COVID-19 in Australia 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 1st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Have you tried the online eligibility checker? It has a mapping tool showing which clinics that are providing the vaccine. Vaccines Eligibility Checker

It takes you through a few eligibility questions (but if your answer to the question on age is 50 or older, you will be eligible). Then you will get to Make a Booking screen. This has a map that shows all the clinics nearby. You can also sort the clinics by soonest appointment available and it shows the wait period too.

D43DCE60-9708-4529-801B-BBE693E03CA8.png

I had my vaccination a couple of days ago - as part of the new ‘everyone 50 and over is eligible’ approach.

I got an appointment really quickly at one of the nearby vaccination clinics - had lots of choice of slots.

Last edited: 9th May, 2021
    Marg4000 likes this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I'll find that out later in this week.

According to some I spoke with, there are a few worries about the low vaccination rates as they estimate it won't take much for the newer Covid variants to circulate widely.

Joynz likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are you in Queensland?

Here is a search I did on the eligibility site for an inner Brisbane post code. Service Finder
    Appointments are available within 2 days at a few places.

688DAB6D-F5C6-41A1-A5C0-691CE308AAAF.png

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Heaps of availability if you go online and check.

Maybe delays if you want a specific doctor or medical practice.

Last week my doctor said she had 900 doses sitting in her fridge......

Joynz likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The vaccine distribution has been a big disappointment. While we've been one of the best countries in terms of handling the outbreak, we've become on of the worst industrialised countries in terms of vaccinating.

One gets the impression that it's not regarded as particularly important, given the low incidence of infections.

It's possible that this could tarnish the government's golden halo.

kierank likes this.
  6. Marg4000

You don’t have to wait.

On the Gold Coast, Coolangatta Medical Centre advises appointments within 2 days. Check the Govt website for something closer to you.

kierank and Shogun like this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think there’s been a lot of politicking about this, with little basis. Politicians trying to get a leg up for the next election.

I think that the vaccine rollout is going fine. There is clearly availability.

Don’t forget that we are at really low risk in this country - so it’s not as urgent as it is in other countries with uncontrolled community transmission.

NZ isn’t planning on vaccinating its whole population until near the end of 2021 (and their population is much lower than in Australia).

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Marking a booking in Perth doesn't seem to be an issue.
    I could today and next week, online bookings only many other places are phone only.
    Google finds places not on this site

Service Finder

Marg4000 and Joynz like this.
  9. SatayKing

Similar issue with the distribution of the flu vaccine last year. More than enough were produced but the logistics were lacking. I suspect it's the same issue with the Covid vaccine although the production still has to be ramped up.

kierank likes this.
  10. Marg4000

But whose “fault” is it?

Doctors are well paid for giving the vaccinations, so some seem happy to keep their patients on some sort of a “list” rather than advising them of other, quicker places to receive the vaccine.

We simply went to the online Govt checker once we became eligible in late March (1B), phoned the nearest centre offering availability and had our first vaccination within a week. A neighbour is still being strung along by her doctor who is “waiting for supplies”.

I’ve just checked several locations in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and in each area there is at least one clinic offering appointments within 2 days.

(Talking cities here, country and remote areas may differ.)

Joynz likes this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I got mine Friday night. Just have a sore arm, and a head ache through yesterday. Last night my head ache was worse, but I feel pretty good this morning.

My GP isn't doing it yet, but I went to Wellers Hill medical centre. Booked on line. Easy.

Marg4000 and Joynz like this.
  12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've heard that a community vaccination clinic was set up on Sydney's northern beaches and almost nobody turned up. I'm not sure if that's a communication issue or whether people are scared of the vaccine.

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The rollout is well behind the government's own original schedule. Four million had been promised by the end of March, one million had been administered by then. We're number 90 in the world for vaccination rates. While there isn't the perception of urgency here, the slow uptake will delay international travel substantially, outgoing and incoming, affecting tourism, international students and casual workers.
    Australia’s vaccine rollout is falling way behind the rest of the world

Some reasons for delays
    Some over 50s ready to give up on vaccine due to 'terribly confusing' rollout

And I'm sure the publicity about blood clots has contributed towards hesitancy.

The US is doing vaccinating very well.

kierank likes this.
  14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In these unusual times, I think it’s worth having a flexible approach - and not rushing to judgement.

I think some of those ‘confused’ over 50s must not be trying to get information. It’s pretty clear from the Covid-eligibility website what to do.

The guy in the article you linked to complained about being on hold on the phone. Online would probably have helped.

And he did get an appointment for next week - which is only a week after the vaccines were made available to over 50s (but that’s only mentioned in the final sentence of the article).

In the other article, two epidemiologists say that our slower rollout has an advantage - I.e. that we have been able to learn from other countries.

Yes, we are not on the original schedule, but we are in a completely different situation than the US. And if the pandemic has taught us anything it is that plans don’t always go to schedule.

I think it’s better to compare with NZ rather than countries where there is widespread community transmission.

kierank, Gockie and Marg4000 like this.
  15. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I think there is one in olympic park as well that no one turned up to.
    I’m my view, it’s a communication issue. They should just do a media blitz to get people vaccinated. Right now, it should be targeted for over 50s.

Joynz and geoffw like this.
  16. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I am in WA. With the wise words from Dear Leader Gladys no wonder people in NSW are confused. Your GP is first place to visit for a vaccine.

17. SatayKing

I don't know if it is true or not but I did read this comment elsewhere. I think it's a bit iffy but there could be some element of truth to it. Very hard when the communication isn't consistent and a number of people gather their information, such as it is, only from unofficial sources. I don't know the answer unfortunately.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There seem to be slots in Olympic Park within 7 days.

Service Finder

29211E64-54CE-42D3-9A86-1E819BF8C342.png

19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Let’s all help by sharing the service finder link to people 50 and over.

Service Finder

And if you’ve had the vaccination, tell people - so it demystifies it for people who are scared.

Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Good link - there's one around 20 minutes drive. Booked in for later this week - not my normal doc, but no health appointments and administered by the clinic nurse anyhow. Have shared the link with my squad "after" I booked, to make sure they don't get swamped.

Hubby's going to have to wait as his work has him lined up for flu shot this week.

Joynz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.