Technology & Social Media Could you give up your smart phone?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 12th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hwbesqu

hwbesqu Active Member

Absolutely-if I had one. My current phone is the original blue push button Nokia-not the updated one released last year. And it's just a phone-I dont text/selfie/photograph or anything. Suits me just fine-I'd rather have my head up and look around me than be focussed and obsessing over a screen.

Blacky likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

When I'm travelling, Google Maps is indispensable, as is an Uber App in those places which have it. And it's always great to have access to information about a place in visiting.

I take a cheap smartphone with me, and buy data cards for countries I visit. It's normally not very expensive.

Though having to deal with a mod issue while on a felucca on the Nile was perhaps not the highlight of the trip.

Blacky, Sackie and inertia like this.
  3. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I find it a necessary evil as need it in order to receive on going work. I too, can recall the time when a landline was all that anyone had. The good old days...... They seem now to have become entrenched into our social fabric.
    I do take it on holidays with me but have a policy that no business calls will be taken over my break. Customers are notified beforehand.
    Side note: Annoys me when I see people talking / texting whilst driving.

4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I could have for the first 18 months but mine is now connected to a dash cam in my car and I use it to send fast claims to my health insurer. I could live without it if I had to but it would be more expensive and ugly to buy and have two screens in my car to replace my phone which means access and saving of camera data easily. I will keep mine though it appears to be floundering and may need updating soon.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Yes. It annoyed me immensely when I was sideswiped by a 4wd mirror when I was walking on the other side of the road. The driver had been trying to text and probably didn't even realise that he had almost wiped me out.

6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My husband's and daughter's phone broke in the same week. My daughter's phone was going to replace my husband's. One was just out of warranty and the other still under warranty but it took a couple of days to get an appointment with Apple. My husband borrowed my phone for three days as it's much needed for work - calls and photos. It was a hard few days! I couldn't do online banking or take photos of expenses for PM. I barely use a computer now.

7. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Wow.
    I never realized the addiction was so strong in so many people.

Yes. I use my phone a lot. And love the ease of having one device which does everything.
    However I’m also often disconnected from it.
    When I’m at home I don’t have a sim which works. Though I use WiFi. But when I leave the house the phone stays behind.
    I regularly travel and will not have connection and will need to actively find a WiFi signal to connect.
    I actively aim to take holidays where there is no signal.

I don’t run a business. So don’t need to maintain 100% connection. Yet I monitor emails and messages quite efficiently.

Blacky

8. 158

158 Well-Known Member

How many of you are reading this on a phone, with your pinky underneath, 3 middle fingers at the back, and scrolling with your thumb?

pinkboy

lightbulbmoment likes this.
  9. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Ummm....me!
    But I'm also walking with two dog leads in the other hand.
    I've had to stop to reply, the two sisters are not happy about that & I'm getting barked at by the fatter one.
    Better put the phone in the pocket.

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

It's ****ed up that most people need a phone. It's weird.

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Feb, 2018
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

what did we do before this??? Bit like google, cant live without it.

Does anyone use facetime??

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Feb, 2018
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I propogate plants, grow from seed and cuttings. I need my phone to take pictures, advertise and receive messages. Occasionally I get 20 messages in a day. I also buy through messenger. Occasionaly get calls. My friend called me on the weekend with FaceTime to show me her new plants from The Frangipani Expo. It's handy but I rarely use it.