COVID-19 in Australia

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by paulF, 31st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I read through the article you linked but couldn’t lee the sentence you quoted?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yup and that is part of the risks. WA has a closed border (which was unpopular with the other states but more understandable now) however there are quite a few exemptions which is rightly so. It's just that everyone of those exemptions carries risks. They are all supposed to self isolate for 14 days but there has already been cases of non compliance.
    I'm sort of waiting for the inevitable non compliant idiot to ruin all the hard work WA has done.

kierank likes this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought that might happen because the site seems to update.

Found it at 1:28am, if you scroll down

4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Get TShirts and bumper stickers made. You'll make a mint :)

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Brilliant!!! Must get one.

The Y-man

6. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I'm with you, put strong protections in place for the most vulnerable, put flexible work options in place to support social distancing, educate everyone about best practices and then just re-open the country. Otherwise what is our long term plan? Live like globally and domestically isolated hermit crabs for the next X years until a vaccine/treatment may or may not be found?

Doncossack75 likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

He was in Sydney for work (all week) but at the pub with colleagues for a party.

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Yeah just saw on the news.
    Been in nsw for a while,
    He did nothing wrong.

I have a question which would be more effective, every person when outside wearing a mask with no social distancing vs social distancing with no mask?

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Other than still being out and about when crook.

Just waiting for the cluster to appear at his workplace (here and in Melbourne).

TMNT likes this.
  10. The Y-man

Was the person symptomatic tho?
    Seem to be reading a lot about asymptomatic spreaders and also could be hard to tell symptoms from a hangover the morning after the night before....

The Y-man

TMNT likes this.
  11. The Y-man

Depends on the mask.

The types of masks they are advocating is good because it stops the spread.

I wear a "reverse type" (or "******* type") that will stop me getting it, but won't stop me giving it to people if I have it.... (inbound filtration with exhale vent)

The Y-man

12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed this ain't so.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/cor...death-toll-stands-at-110-20200715-p55c3m.html

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Apparently the severity, especially amongst younger people, has a lot to do with the volume of virus laden air that is inhaled. Several thousand particles only inhaled into the upper tract can lead to mild symptoms - but if you suck a few million down into the lower lungs then it very quickly turns into pneumonia type symptoms.

That is the concern with enclosed spaces and loud talking (exhalation) such as at pubs and clubs, there are significantly more droplets circulating in the air than an outside orderly queue

kierank likes this.
  14. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

We know the intensity of infection transmission, if every second person walking around has the virus or exposed to it, what do strong protections look like for the most vulnerable? The risk of infecting people may not be entirely eliminated but you can ensure it isn't inevitable and this means suppressing it. Here's the point, all States including VIC almost got there until a series of debacles occurred. Pretty sure had these not happened, the discussion today would be significantly different around the entire country. They did happen and now have to take one step back - which is no different to other European countries or the USA that have shutdown regions and large cities on an 'as required' basis.

'Have you heard the one about the guy who walks into a NSW bar and shares his coronavirus with 30 strangers'..could be the opening line of a joke if it wasn't so deadly serious.

wylie, Lizzie and Propagate like this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

All forms of social interaction are a potential risk. Just because something goes from lockdown to open doesnt make it any safer. If everyone behaved like they had the virus and everyone beside them were thinking they are susceptable to the virus it may reduce. But no all these people think its all fine to go out and live life like its over. And want to moan about the consequences. Shame it isnt more like Ebola and have visual signs of infection.

What makes me angry is these people are also going to visit the elderly. They may well kill them.

Covid 19 is a virus that thrives on selfishness.

Bunbury, kierank, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  16. random

random Well-Known Member

They expect lower Vic numbers by the end of the wk , crikey, don't think l'll put any money on that one.
    Meanwhile the news starts with football , that runs for 5mins. Jezuz , we're deep aren't we.

17. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Those masks are banned in some places where masks are compulsory because they don´t protect two ways.

Joynz likes this.
  18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

OMG, in the old days, football was the ONLY news and took up the whole session.

Obviously something has changed :p.

random likes this.
  19. The Y-man

That makes total sense - I haven't been out since the mask reco went out for Vic - it will be interesting to see on my weekly shopping outing tomorrow to see the percentage of masked people.

The Y-man

20. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

A tip for avoiding visits to the chemist for prescriptions. I feel chemists are similar to doctors' surgeries - full of sick people and worth while avoiding. Ask your doctor for Reg 24 prescription that allows the full set of repeats to be sold at the same time. I always get mine that way so I have one visit to the chemist every six months. Also useful when travelling :(

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF