Council building road on neighbor's property

Discussion in 'Development' started by Leslie, 10th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Friends
    I would like to get some opinion about my situation. I have a property in Perth zoned R80. Land size is 50 m x 20 m with existing road on the 20 m side. Now the council has bought the property next door and are constructing a side road along the 50 M side of my property. Then my property will become corner property which I think is good.
    But my question is there any other issues that I need to consider? Two years ago, I was planning to construct a private driveway along the 50 m side and subdivide the Lot to 4 or 5 lots. But stopped it after I came to know about this road proposal.

Did anyone else had this experience before? Would welcome all the suggestions and ideas. Thanks in advance.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm thinking you've just saved yourself the cost of constructing a private driveway.

Marg4000 and Archaon like this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's a fairly unique situation, do you know why they are building a new road?

Generally yes a corner block is good because it gives you the ability to create some street front lots.

The potential downside, without knowing more information, is that is may constrict where you can place driveways

Leslie and Archaon like this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You could ask for a new fence .....
    How did you know about it prior ?
    Should have snuck some double gates in early on, so they might put in a driveway entry to the kerb :D

Leslie and Archaon like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Though I don’t think council has to pay for a bordering fence!

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If one was to claim increased noise due to this change they may install a higher fence
    (just thinking sound barrier due to increased noise)

7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

just out of interest,
    who owned the land previously, or was it already a dedicated road reserve but the road was never constructed (ie: paper road)
    there are a few ways in which a road can be dedicated - gazettal is one.
    or is there a new subdivision and the road lot is to be dedicated via registration.

either way it sounds like it could be a 50m frontage for you, which could (?) allow some options for you.

Leslie likes this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Council were intending on turning one of my properties into a road which I opposed and I'm sure my back neighbour would have also as she'd done a large extension overlooking the river. They decided not to go ahead with it.

Leslie likes this.
  9. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Originally the road was supposed to go at number 6, but last year the council bought the block at number 8 and changed the road here. Mine is number 10.

10. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

I have a gate in the fence as the tenants in both houses were friends!. I could ask the council to put up the fence at their own cost as now it is a safety risk for my property. Thanks for suggestions.

11. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

If the road is coming soon, get a permit in for the subdivision of your property. Then chat to council and the service authorities to see if they can put in the new crossings and services connections for your new lots. I was talking to a guy in vic a few weeks ago who did the above, although there was a small widening into his land so he had some barginning power.