COVID-19 in Australia

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by paulF, 31st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

This is good news...I was thinking it may stretch out to early 2022.

"The government has confirmed its supplies of the AstraZeneca vaccine and expects it to have a final assessment by the Therapeutic Goods Administration in late January or early February. It has also finalised its contract with Pfizer and expects its assessment to be completed in January.

"I think the latest advice will be very good news for Australians. Pfizer is progressing well, Oxford is progressing well, while we await more data on Novavax, the last advice is it's progressing well," Mr Hunt said.

He added the government expects Australians will be fully vaccinated by the end of October".

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2020
    Anne11 and Lizzie like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Not because Sydney is the first, but because the Sydney fireworks are "eye conic"
    Screenshot_2020-12-28-13-48-02-74.jpg

datto likes this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Am beginning to think NSW Govco handling of the current outbreak is a joke !

After the lessons learned from Victoria, being the extent and severity of their lockdown I just can't believe they haven't gone hard and heavy on this outbreak.......

From Woolongong to the central coast and spreading, numerous unknown transfer cases, masks should be mandatory in public area's (unless seated at a table eating).

I was in Wahroonga, Bronte, Kogorah, Brighton le Sands & Kirrawee yesterday, the people queued or sitting back to back in cafe's and shops without masks as I drove past was unbelievable, it looked busier than pre pandemic times :mad:

The number of people with no regard is astounding :confused:
    People think it won't get me and flaunt the rules.
    The Northern Beaches couple getting married in the city :eek:
    The fines need to be considerably MORE o_O
    Or jail time ;)

*for the record, I took my lunch and had no contact during my day mowing :p

datto, Bunbury, Shazz@ and 4 others like this.
  5. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

We have been nothing like Victoria. I am thankfull we have not panicked and rushed to lock down a state destroying peoples lives like Victoria did. We are not seeing exponential growth, 20 deaths per day and a health system completely inadequate to handle anything. A controlled response is what is happening. Victoria still can't tell you who stuffed their hotel quarantine.

There's and handful if unknown cases. Transmission is happening in the home, workplace, church, gym or restaurant.

We haven't had transmission at the beach, a picnic with friends, shopping at Westfield's, BLM protests or watching your kids sport.

Sewage samples show that the virus is in the community in most states, and has been for some time.

Don't think jail time is appropriate but bigger fines and name and shame. I noticed the news blurred out the faces. Maybe because they couldn't identify who was in the wrong.

You wouldn't have been able to do that if in Victoria.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The reason Vic locked down is they had exponential and untraced growth ... suspect Sydney would also lock down if they raced to 700+ cases within a few weeks.

Government, tracing, testing and ... most importantly the populous ... learnt a heck of a lot from Vics learning curve

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There haven't been any mass-seeding events outside of the Avalon cluster yet - testing and contact tracing has been able to keep everything under control for the most part.

Lizzie likes this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Okay - we have a new "Croydon" cluster in the inner west with a large family group gathering on multiple occasions in the leadup to Christmas. 6 confirmed cases so far - more expected as further testing occurs.

2 new cases in Wollongong under investigation (both linked to each other but unknown source so far - one of the cases did travel to Sydney CBD area, so possibly contracted it there).

18 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm yesterday across greater Sydney (including 9 new cases from the existing Avalon cluster).

Further restrictions on gatherings announced across Sydney in the leadup to NYE.

The Croydon cluster could be problematic given the extended family are from multiple locations across Sydney - so if they have spread it in their own local areas, then we could be seeing the start of a wider outbreak.

9. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Can think of a few.
    - Christmas, many households breached the 10 visitors rule
    - Bronte beach party where over 300 people gathered and no one got a fine :mad:
    - Sydney wedding where the bride and several guests were from the northern beaches.
    Great to see the police lockdowns in that area working :rolleyes:
    - NYE
    - The third test will also be happening here with 15000 people allowed to watch.

Bunbury, Stoffo and kierank like this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Not what I meant.

A "mass seeding event" is when there have been actual cases of transmission detected across multiple people - for example, Avalon where a large number of unrelated people caught the virus at a number of venues.

Just because people did the wrong thing - does not make it likely they will spread the virus. You can't spread something you don't have.

Indeed, from what the Premier and CHO said this morning, it doesn't sound like the people in the Croydon cluster did anything wrong at all - they didn't know they were infectious and someone came forward for testing as soon as they started showing symptoms - and yet, they have now been the source of a new outbreak.

