Council permit to build on vacant land

Discussion in 'Development' started by Abhi, 11th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Abhi

Abhi Member

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to buy an acerage/horse property and I am currently looking at buying a vacant land and build a house on it or buy a property with an existing house on it. I am looking to do this in eastern or south eastern suburbs of Melbourne e.g. in Yarra Valley or Dandenong ranges.

I'd really prefer to go the way of building a home on a vacant piece of land if it really works. Can anyone please help me with the following questions -
    1. how long does it take to get the building permit from the council approx on a 20+ acre piece of land? I want to build a house + covered arena + stables
    2. How much would it cost? I am assuming I'll have to get a feaso, design done from an Architect and town planner report? so is it upwards of $15K or even $30K ?
    3. Do I need to get a feasibility study before making an offer? Or is it a conditional offer subject to (feasibility/council approval?)?
    4. What should I look for while buying the land - as in electricity connection, water connection, gas connection, sewage connection? If none of these is connected for the land, how much am I looking at spending on development of the land and getting electricity/ gas/ water/ sewage connected before I can start building?

This the first time ever that I'll be building a house. Do you think its doable for a newbie or is it a major risk? I am thinking of contracting a big builder for construction. Its just the pre-construction "everything" that I am unsure about.

Many thanks for the help!

Cheers,
    Abhi

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

If buying a block, all services should be available (usually). Perhaps even connected.
    Talk to estate agents in selected areas, or realestate.com - search for land.
    Check the zoning etc. If a house can be put on the land the zoning should tell you, as well as the section 32.
    You shouldn't necessarily need a feasibility study. It can either happen, or it can't
    If planning approval is not required - go to an Architect have your plans prepared, to a bugdet. These can then be costed by builders through the tender process.
    You can get the architect or the builder to arrange to the building permit/approval as part of their package
    Get good PROFESSIONAL advice - it will make the process so much easier

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Go to somewhere like archicentre to be put in touch with like minded archiects who can provide you with the right advice before you make an offer. No point being locked into a $X million contract without the knowledge that a DA is even achievable nor how much it will cost.

4. Abhi

Abhi Member

Thanks so much for the advise @Scott No Mates and @Planning Professionals . I really appreciate it.

I totally agree, a professional advise will make a lot of difference. Hence since I don't know much about rural properties I've decided to use a buyer's agent who'll make sure that the utilities are there and source the right properties in the right zoning.

Once I have the property infront of me I'll consult the architect to cross check the assumptions before making the offer. Thanks for referring archicenter! looks like a very useful resource fro me. I'll get in touch with them right away!

Cheers
    Abhi

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

If a block is available, of around the size you're looking for it shouldn't be too difficult. Also - consider the contract of sale, make sure that you can purchase/make an offer which is conditional and gives you options for withdrawing if things don't work thought as you wish. Good luck

6. Abhi

Abhi Member

Thanks mate :)