COVID-19 impact on essential goods

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 7th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Tried to put an online order in for Woolies online this afternoon - no delivery slots available until Friday next week - can't put any orders in beyond that, so it's not as if we can pre-order for the following week.

Headed to our local Woolworths to get some essentials - there was still a bit of paper towel and toilet paper, but almost no meat, and very few fresh fruit and vegetables. Some other random items were also completely out of stock.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

In Tassie, I haven’t noticed empty supermarket shelves.

3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

We ordered online Woolworths late yesterday and are wondering how many substitutions we will get. It is our first order since the weekend before Christmas. Our delivery is next Monday. We buy meat from a local butcher and bought meat yesterday with no problem. Have just got home from local Harris Farm and I think there were more staff than customers. Plenty of fresh fruit and veg but I did notice their other lines - meat, deli, bakery etc were down. I'm in Newcastle

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Presently in Goondiwindi, local Coles had some empty shelves but had most basics even if not the full range.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I was forced out yesterday because we'd run out of toilet paper. The local Woollies had nothing. Not much meat, not much veggies. Bought a block of cheese & got out of there. Butchers had plenty of meat, so grabbed some & Fruit Shop had veggies, so grabbed some of them as well. Still didn't solve the toilet paper issue though. There's a small independent supermarket close by & they had a few large packs, so got the largest they had & scurried home.

Lizzie likes this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ok, ventured down to woolies and aldi. Happy to report shelves quite full, aldi still has dunny paper. Plenty of flour and pasta.

The Y-man

Observer likes this.
  7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

So they haven't yet loaded up the six B doubles I sent for the goods I ordered from them.

Scott No Mates and kierank like this.
  8. The Y-man

Oh I forgot - Aldi also had a bogan shopper standing right behind me in the checkout queue. Lucky she was masked.

The Y-man

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They were stuck behind my 2 road trains :p

You can't hoard your Shiraz & drink it :confused:

SatayKing and kierank like this.
  10. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Staff Shortages? just do what my local Coles has done - replaced 6 out of 8 checkouts to self serve in the last week leaving only 3 checkouts with staff.

11. The Y-man

Ok local woolies expedition this morning - meat rack empty, but some roast pork left.
    Toilet paper - ALL GONE!

Otherwise looked normal.

The Y-man

12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Put an in an online order yesterday. On it's way today.

And before Christmas placed an order for N95 masks which have been received. Heard there is now a shortage of those in some areas.

13. The Y-man

Went to the local aldi - they are operating restricted hours 10am-6pm instead of normal 9am-8pm... due to staff shortage I assume?

The Y-man

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Also they have a stuff shortage.

Gockie and The Y-man like this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We both received negative covid results this morning so back into the real world.
    The online shop on Monday was an awful experience, it took longer than waiting in a queue for a covid test. It took an hour to open an account with woollies, go through and select items from its in stock range, and then end up with only one quarter of what I ordered when I went to collect it the next day (car boot service was good). Sorry, wrong thread. Third world problem I know.

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2022
    kierank and Lizzie like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I tried twice and the process was awful - I did my lengthy "shop" and then tried to book a delivery time ... nothing available, not even for click and collect ... easier just to pick a quite time, race to the supermarket, in and out in 15 minutes ...

17. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yes, always check delivery slots first.

I was able to do a click-and-collect this week (my first time) - went pretty smoothly. I've given up on deliveries for now - no slots available in a reasonable timeframe.

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'm in Heaven ALdi 1.jpg Aldi 2.jpg

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Just back from my full shop at the supermarket (Coles) and was pleasantly surprised after seeing the "horror" stories on the news.

Yep - not a skerrick of toilet paper but that was about it. Some lines of cheese were out but one simply bought a different brand, had to get dried garlic instead of minced and pre-packaged chicken breasts were hard to come by (I scored the last 2 pack), but was lots of chicken in other forms ... other than that ... lotsa fruit and vege and meat and dairy. Everything was hunky dory and I left with all I wanted.

Even better - barely a soul in the joint

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2022