COVID-19 in Australia

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by paulF, 31st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Yep plus some wanted excitement and adventure and now they have it in spades too.

While I don't particularly like the person Anthony Downer when Foreign Minister once remarked the first thing he noticed on taking office was the number of O/S travelers who got into strife expected to be dug out of a hole by the Australian Government.

Lizzie likes this.
  2. VICPER

VICPER Well-Known Member

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There are still some people who need to travel, but I feel that all non-essential travel should be banned nationwide. Tourists should go home and stay there.

I don't get why there are still international tourists here in Australia? There is nothing to tour and they should not be moving about the country.

skater and wylie like this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

And domestic tourists, including the caravan brigade.
    They should all go home, and stay there.
    Anyone living permanently in a van should wait on the outskirts of a bigger town, not in the little outback towns where the supply of medical aid, food and petrol is limited.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine is a graphic designer. Everybody in their office is able to work remotely. Except that their company won't let anybody work away from the office - they don't trust anybody. Not even the person who has been there for ten years who has kids at home needing care.

Toon likes this.
  8. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

My employer won't let us work from home either. They're strongly ideologically opposed to it, but their current excuse is the risk of an employee getting a malware attack whilst working from home. The thing is, I'm already working remotely as a contractor for an interstate hospital, but out of my employer's local office rather than from home. I could easily take the computer home and plug it straight into the ethernet and be up and running immediately. It would connect to their main server at the head office. Alternatively, I could set up via my own laptop.

My supervisor at the hospital has told my employer it's OK for me to work from home and all the on-site hospital staff doing the same job are now able to work from home. However, even after being told this, my employer put out a group email saying they are complying with distancing requirements. End of discussion. Whilst our desks are very well separated, we still have shared bathroom / kitchen, which are also shared with other offices within the same building.

In Italy I believe the government ended up having to make it law that employers offered working from home arrangements to anyone whose position could be done from home. I wish they would do the same here.

skater, Gockie, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  9. SatayKing

Seems we have yet to reach peak stupidity.

10. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

In Spain now if you can't work from home you don't work, it's now illegal to travel to any workplace, essential workers excepted. Also illegal to travel to any holiday home.

MTR and Toon like this.
  11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So how can they work and care for kids at the same time?

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have been shocked by the posts my Facebook ‘friends’ have shared.

I got a video a few days ago featuring this total nut job guy saying you can’t catch corona virus because we all already have it in our systems and that you can avoid it by keeping away from processed food.

The video had already been taken down by youtube so my friend was encouraging everyone to share it on Facebook.

I commented that it was an irresponsible video and asked people not to share.

My friend responded with a text saying she had removed my comment as it was her right to post whatever she liked on her wall.

Its disturbing to see people I know (even someone I’m not close to) sharing this rubbish.

14. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Report the post to Facebook.

15. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

I am petrified that the government is going to make ever-more encouraging statements about flattening the curve which uneducated people are going to assume means it's all over. I think this is the greatest risk to Australia's progress in recovery.

Someguy likes this.
  16. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

They prob say same thing about people praying?

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Same in WA

Perth is also cut off from south west in WA, where most people have holiday homes. Not sure how long this will last

18. SatayKing

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

On a State level ...... WA, McGowan has done a great job, with best poll ratings:) out of all the Premiers. Nice work

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

In NSW the age group with the most Covid cases are the 20-29 yo group. Very surprising. 361AA3C4-65D2-4A2B-A497-EBE43E3560C2.png

Maybe the large social get togethers at Bondi was the cause.

Last edited: 3rd May, 2020
    Lizzie likes this.