Could age hold me back?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Nathan Simon, 2nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MrsNixba

MrsNixba Well-Known Member

Datto, I have no idea how funny / entertaining you intended to be, but I am actually laughing aloud at my desk! Thank you for that!

Nathan Simon likes this.
  2. SonOfTrigger

SonOfTrigger Well-Known Member

I'll be a little realistic here and say it's time to slow down - you're 18 and have about 5 minutes experience. You'll be broke by next week if they send you out as an agent on your own and 99.9% of people won't like conducting the most significant financial transaction of their life with someone younger than most of their pets ;)

Perhaps you need to use all these extra hours to study something useful. Property development degree, property valuation, project management, marketing - most real estate agents could do with studying English again - it's sought not sort after!

3. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Hi Nathan. Please understand......I welcome your enthusiasm and belief in yourself.

However, I have also met the likes of you in my past dealings with real estate agents. I remember dealing with a real estate agent about your age years ago and he truly didn't understand that I had the financial means to buy and sell..........and just because I wasn't wanting to move as quickly as he would like, he lost me.

What I want/need in an agent is someone that has lived life and that I can talk to without me feeling as though I have to deal with another sales pitch that I've already heard.

Trust comes from knowing and living and being able to sit in someone else's shoes.

You can be great one day by continuing to hold the same belief you have in yourself right now. But don't jump too high too fast......or you will feel frustrated without ever truly understanding why.

Being a good at your job is one thing. Being able to relate to those you serve is another......and that comes with life and experience. There's isn't a fast track in jobs that depend upon relationships.

You want to fast track your career.......perhaps seek out something that doesn't involve relationships. Try IT. Google boot champ perhaps. According to today's news, you invest in 13 week training course for some $14,000 USD, you could springboard into a $100,000 job at completion.

About me.......I decided to study psychology, sociology and philosophy as a mature aged student. I did a triple major. I am glad that I did it when I did it. The younger version of me would never have understood why I was successful as a mature aged student....and the mature version of me was better able than the younger version of me because I had lived a life prior to returning to study.

Sorry. I don't know how to be nicer with my truth. Don't run to fast. Saviour the knowledge and experience of those around you. Find your mentor..........find someone that can help you get past your frustrations and enjoy the day to day of learning.

Put in another way that you may relate to. If you were asked about a 10 year old genius being able to work as a real estate agent. Would you trust their knowledge as a genius at age 10.....or would you rather they combined their genius with a tad more life experience so that you could perhaps more readily relate to them.

HUGH72 and Ace in the Hole like this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't think that is an age thing. There is a kid in an area I have looked into and I have been to a lot of his home opens. He treats every person who walks in the door like a serious buyer. He has done very well in this area because he treats people with respect and takes every person seriously.

I have seen much older agents dismiss certain people as buyers because they didn't fit their profile of what a buyer looks like.

Stu and Nathan Simon like this.
  5. Matthe_w

Matthe_w Active Member

At such a young age if you go ahead and do it and it doesn't work out what have you lost? If anything a number of valuable lessons would be gained.

If you want something go out and get it.

Nathan Simon likes this.
  6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Your situation is not new and is applicable to a lot of professions.
    ie a young fella with enthusiasm wanting to take on the world..
    I have 3 words of advice for some one in your position [ and can be applied to any industry]:

1. Integrity
    2.Humility/Empathy/EQ/Relationships
    3.Technical Competence

Not saying you don't have any of the three, but the genuine pursuit [and continual improvement ] of the above 3 at that age will see you in the position you seek [ ie running your own show-successfully] quicker than anyother method.

wylie likes this.
  7. Investing101

Investing101 Well-Known Member

If you have to ask, your not ready. But no one can tell you that. If you believe you can, then you can.
    Being a real estate agent is far from rocket science, just don't hit your thumb with the hammer.

Being a great and successful real estate agent takes more then anyone could write in any post here. (except maybe bran)

You cant avoid people judging you for your age. just look at the number of 'you can do it' posts vs 'you probably cant do it' posts and there you will find the % of people who see you being successful or not from what they only know of you by posting here. If your first post didn't include your age and only asked 'what does it take to be good independent agent?' would you have gotten a different response?
    If your age concerns you then it will concern others. If you brush it off when people remark 'geez your young' then they probably will too.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

wylie likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Something people might not have considered is the OP could work in an agency where he really is not being developed. I have experienced this. People are saying 'be patient' and 'it will happen'. My first job out of uni with an IT degree was photocopying. The guy who ran the business was a nut and wouldn't let any of the IT guys near 'his' system. He just made us do busy work until we quit.

@Nathan Simon, you are going to need a good mentor whether they are inside the agency or outside the agency. If not, you are just wasting your time and you won't get anywhere.

Nathan Simon likes this.
  9. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Don't worry mate, soon COOMERA are will be the fastest growing suburbs in SEQ region after the big Westfield mall is completely built.

See: A decade of planning sees Coomera flourish

I've seen from the RE annual trend is picking up http://www.realestate.com.au/neighbourhoods/upper coomera-4209-qld

Therefore people will start to look for this area be it any property (H&L package) or even existing ones.

10. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

I wish I had your drive at 18yo.

When you go to bed each night, think of what you did that day to take a step closer to your goal. No matter how minor it is, if each day you took one step closer to your end goal - you will get there.

Read Slight Edge by Jeff Olsen. That helped my mindset alot.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Michael

11. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

You have a few options:

- Ask your current boss, or
    - Find another place that has an opening, or
    - Find an agency that will take you on commission only

12. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Hey @Nathan Simon,
    Your belief in yourself will play a big part which by the sounds of it you have, at the same time, working some years for a great REA/mentor can definitely help fast track ones success and you'd be able to learn a lot so that's also something to take into consideration.
    Like a few have said here, if you carry yourself in a professional manner, and with confidence, I don't think age will be a big barrier.

Nathan Simon likes this.
  13. surfer_au

surfer_au New Member

It's pretty much the same in every profession. Would you trust a 18yr old surgeon?

As others said, keep at it. Being young, ambitious, knowing what you want already separates you from many of your "age peers". You will get there, keep working and learning, keep your options open and evaluate what works for and what not, don't get burnt out, don't let negativity get to you, ...

Nathan Simon likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia