Council charging investors more.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by John Fish, 6th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Fish

John Fish Active Member

Hi Guys,

Wasn’t sure where to post this....

There are a handful of qld councils charging additional rates to investors simply because they are investment properties.

Does anyone know how they identify the property is rented? I have a property that is privately rented and the only things I can think of is that the postal address is elsewhere and maybe they cross check drivers licence?

Does anyone know if I simply change the postal address to the property they will adjust the rates as owner occ?

Cheers

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why would you take the risk?

Are you claiming the interest against your income? Are you adding the rent to your income?

3. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

I can't remember what the extra surcharge is for investor, but I tend to agree with @wylie it's probably not worth the risk as you could be up for a fine if they find out.

It all comes down to part of cost of property investing and should be factored in during the initial cashflow projection so this won't come in as a surprise. Personally, I would suggest to focus on bigger things than trying to figure out how to workaround the council and save couple of hundred dollars here.

Cheers,
    David

Danny370z likes this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Easiest way for the council to determine if it's an investment or owner occupied is to look at where they're sending the rates notices.

The second easiest way is to look at the electoral role to see where you're registered to vote.

5. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

Why oh why is everyone going after property investors??? :mad::mad::mad: I must admit I have never heard of councils charging additional rates for investments!

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I know that the Gold Coast City Council does for one.

ChrisDim likes this.
  7. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

How much more though? is it like double the cost for investors vs the owner occupiers?

8. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

Dont think it happens in victoria

ChrisDim likes this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

TBH, I can’t remember.

When we got our first Rates Notice back in 2016, I noticed that our Rate Category was different to that of the vendor. I phoned the GCCC and they advised that the vendor was living in the property and we were renting it out.

I calculated how much more we were paying. It wasn’t double but it was large enough for me to put a reminder in my diary to change the Category next year when we move in and make it our home :D.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Propertunity and ChrisDim like this.
  11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

So, whilst you were still getting a tax deduction on the excessive amount of rates, the Gold Coast City Council were still charging a heap extra because you were an investor, they were basically appropriating the deduction of the amount of tax that you would have got back, had the rates amount been the same as an owner occupier?

That is both creatively innovative and malevolently devious at the same time.

12. Property person

Property person Well-Known Member

Canberra ACT government (no councils here) - also charge more for investment properties...

13. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Moreton Bay Council charges investors 25% more than OO.

14. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

It's something like 20% extra in BCC area.. they are also getting very aggressive at assessing the land value at 90% of the property value to squeeze out extra money as well.

All so they can continue blow all their money on stupid things like back slapping marketing campaigns based on "look how good we are" through to pointless "rapid response" council cars. BCC must be one of the highest funded councils in Australia :rolleyes:

15. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

I cannot find an old thread on this, but a couple of years ago when BCC started to charge investors more for rates (a real disincentive for property investors), Margaret Lomas and others did an (unsuccessful) petition.

16. Marcus Stacey

Marcus Stacey New Member

Thanks for the news , will look into my council charges

What area you talking about, QLD/NSW

I was just looking at an area in Wellingotn New Zealand, these rates were 2-*3 times of what I'm charged in Brisbane city!!!!

Anybody know what the tweed shire is doing with these charges etc, looking for land in the area

Last edited by a moderator: 17th May, 2019
  17. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

From what I've gathered, they don't actively look/search. It is up to the property owner to notify council. In one example, I heard a disgruntled Tenant saw a copy of the rates notice which was sent to the property address by mistake, had the wrong designation on it, the Tenant called and reported to council that it was a rental property and not owner-occupied, to try and snub the owner with a few more $ dollars on the rates bill, BCC took no action even when having that information given to them.

18. Fernfurn

Fernfurn Well-Known Member

I think the re has to notify them as we got a rate change immediately we listed it with an agent.

19. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I just found this old article about it: The Queensland councils charging higher rates for investors

I never realised this was the case in so many QLD councils! Looked at my rates notices and its very sneaky how it just has a Category number, and you have to look up the categories online to determine if its an owner occupied or otherwise rate.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  20. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Surely in this age of data matching council could easily see which properties you have listed as rentals with OSR/ATO. I have a vague memory when we moved out of our last PPOR it didn’t take long for council to change the category despite me never advising them of the change

Michael Mitchell likes this.