COVID-19 impacts on the Australian economy & housing market

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Redom, 17th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

and in areas like Western Sydney, something had already started to happen with vacancies....

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.03.28 am.png

LeeM likes this.
  2. Woodjda

Woodjda Well-Known Member

Sydney wide vacancy rates have been increasing over the last couple of years. It'll scream higher once it's safe enough for people to move out.

3. chunho01

chunho01 Well-Known Member

How do they capture the values? Based on settlement date? Contract date?

0 - 1% increase in March is too positive amidst all these doom and gloom talks.

4. berten

berten Well-Known Member

There is some lag to the corelogic index. When the market turned around from the prev downturn, I noticed it took quite a while to show up, and when it did it was smoothed compared to reality of what I was seeing locally on the ground.

chunho01 and Jana like this.
  5. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

much less auctions probably

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

7. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Discussion in Is he finally right? Note that the Daily Mail is the last place to getting reliable information. When tomorrow they run a headline that says "Could eating betroot cure Coronavirus?", the answer is almost certainly not, as always is the case with their 'could' headlines. And when they say "a leading economist said ....", the subtext is that after phoning nine others, they finally found one who said what they wanted.

8. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

A leading scientist said, being alive is a risk to getting covid19. Hmmmm what should we do?

Erida, MTR and wilso8948 like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It's only a zero sum game is there are exactly the same number of dwellings as there are people wanting to live in them.

There are always vacancies - and as you said yourself, Sydney vacancy rates have been increasing.

People have choices about where they want to live. Just because an investor has bought a property, does not make there no choices for owner occupiers.

There are always new dwellings being constructed. There are always vacancies. People have a choice.

No investor is going to buy an investment property if it is likely it will remain vacant. They only buy it when there is an expectation that someone will want to live there. If nobody wanted to rent an investment property, then there wouldn't be any investment properties.

If you are of the belief that investors are "stealing" properties from owner occupiers - an investor buying a property will force another family into the rental market, then I fear this is not the website for you.

Toon, Codie, Francesco and 1 other person like this.
  10. Woodjda

I'm aware I'm but the standard poster around here.

But are you seriously suggesting an investor buying an existing home increases housing supply? Seriously? The house that is already there and bring lived in already exists! Whether it becomes an investment or PPOR is utterly irrelevant in the overall supply-demand balance of housing. It's not changing the number of houses in existence or the number of people that need housing.

And of course more investors buying existing houses without expanding the total overall number of houses means less people owning their PPOR. That's just basic maths.

11. Simon Hampel

If it is available to purchase, it is because the people living there no longer want to live in that property. If the people living there move out but nobody buys it, it will remain vacant, thus reducing the housing supply.

An owner occupier has exactly the same ability as an investor to buy that house. It is entirely up to the vendor who they choose to sell the property to - it has nothing to do with whether the purchaser is an investor or an owner occupier.

Indeed, an investor is less likely to buy a house that is in demand by owner occupiers because the OO doesn't need to show a return on their investment and the investor isn't likely to pay more than it's worth and drive up the price.

If there were no other houses the owner occupier could choose to buy, then they wouldn't have a choice. But there always are. Vacancy rates are not zero. There are always houses coming onto the market as people choose to sell. If an investor buys this house, the owner occupier can buy another.

There are also always new dwellings being built - even in existing suburbs, infill development increases the supply of dwellings. Investors buying existing houses does not preclude an owner occupier from also buying a house.

You seem to making the assumption that every renter is just an owner occupier who cannot afford to buy a property because of the property investors. There are lots of people out there who could never afford to buy their own house - or choose not to take on debt, and would prefer the flexibility of renting.