Fortunately, people doing the wrong thing aren't spreading it - naturally it could be a lot worse if they did.

11. Simon Hampel

To be clear: there are no "police lockdowns" on the northern beaches - there are "stay at home" orders.

12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

It’s coming - just wait until after Xmas and New Year say, two to three weeks from now.

I hope I am wrong but ...

datto, Bunbury and Gladys like this.
  13. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I await your I told you so post.

kierank likes this.
  14. kierank

It’s coming - just sitting in my “draft” folder :p

twobobsworth likes this.
  15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

New restrictions about to come in.....
    I hope they actually "enforce" these and don't rely on people doing the right thing !

No one wants a lock down, but if Gladys doesn't go hard and fast like Adelaide prior to the 4/1/2021 we could well end up in a Victorian style of dilemma where the restrictions last for many months !!!!
    For those that carry on about the economy, get over it, I choose a few weeks over MONTHS :D

Forget the trans Tasman bubble, no more returned travellers to NSW (who have taken the majority to date), no travel within NSW or out of it, soon transport and logistics will be affected = a longer holiday break and financial chaos :(

The needs of the many, ruined by a selfish few :mad:

Shazz@, Bunbury, The Y-man and 2 others like this.
  16. kierank

One thing Governments around the world should have learnt by now is to “go hard and go early”.

This is NOT new. It is simple mathematics.

Us investors all know the rule so well. It is called the rule of compounding.

It can work in a positive way as with investing. To achieve one’s greatest success, one needs to “go hard and go early”.

It can work in a negative way as with pandemics. To stop these from getting out of control, one needs to “go hard and go early”.

It ain’t that hard folks.

Shazz@, Lizzie, Stoffo and 1 other person like this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Dammit!!!

Three people diagnosed with COVID–19 in Victoria

The three new locally acquired cases are from Mentone, Hallam and Mitcham.

The cases are present in two women in their 40s and a woman in her 70s.

A Victorian Government spokesperson say the cases are believed to be linked to the Sydney outbreak.

The cases are being treated as community acquired and separate to the eight active cases in hotel quarantine.

The three people have been told to self-isolate and all close contacts have been told to self-isolate.

DHHS has released a list of high risk locations, adding that they expect to update them again tomorrow as information comes to hand:

• December 27: Mentone/Parkdale Beach between 10:00am and 4:30pm
    • December 28: Century City Walk and Mocha Jo’s, Glen Waverley between 1:30pm and 5:00pm
    • December 28: Katialo restaurant, Eaton Mall, Oakleigh between 7:00pm and 8:15pm

The new cases bring to an end Victoria's two month COVID-free streak of locally acquired cases.

The Y-man

18. Simon Hampel

Note that this is pure supposition by the Victorian authorities at this point - there is no evidence yet that the Victorian cases are linked to the Sydney clusters.

From the Age (emphasis mine):

"Leading epidemiologists have suggested the likely origin of Victoria’s fresh coronavirus cases came from people travelling from NSW to celebrate Christmas in Victoria."

I'd want to see the results of full genomic sequencing first before any links were made between them.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If we were to have the wearing of masks in Greater Sydney public area's made mandatory at all times, maybe people will realize how serious this new wave is and actually start taking it all seriously again.........

The majority have quickly become blase, looking at people in shopping centers, cafe's and supermarket lately and the lack of social distancing, many people don't even use the free hand sanitizer when entering :confused:

Just when everyone was hoping to say goodbye to 2020 and Covid, 2021 looks to be starting off much worse (for NSW & possibly Vic)

Last edited: 31st Dec, 2020
    Lizzie and kierank like this.
  20. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Australian public getting away with a lot it seems without massive outbreaks. Have seen hardly anyone on public transport or a shop/supermarket without a mask here since last April (except small kids under 6). Once I saw a guy without a mask in a supermarket, the staff physically manhandled him out the door, police and security are on the ball. I´ve been busted a few times for having mask under nose, or not wearing gloves in fruit section, sometimes forget.

I think Australia has a lot to be thankful for to the contact tracers, its pretty crap/impossible in most countries. The Australian testing rate is not much different to Europe/US but it´s what is done with the test results that makes a difference. Also the quarantine/border control.

Anne11, wylie, Gockie and 3 others like this.