COVID-19 in Australia 2022

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by geoffw, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Deaths from Covid in NSW vs other causes of death. Covid is again the second leading cause of death.
    FT9V81LVEAEzhaF.jpeg

(Source: Twitter @CovidBaseAU )

Terry_w likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - and cases are going nuts. I guess, after over two years we've simply got "pandemic fatigue" and are resigned to living with it.

Although, I do still mask in the supermarket

3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Add in influenza.

Yep, people are tired (or indifferent) of the whole thing. Neither the Corona or Influenza virus are though.

"At this stage, we're not thinking about mandating it, because ... I'm not a big fan of mandates unless we really have to [but] if more and more people can wear their mask indoors, I think will make a big difference this flu season," Dr Coleman said.

"We have seen an early start to the flu here, and there does seem to be large numbers of people [being infected]."

Dr Coleman told ABC radio the flu and COVID spread in very similar ways.

"One of the reasons why we didn't have much of a flu season in the last couple of years, because everyone was doing [things like wearing masks] so fantastically," she said.

"I would really strongly encourage people to pick up that mask and put it back on if you haven't been wearing it."

Coleman calls to 'pick up that mask and put it back on', but ACT stops short of mandate

geoffw and Lizzie like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It's really pleasing to see that NSW will be offering free flu jabs for everyone - Free flu vaccine 'blitz' announced in NSW amid 'increasing hospitalisations'

Free flu jabs will be made available to everyone in New South Wales from Wednesday in what authorities are describing as a "month-long blitz" to combat what is anticipated to be a horror winter for influenza.

There has already been a huge surge in flu infections, with more than 1,100 reported cases of respiratory illness in the past week and 150 presentations and admissions to hospitals.

Usually only high-risk groups of people are eligible for free flu shots, but the state government has decided to pick up the tab for everyone in a bid to curb the massive rise in infections.

They will also be available through pharmacies as well as GPs, to make it easier for people to access vaccinations.

I think I will have to get my first ever flu jab this year. I've never bothered before, because I've always been at low risk of catching the flu, especially working from home full time.

I can only recall two bad cases of the flu I've experienced in my adult life - once when I was in my first year at university having just moved to the city - and a second time after a work trip to India back in 2001.

But I'm older now, and even though my risk of being exposed to it hasn't really changed (exposure via my kids is likely my biggest risk) - the potential outcomes are worse and I figure it's worth getting the extra protection.

I believe SA and WA are also offering free flu vaccinations to everyone as well?

So far we've only see 3 confirmed flu deaths this year (there may be more - but not all deaths are followed up to confirm whether flu was a factor). Age range for those deaths has been 87-92 years. Source.

That's compared to the 50+ daily deaths we're currently seeing from COVID - and it's still increasing.

The three flu deaths in 2022 have come from 38,743 notifications of laboratory-confirmed influenza. That's a case-fatality rate of 0.008% ... compared to the current 6,221 deaths from 6,863,472 cases of COVID so far in 2022, for a case-fataility ratio of 0.09% - more than 10 times higher than the flu.

geoffw likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yup WA is offering free flu jabs. You can grab it at any of the Covid vaccination centres (of course not whilst getting a covid jab) and any of the participating vaccination pharmacists.

6. Simon Hampel

upload_2022-5-30_16-51-24.png

upload_2022-5-30_16-51-32.png

upload_2022-5-30_16-51-38.png

upload_2022-5-30_16-51-14.png

upload_2022-5-30_16-52-4.png

upload_2022-5-30_16-52-20.png

upload_2022-5-30_16-52-37.png

Deaths continue to trend upwards, despite hospitalisations now showing a steady downtrend.

Victoria continues to have the worst death rate overall on a population basis - but for 2022, NSW is now leading:

upload_2022-5-30_17-25-55.png

7. Simon Hampel

8. Simon Hampel

9. Simon Hampel

10. Simon Hampel

11. Simon Hampel

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The study found about 20 per cent of those suffering from long COVID-19 can experience brain impairment for at least 12 months without improvement ... "We're hopeful it will take another year or less to see some improvement in their condition but we just don't know," he said.

"The study has also identified a marker of cognitive impairment - a nerve toxin in a particular pathway in the brain, which opens up the possibility of repurposing existing drugs to modulate this toxin, which could potentially give us a treatment."

Long COVID-19 impacting brains for over a year, research shows

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I find the complacency of people now is almost scary - daily deaths of 25+ but no screams of incredulity whereas during peak Covid a couple of deaths was a catastrophe. :confused:

The Y-man and geoffw like this.
  14. Simon Hampel

"Somebody else's problem"

The more people who get a mild case of COVID, the less those people will care.

What isn't getting much media attention right now is the increased risk of stroke and heart-disease in people of all ages if they've had COVID.

Lizzie likes this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

When flu season deaths a few years ago were a headline
    newsGP - Flu-zero: More than a year since Australia’s last flu death

And when we compare it to 2021 - ?

And now covid approaching 10,000. Its hard to understand the data. Unvaccinated ? Age ? Other heath issues that contribute ? Its hard to statistically determine deaths are caused by complacency. COVID deaths by age indicate fraility and general health are a predominant concern vs general transmission still
    https://www.health.gov.au/health-al...nd-statistics#cases-and-deaths-by-age-and-sex

16. SatayKing

17. Simon Hampel

To be fair - a lot of them have only just become eligible (due to waiting periods between boosters). My Dad only just got his a couple of weeks ago.

But yes - it is important that we get more people in those vulnerable age groups getting their 4th dose.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm simply "waiting" to catch it - not going out deliberately but more and more people I know are coming down with it at various times and locations

19. SatayKing

Fair point.

While I haven't seen the breakdown by age group I'd hazard a guess it would be the 65+ which would be the greater portion of those presently in hospital - which means those beds are not available to patients with other conditions.

upload_2022-6-23_9-14-55.png

What I have also noticed is since Government's have advised mask wearing is not required, many don't and that includes many in the higher risk categories. Quite understandable from the position if the Government says you don't have to then it's OK not to wear one.

20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The feeling of impending doom/inevitable is strong for people that still haven't gotten it yet. My 14yo and 16yo haven't had it yet. The 14yo still wears a mask at school and in many spaces (shops, events) the 16yo only wears his on public transport but doesn't go out as much.
    I had it 10 weeks ago and wear a mask now in times when I can't socially distance because I'm quite comfortable doing so, do it to support my daughter and I also don't want the flu. The 3.5hrs I spent in the passport pick up queue this week I was probably amongst the minority wearing a mask - I'd say 10% we were wearing one.

Lizzie likes this.