COVID-19 in other countries 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Scott No Mates, 1st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

With my IPs, I see it every day :p.

geoffw likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It appears is more deadly also, in that per 1000 cases of the old strain, 10 will die .. whereas it's 13-14 with the new strain

3. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

UK not quite in total lockdown, they´re allowed to walk outside and to travel to work.
    At least the US and UK on a downward trend now, unlike here and Portugal, this third wave is the biggest, over 42000/day in Spain, UK variant in Barcelona now also (17 cases). Three Kings day Jan 6 did a lot of the damage, & very cold weather keeping everyone inside.

As many people getting covid as getting vaccinated (70K/day) presuming only half of cases detected. Guess that will speed up the herd immunity, at some point should see cases fall off a cliff.

covid20200122a.jpg

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2021
    Shazz@, Westminster and geoffw like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I hope that cliff comes soon for you @Casteller

Casteller likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There is concern that the downward trend in the US may be due to a slowdown in reporting over the holiday break; and also that the more contagious variant may lead to an upswing in cases. However, warmer weather and increased vaccination may start to have an effect in coming months.

Lizzie likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yes, I would have expected to start seeing a drop in deaths by now to correspond with the drop in daily case numbers - but there is no sign of that happening yet. Deaths do lag cases, but not by that much and we're still seeing daily deaths near record highs this week.

upload_2021-1-24_7-39-42.png

upload_2021-1-24_7-39-55.png

I suspect you are correct in that this drop in new cases may be representative of less testing rather than fewer cases.

I expect we'll see the case numbers in the US shoot up again within the next week or so.

kierank likes this.
  7. geoffw

I suggested that it may have been a slowdown in reporting rather than testing - which hasn't changed a lot.

Testing in the US
    Screenshot_2021-01-24-07-47-11-71.jpg

The drop shown in the last few days is a feature of these charts - there appears to be a delay in reporting testing. So it's likely to be the case that testing hasn't dropped much.

Lizzie likes this.
  8. Westminster

So there has been some recent speculation that Japan may not hold the Olympics in which case it won't be postponed again it will just happen next in 3 years time.
    I can totally understand that it would be extremely risky for Japan to allow so many countries to come in and be a logistical nightmare - just look at how the small Australian Open struggled.
    I think the writing is on the wall and there won't be an Olympics.

Lizzie likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Financial cost to Japan from not holding the Olympics will be huge.

Financial cost to Japan from holding the Olympics, needing to manage the risks - and potentially exposing the population to a large number of mass-seeding events - will possibly be even larger.

There's no easy choice here :(

Lizzie and Westminster like this.
  10. Westminster

I agree. Its an awful decision to make and no one knew we'd be battling the pandemic at these levels when the decisions were made.
    Sad for Tokyo and sad for all the athletes who's careers won't make it to 2024 events.

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I suspect the Tokyo Olympics will proceed.

Firstly the athletes will be willing to attend, regardless of the risk. Keep in mind most of them are under the age of 25, COVID is something that affects old people and most of the world isn't taking it that seriously anyway. They'll weigh the risk of infection vs the opportunity to compete at the games (once in a lifetime for many). They'll be quite happy to go. In their shoes I know I would; the opportunity outweighs the risk.

Secondly many countries will have been deploying the vaccine and will be starting to see the results of that. The US and Europe will finally be starting to slow the disease and be thinking that they've got it under control. It'll likely be premature, but they won't know that at the time..

Thirdly Japan has invested billions in the games. The next opening is in 11 years which means the money would be all but wasted if they abdicate now. They'll rationalise it by attempting to vaccinate all of the incoming visitors well before they arrive. They'll reduce attendance at various events to try to implement social distancing. They'll mandate mask wearing. Apparently about 80% of the public may not support the games, but the officials and government will think it will work.

It probably won't work. Japan will see significant super spreader events. They have an aging population which will overwhelm their medical facilities, but by that time the games will be over. For now though they'll convince themselves it will be okay and bow to international pressure.

kierank likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

For up to date info about why Europe is in such s mess ... can't go past Dr John's daily update. He calls a spade a spade with no sugar coating

Casteller likes this.
  13. Casteller

His video from Saturday is a bit depressing. "Tsunami" of Covid infections coming with new variants. Hope he´s wrong, as he does also, but it explains the various spikes seen in a few countries.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

One year on from the first cases appearing outside of China.

World: 100.3M cases/2.15 M fatalities
    US: 25.4M cases/0.425 M fatalities

Last edited: 27th Jan, 2021
  15. geoffw

I think it was actually rather worse than that.
    World: 100.3M cases/2.15M fatalities
    US: 25.4M cases/0.425M fatalities

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmmm?

17. geoffw

You've edited your post - now I'm the one who looks incompetent ;-)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Listening to the mess that is Portugal last night - hospitals overwhelmed, oxygen running out ... heart breaks for them and a shocking way to learn the lesson of letting tourists in

Portugal extends lockdown and closes border over 'terrible' Covid outbreak

prime minister, António Costa, told the TVI channel that things were not “bad” but “terrible”. He added: “There’s no point in feeding the illusion that we are not facing the worst moment."

19. Casteller

Tourists were more responsible for the second wave in Portugal and Spain (Sep-Nov). This third wave has resulted more from Xmas/New Year/3 Kings(only a thing in Spain and Portugal), and the new UK virus variant, (& Winter...?).

Hasn´t been many tourists in the last 5 months, entry from UK banned for a while unless resident here, from Schengen with a -ve test. Portugal the same.

20. geoffw

Britain is doing well with the vaccine rollout - at least there's something they've done well in response to the pandemic.
    Vaccine Rollout Gives U.K. a Rare Win in Battling Pandemic

Israel has now administered 4.5M doses for a population of 9M people - bearing in mind that there will be two doses per person required, and that there hasn't been much progress in vaccinating people in the Palestinian territories.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.