I'm a case in point. When we first moved to Sydney for work just over 20 years ago, we kept our PPOR back in Adelaide as an investment property, but we didn't know how long we were going to be living here or where were wanted to live long term, or when we were going to start a family - and so we chose to rent rather than buy so that we had flexibility. Then, post-GFC we were not able to buy because our financial situation would no longer allow it (plus our working situation changed). We had a need to rent - and so we had a need for a rental property. If there were no rental properties available (and there are very few suitable properties in this area), we would have to move - possibly quite a distance from where we prefer to live (close to work, school, etc).

So it's not valid to assume that everyone who currently rents is in a position to buy or even wants to buy. We need rental properties and investors provide those to the market.

If nobody wanted to rent the properties that investors made available, they wouldn't be good investments and no investor would buy them (or wouldn't hold them for long!).

Again, if you are of the belief that investors are stealing properties from owner occupiers, then this is not the site for you - please leave.

12. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

Your statement:
    "Indeed, an investor is less likely to buy a house that is in demand by owner occupiers because the OO doesn't need to show a return on their investment and the investor isn't likely to pay more than it's worth and drive up the price."
    Doesn't ring true so much for the first home buyer demographic. Given the lower levels of cash there is often a much larger spectrum of competition in this sector. Right now the FHB's are coming back however the past 10 years have seen them struggle to compete.

Last edited: 6th Apr, 2020
    Brickbybrick likes this.
  13. Woodjda

Exactly. Speak to any decent number of under 40s and your realise a huge number have given up on any hope of buying a house because of the cost. They rent off investors who are getting tax breaks from the government. This type of investing does absolutely nothing to address supply-demand issues so does nothing to reduce rents.

14. Simon Hampel

In a booming market, there is a lot of competition from everyone. It's not just investors.

The fact that another owner occupier bought a property and a FHB missed out does not mean that the OO is stealing the property and not making it available to purchase. Neither does it mean that the investor is stealing it. There are plenty of other properties to buy and new ones being built all the time.

15. Simon Hampel

So why haven't you bought an investment property to get the same tax breaks from the government?

lettert and Gill Bates like this.
  16. Woodjda

They aren't stealing they're buying them at higher prices than many owner occupiers can afford. And getting government tax breaks to do that. Owner occupiers can't tax deduct they're interest and expenses.

And I'm so sorry that you can't handle a single person disagreeing with your opinion and need an echo chamber of confirmation. I didn't realise this forum was just a shrine to negative gearing.

Gabbaking, Brickbybrick and Edd like this.
  17. Woodjda

1. I'm 31 so by the time I'd finished my studies and got together savings (~2017) prices were already insane.
    2. Deliberately running an investment at a loss isn't smart in my opinion. When the underlying asset is at historically high prices it's downright insane.
    3. I try not to be a hypocrite.
    4. There were and are many far better investments out there and so I invested my savings in them (mainly overseas shares) instead and have done far better than an investment property would've done in that time.

18. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    https://www.westpac.com.au/docs/pdf/aw/economics-research/WestpacWeekly.pdf

Westpac are predicting unemployment to reach 11.1%.

"Using this analysis we estimate that there will be 814k in job losses in the June quarter lifting the unemployment rate to 11.1%. Working through our GDP estimates on an industry basis and acknowledging that output is not always aligned with employment this approach points to a contraction in GDP of 3.5% in the June quarter".

It's hard to see how property is immune to a downturn in this scenario. Migration will also be much lower for the next 6 months at least (if not a couple of years).

Brickbybrick, Woodjda and Player like this.
  19. Woodjda

Yep. The real worry is that looks optimistic. USA had 10 million new unemployment claims in 2 weeks so they've already hit 10% unemployment and it's still rising fast. Our government payments should help keep some people employed but I don't see how unemployment doesn't go over 15% at least for a brief period.

Erida and 2FAST4U like this.
  20. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

yeah its a weird situation. You might be "employed" if you are stood down and are on JobKeeper payments but what does that mean for how you view yourself and plan for the next 6-12months? Some probably see it as temporary but there would also be those who see their employer on life support and no job to come back to. How you turn JobKeeper off and not have a spike in the unemployment rate I have no idea.