reach 1 million in the United States in the coming weeks, continue to decline. Fewer than 400 coronavirus deaths are currently being reported each day, a decrease of more than 30 percent in the past two weeks."
    Unlike here, RATs aren't compulsorily reported leading to likely underreported case numbers.

Yet Australia is 'high risk'? :confused:

20. jaybean

How is this enforced?