COVID-19 in Australia

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by paulF, 31st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. random

random Well-Known Member

l knowwww, man that was nice to hear . lt's been pretty saddening the way Vics have just kept coming , really been hanging for just one wittle zero .

TMNT likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Depends on how you count it, as a QS or as an accountant. :oops:

3. roots73

roots73 Well-Known Member

Let's observe the number of new (community) infections over the next 2 weeks and these rallies may assist experts to determine how fast or slow the easing of restrictions should proceed.

I'm more concerned about infections spiking in the U.S. - we will know soon, hopefully not a massive increase in the major cities.

wylie likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It was reported that the rally organisers were handing out face masks and hand sanitizer (most people wore masks) .... aerial shots showed people attempting the keep social distancing with lots of space between marchers. And it was in the open air

No more risky than people leaping to the chance to go to restaurants in groups, that some on here have been pushing for ... and for a much more serious cause.

The protests would've gone ahead with or without police approval ... better that they give approval and can then legally assign resources.

Propagate, Gockie, wylie and 2 others like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not WA, Melb

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its the disconnection thats the issue, the medical argument should be consistent

if you can have massive protests around Australia then we should be open for business.

Going to restuarants where only a minimum of 10 people are permitted in one session with social distance in place is not the same as the protests we are seeing, not even close

BTW have you read some of @Casteller posts lately, insightful

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2020
    HUGH72 and Doncossack75 like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

There's a big difference between a one off protest which I'm guessing involves thousands of people for one day, and full on re-opening of the country which involves millions of people, day after day.

kierank likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I have read all Casteller's posts - and, although I feel for what they have been through, I cannot see the relevance to what occurred in Australia. We have not been prevented from going outside to exercise, shop at the supermarket/hardware store, no takeaway restaurants were closed, we have been able to visit family and friends for weeks now and this weekend we're allowed to travel within the State unrestricted ... and, for a week now we have been allowed gatherings "indoors" of up to 50 people ... unofficial outdoor gatherings have no limit as long as people maintain distancing

Joynz and kierank like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Certainly is

Category: | The Courier Mail

10. random

random Well-Known Member

ln a way our protests will be a pretty good test run really . l reckon there will b a bit of a spike in a wk or two but it'll be surprisingly low. l mean it's outside in the open air and people were fairly spaced really and most of the others around the world you see clips of were using their brains as well - apart from of course you know who.

Geez just looking at the world stats before , tell you one thing we've done damn well here , only 283 cases p million among the lowest in the world by miles.

kierank and Lizzie like this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The Bondi situation coincided with the biggest one day spike (related to it or coincidence, doesn't matter perhaps).

It was two and a half months ago, before we knew how we would do, how bad it would get here.

I don't think it is political. I think that as we've realised Australia has done very well, there is less concern that we will end up like the countries that have been so hard hit.

I believe we still need to be careful, but you cannot compare the situation from two and a half months ago with the situation now.

Whilst I feel very strongly about the topic, I still would not risk going to a protest.

kierank, TMNT and Lizzie like this.
  12. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah what l'd be thinking is Bondi was early in where this thing would've exploded at that time.
    Where as now hopefully anyway we're pretty well under control.

The demo itself man l don't care l'm just happy to see Aussies kicking up for once about whatever their cause . We've all been obedient nanny stated puppy dogs for far too long in this country . On this issue itself though l'm also more than happy for anything that can drawing attention to the way we're treating our Aboriginal people it's one of the biggest shames of this country unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Jun, 2020
    Propagate likes this.
  13. random

random Well-Known Member

Most def' . l've just been listening to reports right now that stated in some areas up to 100% of Aboriginals in custody die and in others as high as 50% .
    Also agree we are in very low case times now and in a totally different situation to back in the Bondi times.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

so why dont they open all the borders??

Doncossack75 likes this.
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

nothing is worth the health of my family and friends,
    also because 3 of my neighbours are all 60+

Cant think of any active topic that I would be willing to go protest for in 2020

kierank likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I dont think police get a choice

Heinz57 likes this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

and full respect to them,
    and to top it off, virtually every single action they take is under a microscope now,

MTR likes this.
  18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Kind of the definition of privilege there - most of us have nothing we need to make a stand about because we have that privilege. When your family and friends die or get badly beaten because of the colour of their skin, then your perspective might change somewhat.

To be clear: mass gatherings during a pandemic are less than ideal, but then, so is institutionalised racism in our police forces.

Please - let's keep this thread about COVID-19, I don't want to make this about racial issues.

Lizzie, Gockie and wylie like this.
  19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

let me leave it at, protesting/rioting/putting others health at risk is not the only way to make a point

Keeping on topic, if there was no covid, protesting in the CBDs of australia, I would not have a problem with

Doncossack75 likes this.
  20. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

The protests had a good cause and generally a lot of people are fully supporting of it. However if the virus start spreading again and the restuctions will need to be reintroduced again due to the protest, the sympathy towards reckless protestors quicly will wear off regardless of their cause.

kierank likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia