QLD Could Brisbane Take Over As The Best Performing Capital City Housing Market In 5 Years?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Taku Ekanayake, 4th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Northboy

Northboy Well-Known Member

I keep an eye on Kallangur as that’s where one of my IP’s are located. I’ve noticed that even in the relatively short time I’ve owned, more and more older (1960s/70s/80s-ish) highsets are coming to the market beautifully renovated and modernised inside and out. It seemed to be a lot more untouched stuff being listed before. Would think this is a reasonable sign.

I’ve also anecdotally spoken to so many people who are actively looking to make the move to QLD - the weather, lifestyle and house prices being the key reasons.

Patrick Bateman and Whitecat like this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Mmm...no .....they are tapped out...

See post above...but it will repeat again....

3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Just did a quick check on what had happened to the other notorious area of unit over supply , namely Docklands .

Basically it appears to have gone sideways .

So a significant oversupply in units in that area doesn't seem to have dampened the more widespread boom that's occurred in Melbourne.

Somewhat reassuring in terms of the impact the central oversupply of units in Brisbane.

Cliff

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think units oversupply will matter much to the in-demand markets/dwellings of Brissy. At the end of the day, OO don't care if there are hundreds of units in X suburb that are becoming cheap because they don't want a unit, they want a home in Y suburb where the supply is short and the demand is strong.

Whitecat, Luca and Angel like this.
  5. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

There was a stat bouncing around in '17 that if all the approved appts in BNE at that time were built that would represent 25% of the total appts ie new plus existing- seemed a ridiculous claim at the time but not a stat I closely follow...

6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah.. different buyer pools of apartments vs houses. I wouldn't expect there to be much of a relationship. Some yes, but not significant.
    Melbourne is good evidence as you pointed out - docklands/southbank wtx unit oversupply and it's influence (limited) on nearby house and maybe townhouse markets in Melbourne.

7. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

8. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

So where would you tie your money (say half a mil or less) if you were to invest today? Syd and Mel are peaked up.. Adelaide is super slow.. Perth is unpredictable yet. What's left if one considers only capital cities? Would you recommend Regionals in that case?

9. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

What makes you say they are tapped Out

10. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

There is talk of making lending easier but not sure when they will do that

11. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

If you had more money, I would invest it in a good buy in Sydney or somewhere in Melbourne.

Half a mil? whats the rush to buy anything? stay liquid and look for a good buy anywhere. If you had someone twisting your arm to spend your half a mil, I would say Hobart or some of the regional NSW.

virhlpool likes this.
  12. Whitecat

I would think that regional New South Wales would really just take spillover from Sydney so unless there's some particular project or some particular reason why a regional area is going to move then I would put regional areas in the same boat as Sydney having just finished a big boom. I don't know the New South Wales market as much as the Queensland market so happy to hear what your thoughts are on why New South Wales regionals.
    Hobart is a different story it's its own state capitol and more detached from the Sydney market

13. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

Regional NSW and not Regional VIC instead? Regional NSW appears to be at its peak vs Geelong, Ballarat and so on. I have been considering regionals in general but my biggest fear is that they have never given capital city like growth in the past, hard to believe they will ever give.

Happy to stay liquid honestly, but Syd/Mel will take a long time to bounce back and that's a long time to stay liquid without any investment. :(

14. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I would say more product type as opposed to location.

15. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

that's right even now looking at deals in melb which can generate 500-600K return on a 2 mil invest. (buy and build). stacks up.25% plus

16. See Change

Hobart .... now , middle outer rings

Cliff

Sackie likes this.
  17. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

What do you regard as Hobart outer ring?

18. See Change

Passed the middle ring ... :eek:

I only really watch the New Town , Moonah side . I'm not sure what locals would classify as inner , middle , outer , but I'd think New Town is inner , Middle would be Moonah . Don't know whether Glenorchy would fit in the middle or be the start of the outer , though it doesn't really matter .

We bought in Claremont later last year , but we were looking for high 2's rather than 300's , other wise we might have bought closer in . Paid 267 ( I think ) and renting for 340 . Looks like it's gone up around 10-20 k in last six months

Cliff

19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Because they can't move money out...and banks in Australia do not want to lend to non-permanent residents...

20. Whitecat

I see those is quite temporary things particularily them moving money out there's so many ways to get around that.

Patrick Bateman likes this.