NSW Covid 19 - how would you handle this issue?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Acidaus, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Take the 700 or go for bond and relist?

1. Take 700 a week and revisit

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Go for bond and relist property hoping to get new tenant

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Hard to say. We consider up to about 40% is affordable without external considerations like pets, kids and other expenses (in which case you'd reduce to 30%, which is the ideal figure used in normal times). If you had two people on $500wk centrelink (I believe it'll be a little more, but lets leave it there for now), then approximately $400wk should be totally reasonable, three people $600wk, etc etc.

I absolutely agree with you as well- people already receiving welfare payments would have to have some especially extenuating circumstances to justify a reduction, ESPECIALLY if they're getting the covid windfall payments.

My belief is that our government is largely doing a great job, but I do agree that there are some odd holes in the social welfare policies. People who are already surviving perfectly fine on welfare without work are getting significantly more money, whilst others who have high income and expenses wont be able to survive on the "universal income". Other countries are assessing individually and offering things like 80% of your usual wage, but there are pros and cons to every option.

2. Acidaus

Acidaus Member

Hi Mel, we ended up dropping the rent and even so the tenant has decided to vacate they are handing in the keys today. Current PM is LJ Hooker double bay (previously with lj levi bondi before it was acquired). we are getting the bond. i've been pretty unhappy with the way the PM has been communicating with us to say the least and the entire time they refused to show us any of the correspondance with the tenant despite repeated requests . Now we are stuck with a vacant property and i'm not sure they are going to be able to rent it out in any reasonable time frame. How are you going putting tenants into properties in bondi area at the moment? we are being asked to relist the property now but I might use this opportunity to change PM. Is there a reason why we should join you or someone like you? do you have any recommendation?

3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Hi, I have sent you a PM. Basically we are boutique and agile, I focus on communication and strategy. Give me a call for a chat :) Happy to pick up the keys today and start marketing.

4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Related parties? We've had that on here before! If you request communications with the tenant, the PM should definitely provide those!

On a more encouraging note, I had no problems renting out one of my properties (though in a much lower socio economic area).