COVID-19: helping out locally

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by Scott No Mates, 21st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No better spot than here to kick off a thread.

With many people in the community self-isolating eg oldies, infirm, those with depressed immune systems etc what are you doing for your neighbours?

Have you noticed the little old lady down the road hasn't been out walking their dog? Do you know where they live?

Not everyone has been able to get what they need from the shops but they may be a little short.

Pop over with a gift pack of TP, long life milk, tea/coffee, tissues, a few tomatoes/cues, juice etc.

We've done this for a few grateful neighbours this week. Feels so much better than fighting for supplies.

The Y-man, datto, craigc and 4 others like this.
  2. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Same here. Taken a few elderly neighbours shopping and also shopped for them. We also have adopted a senior many years ago.....actually she's still 95 :D living at home alone. She has a cracker mentality and mindset. I guess that's why she's endured

Islay likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not locally but we'll pick up TP for friends who have missed out due to being at works etc.... we bring them much "relief"....

The Y-man

4. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Wow this is nearly 6 months later! I should have posted here months ago, but in May I started doing a weekly shift in feeding the homeless via the local Exodus foundation here in Sydney. It's been wonderful and I've kept it up since (did a shift today actually).

During the winter months and covid with social distancing and wearing the PPE etc.; the volumes were lower each day, but sadly as both the weather warms; covid health impact reduces; and government $$$ support reductions start to kick in; the true economic impact is starting to reveal itself. This has a flow on effect to those already in hardship and living on the street, but also to those on the borderline of slipping into a life on the streets etc.

The daily numbers (this organisation has been offering 3 meals a day, for over 30 years, and has never missed a day..); are now starting to ramp up again. Which is both a bad and a good thing.

Bad in terms of it suggests more people are destitute and seeking food and other basic support services. Good in the sense that more people are aware that there are places and organisations like this one where they can go to get a helping hand.

The few hours a week I do here, always leave me walking away with 1000% more 'sense of achievement/purpose' than the 40+ hours a week that I kick in to my PAYG corporate job.

Joynz, Gockie, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Wow didn't know this thread existed till now.

I think the govt should be more understanding for the Druitt and distribute free orchy drinks at the station.

The sharing of the orchy bottle must be a covid spreading source. If each had the own all the safer.

6. Scott No Mates

There are free hoses available in most front yards. No need for a govt subsidy. :oops:

datto likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

OK but what about that small brass cone shaped nick nack? lol

8. Scott No Mates

Knock off one of nanna's thimbles.

datto likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This post tonight reminded me of something that happened a couple of months ago, when our neighbour volunteered my husband to help a lady nearby, so I went looking and here is a screenshot...

Image 3-9-20 at 9.39 pm.jpg

Millie likes this.