COVID-19: Australia vs the rest of the world

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by MTR, 28th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they just have fewer recalcitrants....

The Y-man

From abc.net.au:
    Parklands Christian College, south of Brisbane, has been closed after a female employee and her travel companion both tested positive after returning from interstate on July 21.

Ms Palaszczuk said there would be a "thorough police investigation" into how the two 19-year-old women returned to Queensland after visiting hotspots.

"I'm absolutely furious that this has happened. That these two people have gone to Victoria, have come back and have given misleading information to authorities," she said.

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Are we still doing reasonably well?

[​IMG]

Yes.
    Heat map of cases on a proportional level

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

They flew Vic- Sydney- Qld.... so I suspect loads of NSW residents could have been infected during some of their journey.... hope not. Wonder how many passengers these flights have? I'd say the passengers coming out or in to Melbourne need to be minimised per flight. Everywhere else in Aus I am not worried about. It's only Victoria.

kierank likes this.
  4. The Y-man

I have people in Taiwan.

They hard closed borders very early on - pretty much as soon as Wuhan hit the news, they were shutting down borders - including preventing their own people returning from the mainland.

Pretty much everyone wore masks and maintained social distancing - I certainly don't recall any news about anti-maskers.

The Y-man

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

of course, youd have to be pretty naive or a antimasker to believe every stat from some of these asian countries who have corruption, questionable infrastructure, questionable reporting methods etc. etc

Indonesia boasting they had zero cases for the first month or so when bali is a tourist hotspot, was absolutely laughable

eg india started off quite low figures despite their enormous population, but theyve exploded,
    whether that was due to testing, politics or environment,

Good point about laos and their life expectancy, I did not consider that,

Given that asia generally has a higher population density, their infection rates do seem awfully low so there could be other factors eg weather that maybe kept the figures down

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

:D:D

In the main Have the significant increases in cases been due to mistakes/mismanagement by our leader/s ???? I would say what the plebs are doing is obeying at least 99.9%

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

so you do human trafficking:D:D:D

The Y-man likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's rather like North Korea claiming they've got no cases - yet one (and only one) person who managed to escape over the border in recent months has tested positive.

9. The Y-man

Actually what made the news was someone getting fined for "coming out of self isolation" to answer the door when the police knocked :)

In Taiwan, you have to self-isolate in a declared area away form family etc. The guy declare he was isolating upstairs (with his own bathroom etc) and the rest of the family was downstairs.

When the police knocked, he came downstairs to answer the door.... fail....!!

People there thought it was fair enough - but here I think you would have had some people claim human right violations or something and go nuts.

The humans we allegedly trafficked over (according to @TMNT :D) found during the 14 day self-isolation, they had police calling up several times a day to "find out how you were feeling" (and probably doing a geo-location check where you were answering the call) and would do unannounced visits. If you fail to answer your phone consistently, you'll be fined.

You had to put your rubbish in secure garbage bags, separate form the rest of the household
    The city council sent special rubbish collectors in full hazmat suits who spray your garbage bag and then take it away to be high-temp incinerated (they sent us photos - was quite funny seeing these 2 fully hazmat suited people taking this tiny little rubbish bag away (food wrappers, tissues etc) - but that is how seriously they take it over there - and maybe it tells us something.

The Y-man

Lizzie and TAJ like this.
  10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

thats because their dear beloved leader cured covid, and everything else

11. The Y-man

... with a gun?

The Y-man

kierank and Lizzie like this.
  12. The Y-man

Got an issue in Danang at the moment - city is in lock down.
    Again, from what I have seen on my several visits to VN, they are a pretty compliant bunch there (we often forget there is an authoritarian gov there), and everyone wears a mask anyway in the cities in normal times.

The Y-man

Abc.net.au
    Vietnam locks down Da Nang as virus cases grow
    Vietnam has locked down its third-largest city, Da Nang, for two weeks after at least 15 cases of COVID-19 were found in a hospital.

The country is back on high alert after authorities confirmed the first community infections since April in and around Da Nang.

A further 11 cases linked to a Da Nang hospital were reported late on Monday local time.

Two of the Da Nang cases were in critical condition, Vietnam's health ministry said.

Public transport into and out of the central city were cancelled and all flights to and from were suspended for 15 days.

Authorities estimated several thousand people would be stranded by the transportation shutdown and asked hotels to shelter them.

Vietnam is still closed to foreign tourism, but there had been a surge in domestic travellers looking to take advantage of discounted flights and holiday packages to local resorts.

With the new infections, Vietnam has reported 431 cases of COVID-19 without a death.

13. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Our response has been pretty good, but lets be honest, we have had it very very easy in comparison to some. The bushfires really did stop a lot of overseas travellers and we had a lot of time to think about what to do. Very easy to shut off our boarders being an island. It also hit in summer which some people do and some people don't believe effects the strength of the virus.
    I'm not so sure we have been as clever as some economically but we have been ok.
    I'm saddened by the lack of attention to the aged care homes and I have been vocal about this now for months. At least better late than never it seems as though our governments are finally going to do something about it. As I have said before hundreds of billions being thrown around but the folk who need it the most, the people who built us the country, won us wars , nothing, not even enough PPE to go around for the staff. Pretty pathetic and dissapointing and just plain out dumb. We had so much warning that this would happen in aged care homes yet we did ziltch.

MTR and kierank like this.
  14. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

This is something that I believe most western countries have had huge difficulty with - keeping the virus out of aged care facilities.

Now that I think about it - I've wondered why some countries (Qatar / Bahrain / Oman / Singapore) have such low death rates even in the face of very high infection rates.

I think part of it might be the demographics of the country - I know that the bulk of the infections in Singapore are from foreign workers living in dormitory style housing, but these people will be generally younger and thus less susceptible to dying from the virus.

... I just looked it up:

Qatar has only 1% of the population over the age of 65, and only 4.4% over the age of 55 - so that would explain the low number of deaths there.

Bahrain has 2.5% of the population over the age of 65, and Oman only 1.5%.

This is compared to Australia with 16.4% of the population over the age of 65!

So the very young population will go a long way towards explaining the very low death rates in those countries.

But I also wonder whether there is a fundamental difference in how they manage their aged compared to European based cultures like ours and other similar countries?

TAJ, Propagate and Casteller like this.
  16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

68245F73-4EE7-4476-A1C9-1172A21F8325.png FB287CDA-05FD-48A6-8E33-75012118EA53.png
    I see a significant drop in Travel growth Dec 2019 vs. Dec 2018.
    4.3% increase Dec 2018 vs. only 1.8% Dec 2019.

17. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

And Spain has 19% over the age of 65, and with Italy in the top 5 lifespan expectancies, probably making them more vulnerable. 40% of deaths were in care homes, over 11,000 people.

TAJ and Simon Hampel like this.
  18. Property Baron

A lot of the Asian countries also have a whole different outlook on how to open up there economys whilst living with the virus.

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Many countries have large extended families. Older people tend to live with their extended families - living in a facility is much rarer.

TMNT likes this.
  20. Property Baron

I will admit I assumed there would have been less overseas tourist during the bushfires but if I'm wrong I'm wrong. Common sense seemed to tell me there would be less. I wouldn't have travelled if it were me while the place was burning down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.