COVID-19 in Australia 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 1st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Yes and that’s about our max, hence I’m saying we probably won’t officially have 100k cases a day at any point in the near future unless they find a way to increase the capacity of testing.

2. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Problem with a high positivity rate is it makes batch testing, which creates heaps of efficiency with low positivity rates, pointless.

So instead of testing a batch of 5 or 10 combined samples at once, and clearing them all if you get a negative result (or going back and testing individually if it's positive), you have to test everything individually because so many batches will contain one positive case.

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Dec, 2021
    Terry_w likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You then need to work smart again, revisit the testing scenario - recategorise the samples & combine those who are asymptomatic, those who require testing for OS travel, work requirements etc -most of which you would expect to be clear.

shorty likes this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

If only people with symptoms get tested and our max daily testing capacity is 150K then I reckon the daily positive number will probably reach 150K.

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I would think they would/could use not more than 50% of each persons samples in the initial screen then they could use the balance for the individual tests if needed. But I don’t know.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

But we've reached 157k with a number of the private testing labs closed for the public holidays. Some won't open until later next week.

7. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I wasn’t aware many labs were closed - all the testing places local to me are open except when they run out of tests, if the testing places are open I would think the labs would be too but I guess they are different things. They were talking about issues with capacity at the press conference today and the huge backlog. Back when they were doing surveillance testing they couldn’t sustain it so they stopped - I think the most tests was about 170k on a day? There’s a reddit thread by a pathologist Norman Swan is encouraging people to read concerning our testing capacity (and other things) https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronaviru...ight_into_whats_happening_inside_pathologies/

Last edited: 29th Dec, 2021
  8. geoffw

My apologies, I don't know about the labs - but many of the testing stations around southern NSW at least are closed for varying lengths of time, from one day to 1½ weeks. Our local drive through testing station at Queanbeyan is closed, leaving only the walkthrough clinics.

9. geoffw

And only 97,201 tests yesterday, with 12,226 positive. Over 10% positive for the first time, I think.

Possibly because travel tests are dropping off, and with the government encouraging only people with symptoms to be tested, the positivity rates are rising.

The reduced numbers of tests may be because they are reporting only on results received, for tests taken on public holidays when the number of testing stations dropped.

10. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    COVID-19 Mortality
    • 71.2% of people who died from COVID-19 had pre-existing chronic conditions certified on the death certificate.
    • Chronic heart diseases were the most common pre-existing chronic condition for those who died from COVID-19.
    • The median age for those who died from COVID-19 was 83.7 years (81.2 years for males, 86.0 years for females).
    upload_2021-12-30_10-28-21.png

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

A lot is because one simply cannot get a test ... Junior's friend - who flew in from overseas and was supposed to get a PCR test 4 days ago - queued up at 7am and got turned away at 8.30 ... so no test for the 4th day in a row of trying

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Did I miss something (Vic)? I just went shopping and I'd say 25% of the supermarket crowd didn't have masks.... o_O

The Y-man

13. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Melbourne is healing.

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Very odd!

Joynz likes this.
  15. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Now that the definition of close contact has changed to 4 hours we should be abolishing QR check ins.

Observer likes this.
  16. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes it doesnt make sense unless you are in the shop for 4 hours with the infected person.

Observer likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You do realise the change of definition was purely political. The testing system was overwhelmed and didn't order nearly enough rapid tests so, instead of fixing the testing system they've simply redefined the definition to keep people away from testing stations - smoke and mirrors.

If you don't test you don't have cases

There was a political affiliated "taskforce" spokesperson on the news last night, blaming the lack of rapid tests on people for not buying rapid tests when they were available ... huh?

Baker, Joynz and standtall like this.
  18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I am worried as a lot of pressure had been applied to approve vaccines and bring forward booster times - political pressure applied to push the medicos to change their opinions.

datto and Lizzie like this.
  19. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Case fatality rates as at 31 July 2021

upload_2021-12-31_9-22-41.png

Case fatality rates as at 31 October 2021

upload_2021-12-31_9-23-48.png

2FAST4U likes this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

NSW rocketing ahead - 21,151 cases....

The Y-man