Council Asset Protection fee hike

Discussion in 'Development' started by Keentolearn77, 21st Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

So in the space of 2 years council have doubled their asset protection fee for the building of a dwelling from $200 to $450 (infact for 3 dwellings or more development the asset protection fee is $800!!)

My understanding is this asset protection is basically for the driveway cross over & adjoining footpath / gutters.

Can anyone explain how council can gouge so much more with a 100% increase, & charging more if you are building multiple dwellings.

The cross over still is one crossover into the property, I'm not requiring multiple crossovers,

same with the bond goes up from $2000 for one dwelling to $4000 for multiple dwellings

How can they legally justify a larger slice of pie for the same service, does there need to be a royal commission here

2. Mike Sargeant

Mike Sargeant Active Member

In Victoria it was a fact that many Council Fees were too low (especially planning) so about 2 years ago the State Government increased them and went to town on it. Also introduced the Metropolitan Planing Levy to double down. They then encouraged Council's to charge 'whatever they like' on fees that aren't legislated. I have found some of these to have gone over the top. Had one eastern suburbs council try to charge a 1000% increase on a minor amendment to a dual occupancy which I objected about and had waived. II'd suggest taking it up with your Councillor and to ask the increase be justified.