Council charging investors more.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by John Fish, 6th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

What risk @wylie @David Shih ? It is a complete rip off, a total joke, it is maybe the councils taking the risk until someone with the funds and the bone decides to take it too court.

They should be offering a discount !

Rotten *******s in QLD are ripping even the OOs blind, and hey sus, they charge the most for water when they have so much.....

Only thing good about QLD is the warmer weather in some parts, otherwise, you can keep it all.

Last edited by a moderator: 20th May, 2019
    Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

This did get some legs a few years ago with some industry support but didn't go anywhere unfortunately. From memory I think a guy in Mackay might have taken the council to court over it but I can't recall the outcome.

BCC it seems when you nominate a different address to the address of the property (even a PO Box) it triggers a letter asking you to confirm the status of the property. I'm not sure how much further they dig.

- Luke

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I wonder what extra services a tenanted property requires as opposed to an owner occupied property ?

4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I think we're all asking the wrong questions here. The golden question is- what are the penalties for not properly disclosing the investment status of the property. Are there any fines, or will someone from council eventually just call you to say they know what you're up to?

Scott No Mates and wylie like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

More callouts for the ranger policing rubbish issues, noise complaints, parking etc than they would for O/O properties.

6. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Narh I don't buy that, just another tax rort because they can. I've yet to hear a legitimate reason to justify the increase.

craigc, New Town, The Gambler and 2 others like this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Sure @Scott No Mates I can see the reasoning

Having said that, I have to agree with @Michael Mitchell

Unless it is a unit complex (which suffer the naturestrip dumping issue regardless)
    Most any house/ home/ single lot property is more often occupied by persons that actually can afford the rent (and in turn "care" about the locality *).

* there are/will be those that play the system, but the majority are sensible ;)
    The majority live in an area for a reason, not just because they can afford it :p
    It consistently is the few that cost the majority :mad:

This is a clear example of council using any excuse to profiteer o_O

(Yes I have been looking in the area, this is an example of why due diligence is reqd with every purchase :cool: ).

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Of course it is - there's nothing in the legislation stopping them from charging extra.

Stoffo likes this.
  9. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I have quite few which they even send me a letter about it when settlement occurred. How they do it I really don't care...that's out of my control. I tend to concentrate on what I can control.
    I presume they were bought under company trustee name not an individual...or as others have suggested above.
    Just pay what is required and see it as a cost of doing property business. Whether it is fair is another discussion...such like that they never CPI land tax thresholds too! Economics of governments something out of my control, always happened and always will change, so just don't worry about the details look at the large or larger picture in the long term instead, at least that's what I learned to do....;)

10. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

How is this even legal under the current council laws?

11. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

BS.

12. dabbler

Yeah, I asked too, what risk ?

Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.
  13. dabbler

Nevermind that when you have others money to fund legal battles....

I too think it must be at least close too bordering illegal, it is not just. Top end of town.

14. dabbler

Well, yeah, that is what everyone does, but, that does not mean you have to like it, ignore it or think it is just something to swallow, never to be talked about on PC forum :)

It is not about fair.

I suppose with your logic you go to McDonalds or whatever, and a 25 dollar meal you do not expect the 5 back from 30 cause you have money to buy take out, or get your car serviced and it comes to 250 but your ok with them saying we have taken 270 cause your car is too expensive for you too own...

I pay it, I also pay fees in areas where they have now brought in a minimum rate to snag more people, I do not like such things because they are a govt body and there to provide services, not to act like a private for profit company, which is how many govt depts now think they should run, it is a disrespect, not the few dollars. But many govt bodies and "servants" have lost the plot I guess.

What if no one says anything and some body or bodies take more, and it hits another 5, 10 or 20k a year, just a cost of doing business ? Many QLD areas are already double in costs compared to many places in NSW.

15. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I agree it is not fair, I agree we should voice it, all I said is that currently if I have no choice about it I too need to pay it. If you plan to start a partition and activate such a plan I am sure most property investors would sign it.
    Life is unfair in many circumstances whether we like it or not. What I mean by not worrying so much about it is that I try and direct my time instead to things I can control or at least how to get ahead instead. You can invest in other states where this doesn't apply or land tax is CPIed, etc....
    We will have to make constantly choices, whether to dwell on things out of our control or whether we can do something about it. So I look at it this way if I have 24 hours in a day, I cannot change the wind that is currently blowing, all I can change in such situation is my set of sails....

16. dabbler

lol...

Gee there is a lot of people who seem to not be able to grasp many things on this forum lately.

It has jack **** to do with fair.

We are talking about legality....

Do you grok that now ?

Are you a councillor or something.....lol

17. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Apologies if I am slow and I am not a Councillor or something, just a person, far from it, so if it is not legal what can we do about it now?

18. dabbler

We can create a facebook page, youtube channel and instagram, first one to get 500 subscribers we can smash these unfair councils by sending them the link....

19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I don' have facebook or instagram, but could access youtube channel I assume...?
    We can make lots of noise but I doubt if this will help, 500 maybe a bit low...!
    Could start a petition on Change.Org as modeled on the one below?
    Sign the Petition

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.