COVID-19 in other countries 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Scott No Mates, 1st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

2. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

Yes you are correct. I misread an article of the Guardian which stated:

“The challenge in Florida, and in far too many states, is [that] we still don’t have vaccination rates high enough, and in some pockets we have actually vaccination rates quite low,” Murthy said in an interview with McClatchy newspapers.

“The consequence is that Covid is now spreading very quickly in those populations.”
    “These vaccines are saving lives,” he said at a news conference at which he noted that more than 95% of new infections in Florida were of those who had not received a shot. The state ranks 25th in the US, with 48.1% of those eligible fully vaccinated, 0.7% below the national average.

Florida urged to ramp up vaccination effort amid ‘alarming’ Covid rise

SatayKing likes this.
  3. SatayKing

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You'd think - with 83 Covid threads and several overlapping into politics - I'd find somewhere to put this snippet of info, but nope. If there is somewhere more suitable then the mods can move it.

Now, I'm a fan of Faucci - not so much Rand - but Rand does raise an interesting connection.

In 2014 the NIH (National Institute of Health) - under which the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), of which Faucci is a long time director, falls - apparently gave to EcoHealth $3.7mil ... of which EcoHealth then gave the Wuhan Institute of Virology $600,000 towards conducting research into Coronavirus in bats ... a funding that was only pulled in 2020.

Coronavirus: Was US money used to fund risky research in China?

The question is - was the money used for "gain of function" studies ... gain of function can include:

- develop virus' that are potentially more dangerous to gain an understanding of viral evolution
    - develop better treatments against potential evolution
    - develop bio-weapons

What is Gain-of-Function Research?

I'm not drawing any conclusions - am fully aware that this sort of research goes on all the time - but it does raise some questions about what was really going on in Wuhan, who knew what and what is not being disclosed.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Taiwan is like Australia and has struggled with the virus over the last few months.
    It's an island nation of around 25 million, so naturally they were relying on borders to do the protection. Well, the virus got in and the population is highly unvaccinated, so they did the same thing we are doing to bring the case numbers down and they are also rushing to vaccinate too now... imo the population is more compilant to government orders than Australians are as a whole though. From my observations, Taiwanese people tend to live in more dense/urban housing than Australians do, so Australians may be more able to avoid encountering the virus than Taiwanese due to sheer luck of Geographical factors. Still best to vaccinate asap though. :)

COVID-19: Taiwan exits lockdown and steps up vaccine race

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I keep a close eye on Taiwan as I know a lot of people there. One thing I have found is that their case numbers are nothing like what is reported (and the people know this).

You will find that in this latest outbreak that caused the lockdowns, the number of deaths are at about 1 in 20 to as high as 1 in 10.

My guess is that cases are not being widely identified as testing is not free (unless there is a serious hot spot like someone getting sick in a factory).

So there is likely to be a ton of undetected cases still moving about.

Similar to Australia, the regional government has the say on lockdowns - but each jurisdiction is very small - like our LGAs. So we had this crazy situation where each LGA had slightly different rules at one stage pertaining to lock downs, and how much they were enforced.

There has been some way over-the-top policing - like the guy that got fines for taking his mask off in his own car to take a sip of drink, unclear enforcement of whether indoor gatherings of "5 or more" meant a max of 5 or 4 etc (the wording was confusing)....

To date they've only had one outbreak of Delta in the southern state of Pingtung, which they say they have successfully eradicated. I really hope so.

The Y-man

Gockie and geoffw like this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Gockie likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Firefly99, geoffw and Phoenix Pete like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

10. SatayKing

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I heard (and may be wrong) that the positive 3,000 were out of a mere 8,000 tests. Suspect they're not game to test and risk the games getting shut down.

It's also throwing me that every background banner reads Tokyo 2020 ... feel like I lost a year somewhere

12. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

The olympics are extremely unpopular with the japanese people and therefore japanese companies will not sponsor it....Lets see how US companies spend in bejing to capture their chinese audience next year. Cheers Ivan

13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Interesting article about the UK's "experiment" with COVID:

Will Covid become a disease of the young? The world is watching England to find out | Devi Sridhar

The UK government has decided to let the virus spread among young people. Paediatricians are split over how much harm it will cause

With vaccinated adults now largely protected from the severe consequences of Covid-19, the questions for children have changed. In the UK, there has been a surge of infections among children and adolescents. These will only increase when the school year starts again in the autumn.

The current approach in England seems to be to let teenagers get on with it and see what happens once they’re infected. The result will be an uncontrolled epidemic among younger age groups. Some British scientists aren’t alarmed by this, pointing to other diseases such as seasonal flu, which cause more hospitalisations among children than Covid-19. By contrast, paediatricians in the US argue that exposing children to a new virus with potentially long-term complications is a major risk that should be avoided. Covid-19 was among the top causes of child death in the US in 2020. Though I’m not a paediatrician, I struggle to understand how a disease considered risky to adolescents in the US can be considered innocuous in Britain.

...​

Hetty and Lizzie like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with the paediatricians on this - not an experiment I'd like my kids to be part of, with no results known for 5-10-15 years

Firefly99 and kierank like this.
  15. SatayKing

16. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Well, the English were continually telling the world during Euro 2020 that 'Football's coming home' and we all know how that ended up. Maybe they have a bit of built-in delusion about them.

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Islay and kierank like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

19. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I feel like that’s the plan here. There’s no plan to vaccinate kids under 12 and no plan to vaccinate kids over 12 any time soon. And Gladys seems to talk about vaccinating adults then opening up.

20. SatayKing

Putting aside any position regarding tardiness or hesitancy in getting a vaccination, you do have to feel for these people. The stress and worry they must be under I cannot imagine.

Coronavirus update: Latest Covid-19 vaccine and US reopening news

"There are “no more beds left” at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, which is Louisiana's largest hospital, Chief Medical Officer Katy O’Neal said at a news conference Monday.

Currently there are 23 patients waiting for a transfer into the Baton Rouge hospital for an intensive care unit bed.

“We have almost 800 beds, we have 713 people admitted today, and no one diagnosis should take up one quarter of your hospital,” O’Neal said, noting that there are at least 155 Covid-19 patients at the hospital today. “We no longer think we're giving adequate care to anybody, because these are the darkest days of the pandemic.”

“You have people with chest pain sitting in an ER right now, where their families sit in the waiting room and they are wringing their hands and they're calling everybody they know,” O’Neal added. “Because there are no more beds left. Those 23 patients are a glimpse of what we have been doing for the last two weeks while we have been trying to get everybody vaccinated. And it's not helping enough, because it's not happening fast enough.”

Lizzie and geoffw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.