Could it get any worse

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MTR, 1st May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Looking at it objectively, I think that the Labor policies are actually fairly reasonable and encourage new properties to be built.

shorty, euro73, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  3. LisaSimpson

LisaSimpson Member

Yup. Depressing .
    We’re crossing our fingers and toes that he doesn’t get in

MTR likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We dont need new properties to be built we have oversupply.
    That’s why markets are falling

Last edited: 1st May, 2019
    Car tart likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

On the flip side .... anyone watch high quality reporting by yes you guessed it....ACA on Steven Dickson scandal. Note attention to detail, groping 12 times... yes 12

Ben_j likes this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

The market has fallen because it's hard to get credit to buy. I'd love to expand my portfolio but can't easily raise the money.

If they build them, and there's tick, the people will come.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There was over 2 hours of footage provided by Al Jazeira which was closely scrutinised by ACA :rolleyes:.

MTR likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes credit squeeze, but how will building help? When no on can buy due to credit squeeze??

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Building won't help. Need the money. Unless perhaps the developers provide credit. Meriton Apartments used to do just that. 3 years interest only and they'd guarantee a tenant.

10. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    No it isnt.

shorty and jakc like this.
  11. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Its perhaps accurate to say fewer can buy, and it's especially accurate in the more expensive markets - but plenty can buy in cheaper markets so its not reasonable to say no one can buy . They may not be able to drive prices higher - but we should be honest enough in these debates to assess things fairly and accurately . The political bias in some of these posts stinks. It ignores facts, in favour of a political position. Prices aren't sitting above 7 x income anywhere except SYD and MEL.. That's the first thing that we should accept.

I think people should also consider that in 12-18-24 months when construction stops on most the pipeline projects that are going up now, and most major infrastructure projects are nearing completion, and unemployment has the very real potential to blow up because tradies and engineers and their suppliers have no work , people might just be grateful for some policies driving new construction... no?

Isnt it just possible that these policies and a modest relaxation of the assessment rate, and perhaps some RBA cuts which would render neg gearing almost redundant anyway ( by that I mean if you are NG reliant with a rate starting with a high 2 or low 3, I will have, nor should anyone else have - any sympathy for you. You shouldnt need propping up) , might just combine to be what the doctor ordered...???

We also know there is now a shortgage of more than 300,000 affordable rentals nation wide... so the proposal to reintroduce some form of NRAS version 2 might just be a really well timed thing. We have investors crying out for yield moreso than ever , and the NRAS version 2 is proposing to offer 15 years of tax incentives rather than the 10 available first time around, and we have a looming construction work cliff, and we have a need for the accommodation.... I dont think its a simple as - we dont need new homes. No one can afford to buy them.

Yes Im biased- I want another NRAS. But I'm also pragmatic. I understand whats coming and I am able to see how the ideas may be very well suited to the times ahead.

Think bigger everyone ...... connect some dots. :) Its only 16 days until we get to stop talking politics for another 3 years ;) :)

Last edited: 2nd May, 2019
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - and if you aren't flexible enough to withstand a change in government (the potential of which happens every three years) then perhaps you need to rethink your investment philosophy.

I agree it's not an oversupply - expect perhaps in piddly units that always oversupply and then catch up - but more a case of hard to get credit. Trust me on this. We're currently jumping thru hoops we've never even seen before, simply to get 40%lvr

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Up to a point.

But anyone thinking of buying a new build for investment certainly gets negative gearing benefits, but the minute they own the house the benefits are for them only.

What will that do to the “shiny new home” value, which immediately becomes a “pre-owned house with no ng benefits when sold” prospect?

Will the negative gearing benefits outweigh possible drop in value?

And yes, I know you are “never going to sell”. But life has a funny way of throwing curve balls that change plans when least expected. You must always consider the possibility of resale.

I can already hear the spruikers sharpening up their sales tactics.....
    Marg

craigc, ellejay, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Investment strategies need to be robust enough to be able to survive and make money regardless of who is in government. But that doesn't mean you don't vote to get the best cards dealt to you as much as possible .

And that's certainly not voting for Bad Boy Billy and his henchmen .

craigc, ellejay and kierank like this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That's only if you're selling to a stretched investor who doesn't have enough equity to ensure it's positively geared - and suspect the banks won't lend to those in any case ... the other 70% of the market is made up of owner occupiers

16. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'm not sure how Labor's policies will increase construction. I'm not aware of any policies that releases more land, or fast tracks approvals, makes it easier to subdivide, etc. Developers are also having trouble accessing credit, there's nothing that makes credit easier for them.

There's actually no evidence that the first home buyers grants being restricted to new properties actually caused more new properties to be built. Why would this be any different?

What they have proposed will increase demand for new properties which without increased supply, will increase prices for new properties. Longer term the developers will increase profits which might mean that a few might take on more projects, but that knock on effect is very speculative and would take years to realise.

I can cope with cancelling negative gearing against personal income, but leaving a loophole for new properties is bad economics. It puts investors in direct competition with those who Labor says they want to help - the first home buyers.

From what I can see the Labor tax policies are designed to reduce tax benefits to the wealthy and I think they achieve that. They also reduce tax benefits to the middle class that are trying to get ahead including the middle class self funded retirees. The policies certainly are attractive to low income or those that aren't thinking of their financial future, but they are hurting almost anyone with financial aspirations.

17. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

I wish there was a political party that catered to the centre.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

As far as I can see and according to recent data practically all Property markets in Oz are falling or flat??? Nasty stuff
    Canberra holding its own

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thats why I say, why create wealth when Labor is aligned to those that are not interested in their financial future. Perhaps just jump on the gravey train

ellejay and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  20. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I wish there was a political party that catered to the 'reasonable person' benchmark. Unfortunately these days reasonable people are a minority group that nobody cares about.

Lizzie likes this.