COVID-19 in Australia 2022

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by geoffw, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Did you or your partner have any medical issues that would mean you are entitled to the fourth jab? I've just had Covid, hubby didn't get it even though we didn't isolate from each other. But he is eligible (I believe) for the fourth jab, and I'm hoping that may allow me to get it too.

The insurer who will insure him has just re-entered into the OS travel insurance again, and I called and was told they do cover Covid. I just happened to check last Thursday, the first day they were up and running. Nobody could tell me any details as they were having training on Friday. I'll know more this week.

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Have you tried pharmacy shopping?

You may find one who is a bit slack on reviewing if you meet the criteria :eek:.

3. wylie

If you meet the criteria you should be able to get it at your GP. I would have thought with many people not bothering to get the first booster, the health department should be happy to allow those who are keen to get the second booster to have it.

4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

No we don’t meet the criteria we’re both too young with no applicable medical issues.

5. jaybean

Thought about it but was just too busy

kierank likes this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My GP doesn't offer vaccinations at all now. Neither does a large local practice. I'm going to have to visit to find if a local pharmacy offers them - information online gives no indication. The only practice which does offer appointments online is for First Nations people.

Edit: the local pharmacy accepts walk-ins without an appointment.

Last edited: 16th May, 2022
  7. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Want 4th jab.. Been 6 months.

My brother has pretty bad case of Covid, but thankfully I am fine.

This is the 2nd time I've been in close contact with covid cases, but have avoided sickness. I'm just worried that the vax effectiveness will start to wear off and I might not be lucky 3rd time.

8. jaybean

I don't understand it, with 90%+ vaccination rates surely there's enough surplus now to go around. I'd love to get a booster every 3-6 months if I could.

gman65 likes this.
  9. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Still common here in Spain though much lower than a month ago since mandates removed. Maybe 15% outdoor, 30% indoor, 100% public transport and pharmacies, etc.. US sounds like UK.

10. jaybean

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say Boston is about 1 in 50 with a mask. And even then most people I see wear it reluctantly, it's down around their mouth only or even on their chin.

I'm almost starting to feel weird walking around with one, so I suspect social / peer pressure is stronger than any other factor.

Boston is a highly educated city too, I imagine it must get progressively worse as you move away.

wylie likes this.
  11. kierank

We had our 1st and 2nd boosters at different chemists.

For our 1st booster (in January), the pharmacy was very strict, making sure we ticked all the boxes.

For our 2nd booster (i2 weeks ago), the pharmacy was very relaxed about the criteria. From where we sat, they did little to no verification .

12. wylie

@kierank I'm assuming (like us) you had AZ as first two jabs. We had Moderna booster.

What did you have for your second booster? Did you get a choice?

13. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Living with someone at risk isn't eligible at this stage .

If your " category " isn't eligible , Personally I won't be doing it . There are lots of high risk people who haven't had their's so the authorities will giving them time to get it done . Once they see that most who want it have had it , they will open it up for everyone else , and I expect that to happen before we get much further into winter ( probably in the next month , maybe earlier )

If you were not eligible due to being less than 4 months since number 3 , and four months was going to tick over just after you left , I think many people would be happy to bend the rules in that situation , BUT it is up to the individual practitioner .

Cliff

wylie likes this.
  14. wylie

I've just had Covid and we don't travel for another four months. Hubby does fall into the category but I don't, but if I can get a booster and our GP says I would benefit from it, that's what I'll do. :)

See Change likes this.
  15. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain you'll be able to get it well before travel time . I expect everyone who is eligible timing wise will be able to get it before the onset of winter .

Cliff

wylie likes this.
  16. kierank

First two were AZ, first booster was Moderna, second was Pfizer.

I was thinking I would get Novavax as the second booster due to it being a different technology.

But I didn’t meet the criteria and our GP didn’t really want to sign a letter to authorise it. He suggested pharmacy shopping if I really, really wanted it.

It wasn’t that critical so I chose Pfizer, just for something different. Out of the three vaccines I have had, Pfizer had no side effects, AZ cold feet the second night and Moderna was the worst - a real doughy head for a day or two.

wylie likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

An interesting comparison between the US and Oz from the NYT

How Australia Saved Thousands of Lives While Covid Killed a Million Americans
    Linky

(Hopefully it works)

Last edited: 17th May, 2022
    Firefly99 likes this.
  18. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I recently had my fourth dose, but it was the live vaccine. I'm walking around like I'm Highlander, but I don't recommend it.

From what I can gather, the Omicron-specific vaccine will be ready around spring, which should be just in time for the Pi variant.

19. jaybean

Oh the omicron vax is close? Hype!

shorty likes this.
  20. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

A preview of 2023

upload_2022-5-21_16-35-59.png